Why you never got into the Bell soaps

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My reasons: The lead being Victor, the most boring character I have ever seen onscreen....having women fall at his feet for no reason that

I could ever see. Bell soaps tend to have at least one of this type of male: the ONE man at least 3 women at a time want or can't have.

The never ending triangles with these men...who are vapid, dull and have only their money going for them.

*On B&B for example, Ridge. When i was really into soaps, the Bell soaps would drag scenes and storylines out SO much that I could

literally figure everything out in 15 minutes and tune in 9 months and even years later to see that nothing much had changed in the story. The pacing was SOOOOOOOO slow. The rivalries remained the same, characters didn't evolve...Characterizations were plastic. It was plot centered, which is the kind of thing that tends to turn me off. I get attached to characters and their journeys...I like to see evolutions, movement, complexity. The Bell soaps, when I tried to watch them, had none of that.

• Administrator

When I was a teen in the 90's, I found Y&R to be "too slow" and "boring"......whenever my Grandfather watched it, I would watch a couple of scenes and there was just talk and nothing would happen. I always thought of as an "old people's show" because I rarely knew anyone my age who watched it. We were all watching DAYS and GH mostly.

As I got older, I became interested in tv/film production, so naturally Y&R peeked my interests. The show is just far superior in production than any other soap. I loved the sweeping cameras, the flower shots, the mirror shots, the natural wipes.....it was just beautiful to watch the show. (Sadly, they don't do as much camera movements anymore)

Now when I watch some old Y&R episodes, I love it. I "get" what they were doing and I appreciate the style now, something I couldn't do when I was younger. So yeah, I wish I started watching Y&R when I was in 7th grade hearing my teacher go on and on about Nick's trial and Matt Clarke. I missed out on a lot of good stuff in the 90's.

• Members

More and more, Victor just resembles another Blake Carrington. You have to take the good and the bad with him. There is his side that will help out someone and the side that will destroy someone.

Archived