AMC: Daytime Confidential confirming production moving to LA

• Members

I think it's short-sighted on both counts. The Price is Right is declining now, thanks to Bob Barker's retirement and the poor replacement Drew Carey. The View is a show all on its own universe and not easily replicated.

I also don't understand how they can shrink two soaps with such large casts and stories down to a half-hour. What I really hate is I know they probably won't even consider GH shrinking and that's the show which COULD shrink, because the show is completely hollowed.

OLTL, far from flawless, is the one soap on ABC which has managed to maintain some history, continuity, and quality, and identity. And their reward is a push out the door and probably cutting a half hour.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So take a 40% paycut and move -- or take a 100% paycut and quit. Makes sense to me.

I am so proud to be an All My Children fan right about now (judgment coming so tune out if you're sensitive to it). Unlike those disloyal Guiding Light fans who only took over Lifetime's message boards and organized rallies and petitions AFTER THE FACT that the show had been canceled and given an expiration date, my fellow LOYAL All My Children fans speak nothing but gutter sshit about the show, predicting most of the cast will be eliminated and that the show will inevitably be canceled... all because it's switching coasts. THIS is the kind of gratitude and optimism the genre needs if it's ever to last. Not that pessimistic rallying and holding out hope.

Also... if I may weigh in on the Eden Riegel thing... WTF does she care about the Hair/Makeup team? She abandons them every chance she gets forever on the search for something better. :rolleyes:

• Members

OLTL has to be under budget, every other week the studio is dark because they are so far ahead of schedule. Having said that, there is no reason for them to leave NYC. If AMC's current studio is 30% bigger then OLTL's, then they can easily set up permanent sets that are most frequently used and save even more money. AMC is (or at least was) a more brand able name, but it is going through one of the longest and most painful image crisis's I have ever seen. This change might be a good thing for AMC if, with this change, there are some behind the scene changes as well. As for OLTL, they maintain there cast, improve there studio space (historically complained about by actors for being a basement) and add space for more permanent sets and more outdoor scenes, which they have already started with great success, IMO. As far as I can see, ABCD is doing what it has to to keep its line-up intact. That includes all 3 shows. I don't see this as a ploy to slowly and painfully kill their daytime line-up. For God's sake, they own their shows. It's not like the other shows. They have no licensing fees, the shows aren't owned by major advertisers that can't be offended if they cancel one of their shows, especially in these HARD economic times. If ABCD didn't care about their line-up, they would pull the plug, plain and simple. Not to mention they replay the entire line-up for free on SoapNet. This is a good move, fiscally speaking, and should be looked at positively in my opinion.

• Members

Thanks. I now get how turning OLTL and AMC into 30 minute shows would help slash the budget.

I take it back, my sense of humor is not weird. It is just different.

I don't think I agree. TPIR's struggles does not mean that other new game shows will fail. Game shows can have a nice loyal audience. Talk shows can have success for a few years before tanking. I can't blame ABC and CBS for experimenting. ABC especially is trying to save their shows. I think that it is futile, but you never know, something good could happen.

• Members

GOD, I wish my lovely DaytimeFan was still around. He'd know what's up.

Eh. Daytime is dying across the board. I hate to be one of those doom-and-gloomers, but I just can't shake the dull, lifeless feeling that I'm getting from daytime. This is a little pocket of TV programming that once was a lively, thriving world of its own that didn't need to rely on primetime to survive. Daytime had its own group of stars that were famous just for being in daytime, from the soap actors and actresses to the game show hosts and panelists, to the talk show hosts, and so on. It's sad, but it's whatever.

• Members

R, You and I will never agree on the ER situation but look at it this way: if you had her eyebrows you'd care about hair and makeup too. ;)

While I have to admit I don't care that much about who stays or goes, I must say that I hate, hate, HATE seeing any show leave NYC. I love that city and I hate watching it lose more of the TV/film business especially to LA and the bankrupt state of California. I just loathe that whole West coast "feel" in daytime, primetime, movies all of it. I'm a theatre girl.

I miss him too. Where is he? Did he go into voluntary exile? Help us DaytimeFan. You're our only hope.

• Members

Seriously, I don't understand why any celebrity twitters. The whole thing seems like mind regurgitation, and everything they say is interpreted and hidden meanings are extrapolated. I just don't understand what the upside is for those who choose to open themselves up that way.

Archived