Why you never got into the Bell soaps

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why the hell would you devalue or bash the ABC lineup?

Each show is special and unique to it's viewers.

And besides, ABC soaps are not the issue here. The topic is "Why you never got into the Bell soaps." I just gave my answer as to why I can't be fully invested into one, but be totally committed to the other.

• Members

There seems to be a lot of self congratulation in this thread. "Y&R is like the finest steak that can only be appreciated with a culinary education honed in the finest restaurants of Paris. By the way, I appreciate Y&R." " People who don't like Y&R just were brought up on on Hogan's Heroes and Room 222. I demured from those sitcoms opting instead for Upstairs, Downstairs and Alistair Cooke's America. Did I mention I like Y&R?"

• Members

The funny thing I notice in regards to Y&R viewers is that a lot of them tend to be ABC and DAYS viewers as well. I think Y&R has a lot of casual viewers who watch because the slower pace allows them to come into a storyline and miss a few episodes without really missing too much of the important stuff. I think Y&R has more of these "casual" viewers than the other soaps. It might not be the preferred soap of most people who watch it, but they watch nonetheless for one reason or another.

Y&R (and B&B) despite their strong ratings in the US and popularity around the world have never had the insane rabid fanbases that the other soaps have. I think a lot of people see the Bell soaps as some weird type of comfort food, since very little of their identites, characters, and lush production values have changed or gone away with time.

• Members

LOL! Where's JP right now - because I'm channeling him again!

I don't think you'll find two soaps at more opposite ends of the spectrum than Y&R and DOOL - and I loved both for many, many years. I also acknowledge that they're for two very different parts of my brain. Doesn't make one better than the other. I don't understand why ABC fans are getting so defensive. I also watched ABC soaps for many years, and AMC was enjoyable for very different reasons than OLTL or GH.

And actually - if you want to talk about shows-with-egos, I present you General Hospital. For a long time, that whole Luke-and-Laura thing really made them think they were delivering high art. Some of them over there are still convinced of that. LOL!

These shows are cyclical. Nobody was comparing Y&R to filet mignon during "Out of the Ashes", that's for damn sure. In another year, who knows? ATWT could somehow be the Gold Standard, and then its fans will say so. And Y&R could be in permanent Chipmunk-Land.

Archived