Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think the actress that played Katie opted to leave, but I think the reason that a Hilary/Jim/Katie triangle didn't happen was probably because someone backstage probably pointed out to Pam Long that Katie wasn't the type to fight for a guy, she would be the nice girl who would step aside.

That said, I'm surprised Pam Long didn't write for Katie more... she seemed like the type of character Long would have enjoyed writing.

Also, I noticed that Pam Long tried to recreate magic on her 2nd time especially in 1987 and 1988. I viewed the Dinah/Alan Michael/Cam/Harley story as an attempt at the 4 Muskateers part 2. While both sets were different, I still think she was attempting to have lightening strike twice.. and it didn't.

Though anyone who created Nadine was a genius and I think Pam Long created her. It's a shame that Buzz's reintroduction isolated Nadine's character down the line.

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

I don't think it was Long who didn't like Katie, I think it was Gail Kobe. I read an interview when she was leaving and the actress said that Kobe treated the cast she liked like her children, and she called herself a "Step-Child." so...

Never liked Nadine thought she was a kinda take on Nola and the actress who played her was terrible and too young and pretty...(I saw Nadine as a hagard has been smoking a ciggie and drinking brown drinks.) But then, the whole Cooper family was a rip off of the Reardons. Though when Nola returned it would have been funny if she and Nadine went on trashy capers. And yes, Buzz did isolate Nadine who should have been out there stirring it up and annoying Springfield but when he came back she was stuck in 5th street with the rest of the mopes and mooned over Buzz.

• Members

A look back at GL actors at the Daytime Emmys.

Winners

1984: Judi Evans (Supporting Actress)

1985: Kim Zimmer (Lead Actress), Larry Gates (Supporting Actor)

1987: Kim Zimmer (Lead Actress)

1990: Kim Zimmer (Lead Actress)

1991: Rick Hearst (Younger Actor)

1992: Maeve Kinkead (Supporting Actress)

1993: Ellen Parker (Supporting Actress), Monti Sharp (Younger Actor)

1994: Michael Zaslow (Lead Actor), Justin Deas (Supporting Actor), Melissa Hayden (Younger Actress)

1995: Justin Deas (Lead Actor), Jerry ver Dorn (Supporting Actor)

1996: Jerry ver Dorn (Supporting Actor), Kevin Mambo (Younger Actor)

1997: Justin Deas (Lead Actor), Kevin Mambo (Younger Actor)

1998: Cynthia Watros (Lead Actress)

2002: Crystal Chappell (Supporting Actress)

2003: Jordi Vilasuso (Younger Actor)

2006: Kim Zimmer (Lead Actress), Jordan Clarke (Supporting Actor), Gina Tognoni (Supporting Actress), Tom Pelphrey (Younger Actor)

2008: Gina Tognoni (Supporting Actress), Tom Pelphrey (Younger Actor)

2009: Jeff Branson (Supporting Actor)

Nominees

1985: Maeve Kinkead (Supporting Actress), Michael O'Leary (Younger Actor)

1986: Kim Zimmer (Lead Actress), Vincent Irizarry (Younger Actor)

1987: Krista Tesreau (Younger Actress)

1988: Maeve Kinkead (Supporting Actress)

1990: Jerry ver Dorn (Supporting Actor), Michelle Forbes (Supporting Actress), Bryan Buffington (Younger Actor)

1991: William Roerick (Supporting Actor), Jerry ver Dorn (Supporting Actor), Maureen Garrett (Supporting Actress), Bryan Buffington (Younger Actor), Ashley Peldon (Younger Actress)

1992: Michael Zaslow (Lead Actor), Rick Hearst (Supporting Actor), Jerry ver Dorn (Supporting Actor), Maureen Garrett (Supporting Actress), Jeff Phillips (Younger Actor), Beth Ehlers (Younger Actress)

1993: Mark Derwin (Lead Actor), Michael Zaslow (Lead Actor), Maeve Kinkead (Lead Actress), Rick Hearst (Supporting Actor), Bryan Buffington (Younger Actor), Beth Ehlers (Younger Actress), Melissa Hayden (Younger Actress)

1994: Peter Simon (Lead Actor), Fiona Hutchison (Lead Actress), Jerry ver Dorn (Supporting Actor), Hillary Edson (Supporting Actress), Maureen Garrett (Supporting Actress), Bryan Buffington (Younger Actor), Monti Sharp (Younger Actor), Melina Kanakaredes (Younger Actress)

1995: Michael Zaslow (Lead Actor), Marj Dusay (Lead Actress), Maeve Kinkead (Lead Actress), Rick Hearst (Supporting Actor), Jean Carol (Supporting Actress), Melina Kanakaredes (Supporting Actress), Bryan Buffington (Younger Actor), Rachel Miner (Younger Actress)

1996: Kimberly J. Brown (Younger Actress)

1998: Kim Zimmer (Lead Actress), Grant Aleksander (Supporting Actor), Amy Ecklund (Supporting Actress), Kevin Mambo (Younger Actor)

1999: Kim Zimmer (Lead Actress), Jerry ver Dorn (Supporting Actor), Beth Ehlers (Supporting Actress)

2002: Robert Newman (Lead Actor), Beth Ehlers (Supporting Actress), Jordi Vilasuso (Younger Actor), Jessica Jimenez (Younger Actress), Lindsey McKeon (Younger Actress)

2003: Grant Aleksander (Lead Actor), Ricky Paull Goldin (Lead Actor), Kim Zimmer (Lead Actress), Ron Raines (Supporting Actor), Paul Anthony Stewart (Supporting Actor), Lindsey McKeon (Younger Actress)

2004: Grant Aleksander (Lead Actor), Kim Zimmer (Lead Actress), Ron Raines (Supporting Actor)

2005: Grant Aleksander (Lead Actor), Kim Zimmer (Lead Actress), Justin Deas (Supporting Actor), Crystal Chappell (Supporting Actress), Tom Pelphrey (Younger Actor), Crystal Hunt (Younger Actress)

2006: Robert Newman (Lead Actor), Ron Raines (Lead Actor), Beth Ehlers (Lead Actress), Crystal Chappell (Supporting Actress), Mandy Bruno (Younger Actress)

2007: Ricky Paull Goldin (Lead Actor), Crystal Chappell (Lead Actress), Kim Zimmer (Lead Actress), Gina Tognoni (Supporting Actress), Tom Pelphrey (Younger Actor), Stephanie Gatschet (Younger Actress)

2008: Crystal Chappell (Lead Actress), Nicole Forester (Lead Actress), Daniel Cosgrove (Supporting Actor)

2009: Daniel Cosgrove (Lead Actor), E.J. Bonilla (Younger Actor)

2010: Crystal Chappell (Lead Actress), Beth Chamberlin (Supporting Actress), Zack Conroy (Younger Actor)

• Members

I liked Katie Parker. I had a schoolkid crush on both Denise Pence and Lenore Kasdorf. Katie was fun, and was a nice counterpoint to the heavier stories going on at GL. She had a good rapport with Marsha Clark (Hillary Bauer). Marland did write for Katie, but as a victim (the Andy Norris storyline, for example). I think Marland preferred that Nola be the "fun" one during his tenture.

It would have been nice if Pam Long had been able to write a Hillary/Jim/Katie triangle, where Katie - for the first time in her life - didn't step aside. She would actually fight for something (Jim's interest), creating a new and (hopefully) interesting dynamic between Katie and Hillary.

I liked Nadine, as well, but that all depended on who was writing for her. I certainly never wanted to see her killed off.

• Members

I just loved Jean Carol's work as Nadine. I felt like she could play anything. Pathos under a "happy" demeanor is a classic soap archetype and Carol always made it work. I don't think she had any good material after she and Billy split, but she deserved more.

Katie's such a bright spark during the stuff I've seen of the Dobsons. I have to agree that I'm surprised Long didn't write for her. She's not Marland's type of actress at all, to me anyway, and it kind of shows.

• Members

I went back to watching the abundance of 1984 episodes on YT. It's great to be reminded why I loved Beverlee McKinsey and Tina Sloan. Watch this ep beginning at 32:26, from the beginning of Alexandra and Lillian's conversation to when Mike arrives, and how each of them play it when he does. Priceless.

http://youtu.be/FWI0WTjebN0?t=32m26s