AMC: Daytime Confidential confirming production moving to LA

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm really not sure....I know that when Ugly Betty moved to NY, Ashley Jensen almost didn't go because she preferred L.A., but I don't know whether they were giving her that choice, or if she automatically had that choice.

I will say, however, that they could pretty much say to the actors, "If you want to go, we'll honor your current contract terms...but if you don't want to go, see ya."

MOST of the actors will go...heck, a lot of them prefer L.A., anyway....and I'm not sure there is any one actor who they would pony up more money for (with all the paycuts in daytime) to convince to move with the show if they weren't willing. Certainly none of the vets, including Susan Lucci.

Of the "air hogs," Cameron Mathison is probably already salivating at such a move, as is Jamie Luner. The only question marks are Thorsten Kaye and Alicia Minshew, for actors they'd probably prefer not to lose and who might be willing to bow out....but in these desperate times for soaps, I think they'd let them go, too, without a fight.

• Members

Maybe I shouldn't have added the part about the meeting, but the central point of my post was and still is "does anyone know if their contract would become null and void with the move?" Because if that's the case, ABC may already be under the impression that many of their actors will relocate, but ABC may also try to pay them a little less. I wouldn't put it past ABC.

• Members

I can't believe the DC article was actually true! :o The only actors I can see maybe not wanting to move or comute to LA are Beth Ehtlers, David Canary, and Thorsten Kaye. I doubt we'll be seeing Jill Larson, Walt Wiley, Ray MacDonnell, & Lee Meriwether either.

Long time no see Addicted, your post in the AMC threads are missed!

I'm also looking forward to seeing both AMC & OLTL in HD. Happy One Life is getting AMC's old studio space too, they could use the extra room IMO.

• Members

I wonder if ABC has put a gagging order on the stars from talking about it? Going to research some AMC stars on Twitter and see if anything else has been said except from what I've seen from Crishell and Denise Vasi...

Also, I agree with whoever said about how moving coasts made no difference to Ugly Betty...I think it'll be a relatively seamless switch if all the elements are in place. The only thing that worries me is that the timeline totally mirrors that of GL's new production model. Still, considering how close ABC were to axing AMC a year or two ago (according to what Nelso Branco said), I don't see why they'd go to the expense of moving all of the sets across the country and building new ones, upgrading all of the sets/equipment to HD, etc., if they were remotely considering pulling the plug. I think they need a co-headwriter for Pratt with soap experience without being a burnt out headwriter, maybe someone that's written with the show for a while, to balance out Pratt's primetime style of writing that doesn't always work for a soap opera...Pratt has some good story ideas, but the execution is never that great because the timing's all over the shop...

• Members

I think the majority of the cast will want to make the move. Most of them have flip-flopped between coasts throughout their career and people like MEK, TK and CM had no problem quitting their East Coast soap and moving to LA when they thought they'd be the next big thing in film or prime time. I don't see the big deal, people get job transfers all the time.

However, ABC will probably ditch a few of them and then let them issue a phony excuse about not wanting to relocate to save face.

• Members

The writers have 5 months to write out any cast members who choose not to relocate

With all the comings and goings these days,it probably won't be too noticeable.

Whatever Susan decides,it will be workable.

She'll either move(or commute)and stay on,go recurring(it will be dressed up as special appearances)or quit-in which case the show will get lo's of publicity as a soap icon retires,

Susan has always been gracious and would play along,saying now is the time to say goodbye etc

Archived