OLTL: Patricia Mauceri speaks about her firing

• Members

But there was no Adam/Rafe relationship, beyond shock value and offcamera sex, and there were probably no plans for any, so I'm not sure if this would be the same. Chris Engen's problems with the show seemed to go back to before anything involving Adam and Rafe. I also don't know if that gave them good publicity, or publicity they wanted. I think they just framed it in a way to try to make Engen look bad to blame the story's failings on him, which has also been done in Branco's columns to Melody Thomas Scott, Jess Walton, Amelia Heinle, Thom Bierdz, etc.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I went back and looked through the archives....

In 2008, Patricia Mauceri was in 28 out of 253 episodes, or 11% of all episodes aired.

That puts her ahead of Jack, Renee, and Madame Delphina, but behind Nigel, Roxy, Addie, and even David Vickers the Dog.

In 2007, she was in 24 out of 255 episodeds, or 9% of the episodes that year.

In 2006, she was in 15 out of 255 episodes, or 6%.

And PM was in 5 episodes as Carlotta this year (and Saundra Santiago in 2 thus far).

So yes, it is not like Carlotta has been a major character in Llanview in quite some time.

• Members

Prove it.

According to all reports, OLTL brass were taken aback by PM's complaints and tried to meet her halfway.

You're saying things to fit a persecution fantasy in your head. That doesn't make them true.

What story? Kish? What do you mean? What mindset regarding Kish is screwing the story? Exactly what other fictional "lines in the sand" have been drawn with this gay storyline between the show and either fans or actors? Those who aren't bigots, that is?

Not really. Good luck with that very transparent attempt at the most vile type of wedge politics, though. I see nothing's beneath you. And judging by this and your comments above about the gay mafia obviously trying to create a "Chris Engen scandal," for the poor maligned homophobes, you have a lot more issues than you're willing to admit to.

• Members

I'll say it again... Actor refused to act what actor had been given, actor was fired.

What the hell does Valentini/Carlivati/Frons/Larry Carpenter have to do with any of this? This is some type of fantasy that people are unwilling to let go of. It seems that people feel they should have the right to say "No, Boss! I don't want to do this!" and still keep their job. THIS WOMAN MADE THE DECISION NOT TO PLAY THE SCENE AS WRITTEN AND, THEREFORE, SHE DIDN'T! She was just replaced with someone who would!

• Members

You know, if you're going to say something loaded, I really wish you'd be clear about who you're directing it toward and what you mean by it... I may EASILY interpret your post as being directed toward my response to Toups, or some attempt to create a negative translation of my comments - even though it would be a total regurgitation.

I didn't make any accusations, I asked for some clarity, and I merely pointed out how an EP being thought of as an a-hole is apples & oranges to the Mauceri deal.

Looking back on this thread, A LOT of the debate here stems from hazy commentary (or stuff coming out of left field) that practically insists a reader ask who it's directed toward / what it means / how it relates to the subject at hand.

• Members

marceline was talking to me, not you, and trying to make it about me vs. the mod. "OMG you attacked Toups!" I never attacked Toups, and I'm fairly positive Toups knows that.

As for articulating what she means by any of the inflammatory things she says like "'the 'my gay or the highway agenda' of Kish" or "they did the same thing they did to Carlotta that they did to Hank," (which they didn't, but let's not that get in the way of yet another attempt by marceline to make this a cynical wedge issue) that's never been her strong suit. It's enough to drop a bomb, go too far, offend a lot of people, and then skulk away with an attempt at a modicum of civility (too late) by saying "well, I think it's time for me to go back to the shadows..."

• Members

Unfortunately, I think Mauceri's interviews seem to be picking up some steam. I opened the AOL welcome page a couple of days ago and there was her pic with the caption 'Soap Actress Fights Back'. BTW, I've never seen the film, "I Think I Do', but I've just read a blog about Mauceri starring (co-starring? Having a bit role?) in the film with Tuc Watkins! I tried to find the original AOL article and ending up finding the blog reporting the film.

I see that We Love Soaps reported about it too. (Sorry if it's already come up)

I don't know what to make of that, just yet. I still think she went to far to equate her own life and personal beliefs with that of Carlotta's. The movie was released in 1997... is she claiming that she only recently became a Christian and would never do anything supportive of homosexuality (off or onsreen)? What role did she play in the movie, did anyone see it?

• Members

Again, other things are being dragged into this issue. Things that really don't help her case at all.

She never should've gone to the media about this. She's a 60 year old 59 year old Latina actress. Jobs are scarce enough already. Making herself seem difficult to get along with will make it even worse.

This was just a really bad move on her part. I'm not blaming her for the "leak," but going to FOX was definitely kicking this thing into overdrive.

• Members

Yep, I agree with you. It would certainly generate a lot of prayer and personal conflict, particularly among older Catholics.

Had they painted Carlotta as a judgmental homophobe, IMO it would have been equally offensive to the Catholic faith. I think a good Catholic would spend time in meaningful prayer and seeking forgiveness for homophobic attitudes also. I wonder what the response would have been had the actress challenged, by reason of personal belief and faith, being written as a homophobe.

• Members

Which leads me to the point that Carlotta is Carlotta (and Patricia is Patricia), not the voice of the Catholic people, Latina mothers, or any other group for that matter. I think fans and the folks behind the scenes are way too wrapped up in political correctness and their own agendas that they are sacrificing such juicy storyline opportunites by ignoring just how gritty, raw, and imperfect life can be. Personally, I think homophobia in a gay storyline coming from a friendly, (questionably) beloved character is the way to go... a refreshing move instead of always passing the buck to some demonized dayplayer. Eileen Fulton and Clint Ritchie weren't too fond of having to play "the heavy" in similar situations, but I welcome the idea of well-known characters pushing our buttons and making us question our allegiances. There are plenty of fans out there who DO have a problem with homosexuality, Patricia is not stepping on everybody's toes. I am a Christian and admittedly, I have an issue with atheists, but that doesn't stop me from loving the ones who are my friends and family members. Not to be all Ellen Wheeler here, but I think if we all were a little more open to understanding where people are coming from even when their beliefs don't jive with ours we'd be much closer to mending our differences than when we immediately haul off and drag out the crosses to nail them to.

Archived