OLTL: Patricia Mauceri speaks about her firing

• Members

I find it hilarious that there are these entertainers who are intolerant of homosexuality -- yet they are willingly pursuing a career in the gayest field this side of fashion... the performing arts. That's like moving to Tijuana and complaining about the Mexicans living in your neighborhood. :rolleyes:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I was skeptical of this story at the time that it was reported, and wanted to give PM the benefit of the doubt, but I guess now I'll eat my words. This makes me sad as someone who has been a fan of hers for a long time, and the fact that she went running to Fox News to cry that the big bad gay mafia in the entertainment biz was intolerant of her intolerance just makes me angry. I'm sure Fox was all too happy to help an older woman of color burn any bridges she might have left in the tv industry, seeing as how it promotes Ann Coulter as some sort of ideal of femininity.

That said, what aired on Thursday and Friday was not worth any of this ugliness, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not actually sure whether I think that Carlotta reacting positively to the implication that her son was gay was in-character (I do think that it's stupid that anyone, let alone his mother, would think Cristian was gay after he has been such a horndog with women for all of these years. I would have at least been impressed, if stunned, if the book were called "How to Tell Your Parents You Are LGBTQ" and Carlotta reassured him, "Love is fluid, mijo, and it exists on a continuum, and you just have so much love to give. Heaven knows we've all seen you give it to just about every woman in Llanview except Viki and Renee for all of these years, so it's only natural that eventually that love could not be limited by something like labels or gender, which are socially constructed to begin with"). But everything about the scenes was painfully contrived - from Carlotta's tangential connection to the Kyle and Fish story, to the exposition-laden recap of everything that's been going on in Cristian's life in the past six months or however long it's been since Carlotta last appeared, to the goofy mix-up with the book. And what on earth was the point? Maybe the intent was to send some sort of message to young viewers who might be in Fish's shoes that their parents may surprise them, no matter how strict they have been in the past? Well, if that was the point, I think the disruption in continuity caused by having to recast Carlotta put a damper on that. I don't think it would have been much comfort to me when I was coming out to see a story in which a character's mother found out he was gay and suddenly morphed in Carmen Santos from Guiding Light, but she was totally loving and accepting.

If the actress is a homophobe and was becoming increasingly unpleasant to be around for what may be the gayest cast and crew in daytime, then by all means, phase her out. (Especially if this was not the first instance of the actress taking liberties with scripts to suit her agenda. I have to say, I'm suddenly remembering a bizarre scene about a year ago, in which Carlotta got wind of Cristian's plans to marry what's-her-name so she could stay in the country, and lectured him about how marriage is a sacred thing between a man and a woman who love each other. At the time, that struck me as such an odd line of dialogue for a show with an openly gay head writer, in the midst of Proposition 8 no less, but I wrote it off as some sort of tongue-in-cheek line meant to poke fun at those who are opposed to gay marriage that just fell flat. Now I can only guess that the actress ad libbed that line as part of her newfound desire to use this show as a vehicle to spread her message of Christian love and charity, and they were unable to do a retake because of its ever-shrinking production budget.) She's barely on the show to begin with. But all of this dirty laundry did not need to be aired, and I for one derive no satisfaction from knowing that an actress I used to respect has come to believe that God wants her to hate people like me. This was poorly handled by the show, IMO...

• Members

I suspect its on a fast track because Ron knows time is running out to tell the story he wants to tell, whatever that is. The fact that Stacy's involved shows that Frons is already giving his "input", the ratings have been stagnant and ABC is clearly focusing on AMC. Ron's gonna tell his story and if it means writing Carlotta OOC or treating Layla like a speedbump (again) then so be it.

• Members

I don't know where people are getting this skewed mother goose image of Carlotta from. Yes she's always been gracious...but she's also always been self-righteous and judgemental...with a clear conservative & traditional value system. Even if PM's own personal views about homosexuality aren't progressive, she was right in that Carlotta wouldn't react the way she did yesterday. That was completely out of character. The whole thing came off as painfully phony.

• Members

Layla's hardly been a "speedbump." This storyline is the most characterization and rooting value that character's ever had. Fans actually like her and are interested in her for once. They feel for her. I've seen a surge of investment in Layla since this began. Sumpter's done her best work, as opposed to standing around twirling her bangs, saying things like, "You go, Vang/Adriana!" Here, she doesn't have to be Kelly Rowland to other airhogs anymore. And don't try to tell me Scott Evans and Claywell have hogged the airtime for Layla, because that's plain false. They've represented Fish and Layla equally here, with Kyle still on the outside somewhat, because the story is still building.

• Members

Then, the only other possible reaction would be for Carlotta to go off on a tirade, preaching how much she wishes Cristian wasn't gay and start denying him until he goes into some kind of Christian Conversion Therapy -- which would do what to both the Carlotta and Cristian character? Make them sympathetic? Carlotta refusing to accept her son and Cristian being forced deal with a negative stigma brought upon by his mother... AFTER showing that he is tolerant of Fish's orientation?

st

Fine. A devout Catholic like Carlotta has the possibility of being intolerant and assertive in regards to Cristian's "newly discovered" homosexual orientation. But I, as a person who is gay and raised and a participating member in a black Baptist church, thinks the idea that Carlotta saying that her faith is what allowed her to accept her son rather than using her faith to disown him.

I think the only reason it came off phony was due to the fact that an actress who hasn't played this type of role on soaps in years -- if ever -- tried too hard to "be" Carlotta, rather than tell the truth of the moment. The truth of that scripted moment remains. A mother, who is aware of what's going on outside of her church, is attempting to let her son know that he is still love and accepted by her. In the end, what the f**k is so horrible and out of character about that?

We're often told that we think we know how we'd react to something until we're actually faced with it. I think that philosophy holds true here.

• Members

It would appear Ms.Mauceri has found a new calling and wants give speeches and hangout at Fox News.

Let's get one thing very very very born agian Christians but still act on Soaps.

One of them just won an Emmy last week.

I will never get why it's only the gay stuff but not the cheating and murder and stuff that Christans have a problem with on soaps.

There's nothing in the Bible that says being gay is worse than cheating on your Spouse.

Archived