AMC: Daytime Confidential confirming production moving to LA

• Members

The City was in the same studio as Loving,ABC-TV 24 at 320 West 66th street.

This studio is where The View is now produced and for about 5 years,portions of the loft set were used on the show. AMC (and soon OLTL) is in the studio down the hall called ABC-TV 23. Ryan's Hope was in the The View/Loving/The City studio from 1985-89 and Loving was in the AMC/soon to be OLTL studio from 1983-89. LOVING moved to the TV-24 studio in late 1989 and AMC moved into the TV-23 in March 1990.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think it's happened since the 50's or 60's.....and not more than once or twice.

None of the current soaps have ever changed coasts.

I would've said it never happened, but I just read the other day somewhere (maybe here, lol) where someone mentioned that a soap I'd never heard of had suffered from a move from NY to LA.

I do know that the 60's saw a big exodus of all kinds of productions from NY to LA, from The Tonight Show to every game show there was at the time.

• Members

According to Wikipedia,Glendale is near Glassell Park,so it has to be the KABC Broadcast Center studios.

http://gallery.bostonradio.org/2008-11/la/284-8474-sm.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendale,_California

Glassell Park neighborhoods of East Los Angeles. The Golden State, Ventura, Glendale, and Foothill freeways run through the city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glassell_Park,_Los_Angeles,_California

• Members

I don't think it will impact AMC's ratings seriously. They have nothing to lose ratings-wise, especially when the ABC soaps seem to be doing just about the same.

If a lot of the cast doesn't want to make the move and their contracts are up before the move or whatever, it could be a problem. But who knows if actors leaving will seriously impact the ratings anyway at this point?

The only worrying thing is if this relocation is costing too much money, even if it will save the show a lot of money in the long-run.

• Members

It's going to totally ruin the show! It will all be different!

You know, the same way that Ugly Betty is unrecognizable since it moved from LA to NY. Or the X-Files was when it went from Vancouver to LA. Or Fringe will be when it goes from NY to Vancouver...

• Members

Here's the thing, though....I didn't believe that original DC article, because it sounded like bullish to me....and I was wrong. And in that original article, the same insiders who said that AMC was moving to L.A. also said that GH and AMC were safer than OLTL, because GH was ABC's signature soap, and AMC had built "legacy" characters over the years, whether or not they still remained on the show (I disagreed with that, since OLTL has done the same, IMO, but that's what the "insider" said).

So I have to believe, unfortunately for me, that if these insiders were right about this move for AMC, they are also likely right about AMC being safer than OLTL.

• Members

I think 3 things are going to save the show money:

1) NY rent is EXPENSIVE. They own the studio where OLTL will be filming (AMC's old studio), but they didn't own OLTL's studio. So that huge rent is gone after December. (And if it's KABC studios where they'll be filming AMC in L.A., ABC owns that studio, so no rent there, either).

2) Their set in NY is so small that sets had to be taken down and put up over and over, on a daily basis. And that was done by expensive union workers. In LA, the studio is twice the size, so sets can be up permanently.

3) I really think they're banking on losing some "big" salaries with this move, since some actors won't want to relocate.

• Members

Everyone keeps discussing losing cast members and what not. If they are under contract does that matter? I can see Susan Lucci having a clause in her contract about this but some of the others probably don't, I'm not sure how the whole thing works and what not.

Archived