Y&R: Spumor

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The show has sucked since April, I've said a lot changed since then. It's way too plot-driven, too much non-sense, poorly-defined, crappy build-up, lack of suspense. Too many characters have been backburned for months, the Winters are HORRIBLY written, and most of the overall mistakes with this regime have been blatantly ignored.

How many times have I said I liked the show from November to April, but since the transition of storylines, which was handled poorly, the show has been on a downward spiral creatively?

Are you confusing that cat with the show's African American characters? ;)

She's sure running them over.

• Members

Y&R maybe you and I would be on the same page except somehow I manage to ignore the problematic plot points (unless it's way too ridiculous or completly out of character) and watch the characters/performances delivered, production standards and day to day dialogue. The plotting part of the storytelling is very flawed but somehow with the combinations of other things I can live with it. But I do see your point.....

• Members

Wouldn't you agree that its premature to call for head only after about two months? Since you said it's sucked since April.

I agree that the show could sink creatively with some of these stories going on, but for the most part the show is good. The characters that are on the back burner right now seems to be the ones that people don't care too much for, save Paul, Lauren and Nikki (however as a fan I don't mind it too much). The Winters is an entirely different issue, one that I completely agree with you.

I don't think people are ignoring MAB's mistakes. After months of ridicule it gets kinda boring. So why not just focus on the good for a change.

• Members

My overall point was these problems have been building up since MAB first took over in late 2007. Crappy storytelling for the Winter's, poorly defined new characters, weak-ass women whose sole purpose in life is to please their man, the reliance on death to propel storylines, the blatant backburning of certain characters, and the constant propping of others. I've been acknowledging the good for months, but MAB's intentional ignoring of her writing problems have been too much for me to ignore at this point, especially when she's been in charge of this show for over a year and a half.

I may not like all of these characters, but Paul, Nikki, Victoria, JT, Michael, and Lauren have been treated horribly by MAB and company since the beginning.

No, I'm not saying people ignore MAB's mistakes, I'm saying she's the one that ignores her own mistakes and they become even bigger problems than they should have been.

• Members

This they are doing and it pisses me off! The example that MarkH gave us is acceptable by me because those on that particular have the strengths that MAB can write for. Where are those strengths in Christel (to be so cutesy that it makes the viewers want to puke?), Amelia (sleepwalking through her scenes?), Tammin (she just reads her lines, barely any emotion... she's a mix of CK & AH). Therefore, it's not okay to write these characters to suit these actresses unlike the other actors. I have seen improvement in Vail but it's her character as the ADA barbie that's unbelievable, to me. I've come to like Vail but if she left, I can't say that I'd miss her.

• Members

i love Heather...

but...

if its done right im OK with her death.

The only thing that upsets me is that people like Jana are still around. Why? Im not saying Heather has more of a point, but she does have more connections to the canvas they should play up. I cant see jana outside of the kevin orbit, and i can see Heather outside of the adam orbit. And im still sad Heather.Brad was dropped. they were hawt. so was Heather & Daniel

I think you read way to much into some things, and this is one of them. Heather is really a disposable character, so i wouldnt pin any future on her to be honest. Yes she is Pauls daughter and the next gen of the williams clan, but the williams are already gone and have been for well over a decade now. Heather & Paul have, what, a scene a month together as a family? However with it so obvious that Mary Jane is Patty Williams, i dont get how one could say they are done with the williams.

• Members

To be clear, I also said I could be okay with them being done. Indeed, I said "sh!t or get off the pot".

Mary Jane seems like a short term character to me, even if she is Patty.

I also feel this show has had too many irreversible deaths. When they do deaths, and then change their minds, we get stuck with ghosts, doppelgangers, and pretzel-twist storylines (like P3's return from the dead).

If they're done with Heather, I would not kill her.

Death should be used VERY, VERY rarely. And if done, it should be written like Cassie's, which continues to have fallout 4 years later. Not like Brad's or Dru's...which has effectively no fallout.

So, I stand by my statement. If they kill Heather, they've gotten off the pot--they've decided to phase out the Williams. I'd actually be happy about such a decisive course of action, but I still wish they wouldn't kill Heather to achieve it.

Archived