AMC: Daytime Confidential confirming production moving to LA

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rebecca and Bob just did a pilot for Lifetime. It's a reality show.

I'm sad. First Michelle Kwan announces she's not competing and now my favorite show is moving to Los Angeles! I applaud ABC for doing what it has to do to keep the show on the air but please please let's keep the vets. If La Lucci doesn't make the move, I'll be devastated.

• Members

I'm leaving the Eden situation alone. You're right, we'll never agree about the wishy washy big deal over nothing "I play gay on TV, but no way am I gay in real life" actress. I do, however, have to say that New York City was never MEANT to be a television city. The majority of stages in Manhattan, Chelsea Piers, Queens and Long Island were either former radio halls converted into television studios or old warehouses. Unless they wanted to move to Long Island City, there aren't many stages left for them to give them space. Search for Tomorrow's stage at EUE/ScreenGems is now being used by Racheal Ray's talk show, so that's out. Kaufman Astoria's the home of Sesame Street and their other bigger stage will probably be used for Sherri Shepard's new sitcom. Ugly Betty's in Long Island City, I believe, at Silvercup. Plus -- the unions. It might seem like nothing to some, but it's a big deal. I know a lot of us remember the PAINS of the tech strike back in 1998. The show was horribly light, the cameras didn't move, the sound was awful...

Greenlee's time has come and gone, and I think (not saying I know) that might've played into her decision to leave. Who Greenlee was when she first came on was NOT the same Greenlee when Becky left the first time. Then, when Sabine took over, the character was written to be more like Greenlee was when she first came on -- but then, since it was Sabine playing her, it got mixed reviews. A lot of people enjoyed that Greenlee was being written true to form, but hated she was being portrayed by an actress who was totally miscast in the role! I believe that colored things. So now, ABC is like, in order for us to bring Becky back, we have to make the character likeable again, or else the audience won't want to see Greenlee no matter who is playing her. Sabine's Greenlee got stuck in the hole and slowly began being absolved of her part in CRASH, and then she was fired, Becky came back, and then instead of risking the audience again, they just played it safe with Greenlee. It was just a mistake all around.

ETA: Oh! And another thing. Brian Frons, only having been at ABCD for six years, has NUMEROUS other people to which he has to answer. Get a clue! Frons doesn't just go, "I want to cancel AMC, so let's move it to the west coast for production!" and everyone just says "Cool!" Do I think the man's an idiot? Surrre! Do I also think ABC realizes he's an idiot and lets him be the scapegoat for the decisions of the upper echelon? SURRRRRRRE!

• Members

LOL! Rambin wants back in now that she is unemployed. I bet they would take her back in a heartbeat.

I don't believe for one second that AMC ever wanted a full time lesbian character so we'll see what happens with ER now. I am not big on ER, but I prefer her to AM.

People keep talking about Susan Lucci, but I am wondering what David Canary will do. He is obviously aging and I can't imagine what commuting that long distance would do to his health. He may not even be in the financial position to have two homes. We'll see what happens.

• Members

Well, to me, they can move the shows wherever they want and dress them up with HD and new sets and production models to the nines. . .

But until they do something about the crappy stories and the lackluster writing, it won't make a damn bit of difference.

When do we get breaking news about new "writing models" and fresh new faces in charge of stories? <_<

• Members

Holy crap. I just caught up with this thread.

This is very interesting news and I hope this buys both shows time. At least AMC and OLTL will finally be in HD. Now all that leaves is ATWT(which will probably be cancelled before the end of the year anyway) and B&B. God help them, they're still stuck in the 80's.

My big question is this(forgive me if this was brought up):

Will AMC move some of its sets to LA? Will they move none of them at all?

Will there be a flood or explosion that takes people's houses away and voila, when they move to LA, the new sets are there? Or will they pretend like they aren't moving in the story and Zach and Kendall, when the show picks up the day of HD transitioning, be in a new house and they will pretend everything looks the same?

• Members

I wonder if they already knew Susan would say no, and this "Erica is forever changed by her trip to Africa" story will be the completion of Erica's 40 year journey. Pratt said something about how it was fun to watch Erica over the years but that it's time for Erica to get out into the real world. So maybe Erica will go off on some humanitarian mission, never to be seen again.

• Members

No wonder daytime actors get no respect. Their fans don't respect them. A-List actors fly to other parts of the damn WORLD for 3 to 6 months at a time to film movies, and they have no problem and their careers are just fine. But this move from one coast to another to continue on with a full time job for these daytime actors is viewed as such a burden? I believe if these actors are committed to their characters and the show, they'll make the move. Laura Wright made the move to play Carly on GH, after having been on the east coast all of her life in daytime. And she has YOUNG children and a husband. I don't get why Susan Lucci, who has grown children (I'm a few months younger than Andreas), would say "ugh! My home was just renovated! Forget this job! I'm staying here!" after committing to Erica for 40 years.

As an actor, you are considered a journeyman. You go to where the job is. There are primetime shows that left Los Angeles and moved to Canada to either shoot in Toronto or Vancouver because of budget restrictions. The actors with those particular companies got up and moved! They didn't necessarily buy homes, but stayed in rented rooms at hotels or apartments during shooting and travelled home on weekends and hiatuses. Not to take it too far out of contex, but there have been American and Canadian actors who flew all the way to New Zealand to work on shows like Hercules, Xena, and even as recent as the last few Power Rangers series.

If an actor wants to work, they will go where the work is. If they think they're too big to move, then too bad for them. I, for one, don't believe that Susan Lucci, who flew back and forth FOR WEEKS while taping AMC in NYC and Dancing With the Stars in LA would say that she can't work in LA because of home renovations. :rolleyes:

Archived