OLTL: Patricia Mauceri speaks about her firing

• Members

It's about a grudge, Mark. Homophobia can be ignored and apologized for as long as we get the grudge on. I'd say there's a lack of courage for one's convictions involved, but clearly there isn't. It's just the wrong set of convictions.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No grudge. I just think they're all petty and moronic and not living in any sense of reality. Mauceri is a homophobe who stepped over the line and then ran to Fox News for back-up when she was fired for not doing her job, and Valentini is an egotistical, arrogant megalomaniacal ass.

• Members

The only person that was done wrong in this equation was me for watching that drivel. It was horrible, over the top, out of character, the recast actress looked out of place and I don't even have the history with the show or the character.

• Members

In what sense? I mean, are you saying that in relation to the Mauceri situation, or in another / others? I ask for that clarification because (1) that's popped up as if it were relevant or absolving for Mauceri and (2) I see other posters on here seeming to sing Mauceri's praises simply because they - for whatever reasons - can't stand Frank Valentini...

There shouldn't be an implied impression that hating-on-gays is "okay" because of some sentiment that the EP is a jerk. You understand where I'm coming from?

• Members

I haven't always liked FV's actions or statements, in fact I was offended by some of his moves during the Higley era, but this is a case-by-case basis, and I'm with the above post. I'm not going to handwave homophobia just because someone in the production team may not be a nice person, and FV or RC's good or bad moves or choices with the show do not justify anything Patricia Mauceri's done, or the choices she chose to make. They aren't the homophobes who couldn't play tolerant material. It's show business, not auditioning for prom queen. Nobody worked to force Mauceri out, in fact they tried to work with her. She just couldn't do it.

Saying "well, I hate what they've done with the show so PM must've been right to be a homophobe" is not a valid excuse.

• Members

I strongly believe the homophobia and Carlotta Out of Character arguments were definitely off-topic. People all across the soap board universe have been using that argument in defense of Mauceri. "She was FIRED for her personal beliefs!" No, she wasn't. "OMG! LOOK at that horrible out of character reaction! Mauceri was right!" Who cares? That wasn't the point.

• Members

Yes that was more about my general dislike of the ABC boys club. And as for what Valentini and Carlivati have or have not done wrong, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Valentini has no credibility with me on anything and IMO Carlivati wasn't true to the character. Mauceri may have her head up her ass but that doesn't mean that she wasn't right on that one point. Ron screwed the character of Carlotta. If its not okay to "hate on gays" because of a dislike for the EP then let's not give bad writing a free pass because we like the backstage politics.

• Members

But most people on this board and others say it was no big deal, that he didn't "screw the character of Carlotta" at all. It's not like there's been some groundswell of people claiming, "oh, I totally understand now!" Far from it. They're saying "that was it?" And they're right. And as has been demonstrated, it's not out of character for Carlotta to be understanding about homosexuality, because that material is in her past. I'm not giving "bad writing" a pass, because I don't feel the scene was bad writing; it's in Carlotta's history to be accepting of as many people as she's been judgmental against, including and specifically homosexuals, going back to the '90s. If you want to disagree, that's fine. But you happen to be wrong.

I don't think anyone "likes the backstage politics." What I really don't like, however, is an actor hiding behind a character's faith to try and be professionally closedminded, even though that faith has never stopped the character from being open-minded where the actor is not. And what I dislike just as much is people trying to exploit the issue to make another arbitrary attack on a production team.

• Members

I totally agree. This one action hasn't ruined, screwed or drastically changed the Carlotta character in a negative fashion forever. It was a small thing the actress, foolishly, thought she had a chance at winning if she fought against it... and has turned into this huge thing that's been over done with for almost a week, already. People are just using it to either express their ignorance with homosexuality or their hatred with ABCD executives.

• Administrator

Frank being a major douchebag comes way before this. I obviously can't tell any behind-the-scenes stories but yeah, he's a major jerk. So instead, I'll use an example from the Daytime Emmys which I thought was low. When OLTL won the directing emmy, he, of all people accepts the award, when it should've been Larry Carpenter. In 2008, Larry directed 65 epsidoes and Frank directed only 10 (the least amount of any OLTL director). Also, Larry directed the episode that won them the Emmy. If Frank was gracious, he would've let Larry speak, but of course not....it had to be about Frank. This is only a minor situation compared to other stuff.

• Members

I don't see how Valentini being an ass is relevant in this situation either. Mauceri had problems with the writing for the character she played, she didn't want to play what was written, so they recast a role that wasn't even a contract role. Not like that hasn't been done a million times before with other recurring characters, not necessarily those who refused to play a role as written, but it is pretty standard.

The show was pretty set with the way they wanted the character to act, they didn't want to go back and rewrite scenes for a totally minor recurring character, which is understandable. Because really, how often is Carlotta on, and is she even an essential character to be getting all this attention? Whether those scenes were believable or not for the character is to be debated, but in the context of everything and the overall story, Carlotta isn't very essential anyway.

That said, Valentini does rub me the wrong way and I do not like the way he comes off in interviews, and what he did at the Emmy's was eye roll worthy. But if I were an EP and a recurring actress that likely isn't on for more than 10 episodes a year refused to play what was written, I wouldn't order rewrites for such a small part, I'd gladly recast.

• Members

PM totally messed up but Valentini clearly wanted to screw her while building buzz for Kish with an Engen-style scandal. And that all goes back to Brimike's post: "...they're all petty and moronic and not living in any sense of reality. Mauceri is a homophobe who stepped over the line and then ran to Fox News for back-up when she was fired for not doing her job, and Valentini is an egotistical, arrogant megalomaniacal ass." Valentini being an ass is relevant because this could've been managed much more professionally.

And for the record, Toups or anyone else should be able to express their dislike and/or distrust for Valentini without being accused of giving homophobia a free pass. The fact that he was is a perfect example of the "with us or against us" thinking that will screw this story. Valentini is as much a part of this as Mauceri.

Also I submit that while she isn't essential,Carlotta does mean a lot to a certain segment of viewers. The same way RJ and Hank aren't essential yet mean something to a certain segment of viewers. I could easily draw corollaries between RC's treatment of Hank's recent return and his treatment of Carlotta in this situation.

Archived