Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Maybe I have the timeline wrong, but was 1993 around the time there were a lot of the crazy DOOL stories that got DOOL higher ratings? (Carly buried alive for ex.). I remember AMC especially was trying to mimic those outlandish plots. I can't see Curlee fitting into any of that. It feels in retrospect that the quest to copy those stories really harmed daytime as a whole. I think Curlee would have been a much better fit at OLTL working with Michael Malone during his first tenure.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Didn't Days try to copy Natalie in the well with one of Marlena's patients keeping her in a basement or something?

Edit:

Natalie in the well - 1991

Stella Lombard traps Marlena in a warehouse - 1992

Carly buried alive - 1993 

Edited by Darn

• Members

Man, what could have been. I have no interest in OLTL from Fall 1995 on, I wonder what Curlee could have done with Marty, Viki, Dorian, etc. 

I think they lost sight of a lot of characters after those big trial arcs and the DID story. Actually, almost the whole canvas seemed lost: Bo, Nora, the Gannons, RJ

• Members

Wow....I never would have imagined ~ 30 years ago Nancy Curlee and Kimberley Simms watching those scenes in real time on video would even be possible let alone so meaningful.

I know Jordan Clarke's exit in the '90s was a sensitive subject and Kimberley wasn't even there for it, but I do wish someone had asked Nancy how much of the Who Shot Roger story was already in her mind at this point.  Every time I rewatch these 1991 scenes, I'm reminded that Billy being the one who tried to kill Roger a couple of years later shouldn't have been much of a mystery (and that guns really do make bad situations worse).  It's a testament to Curlee and Demorest's storytelling that there was still a plausible whodunit when Roger disappeared and it turned out he'd been shot, especially with an obviously temporary actor playing Billy at that point.  Roger switching the bullets intending to frame Billy was an ingenious red herring.

@BetterForgotten I actually believe GH would have made sense for Curlee's next chapter at that time.  The Quartermaines were still intact and front and center, and I imagine Curlee would have kept Monica Q vital a la Beverlee's Alexandra.  The rest of this is controversial, but I'll put it out there: The way GL made the Coopers into an atypical core family in the early '90s and gave Justin Deas lots of Emmy fodder—as controversial and problematic as it was—could have been a useful template for GH's Spencers and working with Tony Geary.  And it wouldn't have been at the expense of the Bauers because there was no family at all like that on GH.  Also, the types of stories Curlee, et al, gave to Roger could have informed an approach to the Sonny Corinthos character that might have kept him complex and engaging longer at that point.

That is all with the major caveat that The Mouse (or any other network at that point) would have had to let the writers the breathing room to do really good work.  By that point, I'm sad to say I doubt Curlee would have had much better luck at GH than Labine had at GL a few years later.

• Members

Labine wasn't the right fit at GL.. she seemed to do better with more urban soaps..while GL was more mid size mid western town.

The one thing I did appreciate about Curlee and Simms watching those 1991 scenes was how both now understood what Alexandra was going through and why she had a vendetta against Roger/Mindy.  She was hurt, humiliated and felt like she was treated like a fool/idiot by both of them.

Curlee and Co really slanted the writing to Alexandra the antagonist when she was the one hurt and was the victim....that played out all the way until she quit in mid 1992.

• Members

Not sure where else to place this but see if you can spot the “blink and you’ll miss it” moment with Jerry verDorn in this ABC News piece with Stephanie Mills, where she talks about how the buzz around The Wiz escalated once the promotion began in earnest as a result of the church groups attending performances in large numbers.

• Members

Oh, Jerry! He never failed to sell it.

I've had Stephanie Mills' Fletch theme song in my head for months since revisiting that movie not long ago. They would just throw bangers like that away on forgotten soundtracks back in the '80s, that's how many great tracks they put out in that era.