Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

These scenes are what drew me back to Guiding Light after not watching for several years. I was channel surfing and "Nola" caught my eye. I fell in love with her right away and rooted for her. Of course, I had missed everything leading up to this, or otherwise I might have been more sympathetic to Kelly and Morgan. Just adore Lisa Brown!

• Members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfR3QMiILc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ELIIggXEE&list=UUMzfXBdkJBnz14rGTDBnVDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTzDbrSWi3M&list=UUMzfXBdkJBnz14rGTDBnVDw

I'd seen a little of Nola's aborted wedding but not the rest. Such gorgeous scenery. And the Bauer pool on location! And actual boarders at the boarding house! They didn't last long, apparently. I wonder who played them. The old man looks familiar.

If I'd been writing the show - and it's a good thing I wasn't as I would have been fired - I would have had Mart Hulswit's Ed feeling some kind of misplaced, confusing emotional and physical need for Kelly after he and Rita broke up. He and JWS sort of have that pull for me, at times.

• Members

The more and more I watch early episodes of GL, the more I grow annoyed with Floyd as a character. I find whiny as he pined for Nola. I found him grating when he chew into Quint. I thought he was a d*ck when he tried to keep Anastasia from Nola. Even though Lesley Anne was a drip [of a character], he unnerved me with how he treated her. No wonder why she went to Warren [Andrews] for comfort. I would've too.

Out of all the clips I've seen of him, the only time I found him to be endearing was when he went crazy.

• Members

The "Laurel Falls" wedding location is absolutely stunning. I can see why it became one of GL's most beloved nuptials. How long after this was Kristen Vigard replaced as Morgan? Didn't the new actress come in right after the honeymoon?

Speaking of Kristen Vigard, watching these clips makes me think how she wouldn't have been cast on a soap by today's standards when she was a teen. For one, she actually had some meat on her bones. She also had very freckly skin - not at all uncommon among redheads like herself. But she also had that incredible red hair, sparkly eyes and personality. That was back in the day when casting directors actually looked for talent, charisma and training (KV was a seasoned stage actress/singer from childhood on) as well as looks. Those days are gone forever, sad to say.

• Members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbrdWQnJZJg&list=UUMzfXBdkJBnz14rGTDBnVDw

She last aired around August 25, so it was a week. That was also when Mart Hulswit left as Ed. Such huge change, and I do think it hurt the show's momentum. Morgan seemed to lose all purpose as a character after this, although that may have happened no matter who was in the role. I will admit it's tough to picture Vigard with Robert Newman. But that story was such a bore anyway.

• Members

I agree that it would have been hard to keep Morgan interesting even if KV had stayed on. After all, she saw the character through the ups and downs to the glorious wedding. It would be hard to keep up the momentum no matter who was in the role. I think the same thing would have happened to Laura had Genie Francis never left GH. At least both ingénues left while the going was still good.