Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I'm enjoying seeing her at this point, as most of what I'd seen was her confused and being used by that Mark Pinter character.

I had no idea Elizabeth or Lainie were still there at this point. I guess it can't be much longer.

Andy's such a sleaze, even from the start.

It's sort of weird watching the shift from character-driven Dobsons to a little more plot-driven Marland.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think Elizabeth's last episode might have been on the "Trial of Jennifer Richards" DVD set from 2012. If not, she was gone shortly thereafter. I think Lainie goes in another month.

I still think Mike and Jennifer would have been a good pairing. I don't know why Marland drifted away from that.

Edited by zanereed

• Members

Jennifer was kind of a bore wasnt she...(just like her daughters, Amanda and gah...Morgan..the Marland prototype for Lily Walsh..)

Too bad they didn't hook Mike up with a younger, sexy "Bea Reardon," type (I know its gross to think of Bea being sexy.... Maybe a fiesty, working class mom with a bunch of kids who could have given the Bauers new blood. I always thought Mike would be a great patriarch as he didn't have the neurosis of Ed but since he could be a bit self-righteous he needed a fiesty woman to push back.

• Members

Mitch,

I agree completely. Mike was always the more stable one (at least once Stewart took over) versus Ed (especially when Mart Hulswit played Ed), although I admit I did like the Jennifer/Mike pairing. But, it's why I said a few posts above that Mike and Alexandra Spaulding would have worked. She would have been fiesty enough to push Mike, especially when it came to protecting her family. Being a Spaulding, it would always play into the fact that she is Alan Spaulding's sister, and I can see trust issues always getting in their way. I can always picture Chris Bernau's Alan being horrified by the idea of his enemy dating - or, worst of all marrying - his sister, much the way Mike was horrified when Hope married Alan.

Plus, in the right writer's hands, it could have been very interesting having Alan-Michael constantly in the push-pull between being a Bauer and Spaulding. The Powers That Be often seemed to forget his mother was a Bauer.

• Members

I think that was what Long was going for..and yes, I think Alex who was basically a "good," person, but hyper protective of her family and business (which the writers forgot once Marj took over and she became a screaming shrew) and not above doing things the "wrong," way to get good results, would have been great up against law and order Mike who also was hyper protective of his family. They tried that with Fletcher but he was too weak and annoying with Alex..(hated the actor.) Been interesting if they had married, and Alex and Mike were "two love" that just couldnt live together, they divorce and then Mike has to watch Roger swoop her up. I think that was what Long had planned with Alex knowing that Alan was alive, where he was, and hiding his criminal activities (she blackmailed him with them to leave town and hand over the company to her.) Then when Alan returns he blackmails her and finally tellls Mike what was up and he leaves her.

I would love to know what happened with this and the abrupt change in tone that fall of 84 or 85 when the show unraveled.

• Members

Great points, Mitch. I could see the remainder of 1984 and most of 1985 being the Mike/Alexandra/Lilian triangle, leading to Alan's return in 1986. Basically:

1. Mike and Alex break up over Alex's taping of Alan's confession (fall 1984).

2. Lillian, knowing Mike is now single and with encouragement from Beth, reapproaches Mike and tells him she wants to try dating again. Mike, still rebounding from Alex, welcomes the opportunity. Alex is jealous of their dating (fall/winter 1984).

3. Lujack is accused of killing Andy Ferris (spring 1985). Alex begs Mike to defend him. Although initially reluctant, Lillian agrees (due to Beth), and Mike defends Lujack. Alex and Mike grow closer again during this time, and Lillian notices, sharing her concerns/frustrations with Beth.

4. Lujack is imprisoned, but Mike doesn't give up. It would be Mike who would eventually discover that Floyd commited the murder of Andy. With Lujack's innocence secured, Mike realizes he has a decision to make - Alex or Lillian. This triangle also puts a strain on Lujack and Beth (early summer 1985).

5. Mike is informed by his Aunt Meta that Bert has passed away (late summer 1985). Mike and Ed both reel at the news. Mike tells Alex and Lillian that he can't choose between them right now, as his family comes first. Hope returns home for Bert's funeral.

6. Alex, trying to find a reason to see Mike in some way, overhears Hope tell Ross Marler that she needs to find employment soon - she has Alan-Michael enrolled in an expensive school in NYC. Alex offers Hope the opportunity to redesign the Spaulding mansion, hoping that Mike will make the occasional visit to see Hope. Hope agrees, thinking it will be theraputic to "purge" the memory of Alan from the mansion. Alex makes sure to keep Hope busy with redesigns, and Mike eventually does pay visits to the mansion. He and Alex slowly rekindle their friendship. Seeing what Alex is doing, Lillian also gets assertive, ending up attending the wedding of Mindy Lewis and Kurt Corday with Mike. At the reception, she informs Alex that she will fight for Mike. Hope starts to date Ross Marler (fall/winter 1985).

7. Lujack dies after the boat explosion. Alex is devastated and Mike comforts her during her time of mourning, spending the holidays with her. Lillian decides to back down from pursuing Mike (December 1985/January 1986).

8. Despite all their past and current obstacles, Mike and Alex become engaged (late January 1986). Alex doesn't want to wait long to marry Mike, and plans for a lavish June wedding. Although Mike doesn't really want all the hoopla, he eventually concedes, wanting 1986 to be a much happier year for he and Alex than 1985 was.

9. Alan is alive and well (May 1986).

10. Alan "crashes" the wedding of Mike and Alex (in place of the masked ball), setting up a chain of new events that would have lasted for another year or more (June 1986). Such as,

• Blackmailing Alex (as Mitch stated in his post) to give Alan back Spaulding Enterprises, or he will reveal to Mike that Alex knew Alan was alive all this time.
  • Mike becoming obsessed with getting the incriminating blackmail tape from Alex, and wondering why Alex won't hand it over.
  • Sabotaging Ross and Hope's relationship.
  • Bringing Alan-Michael back to Springfield and fighting for full custody of him (no 1987 SORAs for AM).

This reads a little better than what actually happened in late 1984 and all of 1985, at least to me.

Edited by zanereed

• Members

That read much better then what happend in 84 and 85..and you kept most of the high adventure plot points that the net apparently was pushing (Lujack going on trial for Andy Ferris, Infinity) Good job!

I hope the net execs that pushed the abrupt change got canned....the shows ratings took a dive and it didnt really recover until Long, and really Curlee and Company put it back to straights.