Pratt on Bianca/Reese from TVGuideMagazine.com

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If we knew how long their contracts were for, no way he didn't know as well. He couldn't do the wedding earlier, he was too busy trying to write Reese as anything but a lesbian

I can't figure out who's ego is bigger, his or Frons. I think they suffer from the same foot in mouth disease too........

• Members

To be a fly on the wall when Pratt, Guza and Frons brain-storm together. They probably have the ability to kill all brain cells in a 10 mile radius.

Charles meant to say:

I wanted TB on the show to write her like a sleazy, bitchy slut. TB wasn't interested in that so I brought up a storyline I knew would catch her interest, the love-story of two lesbians who will have the first same-sex daytime marriage. Naive girl said yes. So one week in I pretended to just find out TB's contract was 6 months and ER's was 4 so... I was all like "you girls aren't here for 4 years?" I told the girls I had to switch up the story a little, that I was sure they wouldn't mind. Ultimately, the girls didn't cave in to my desires and see my genius like I thought they would, and the stupid critics and fans were bitchin' too, it's that whole immature high school thing. I'll show them. *cackles*

• Members

Wow. He really thinks that we're a bunch of idiots. How could the HEAD WRITER not know about one of his MAIN performer's contract on the show?! It's not like Riegel sprung this up on him at the last minute.

The level of contempt that TIIC have for the soap opera viewing audience is amazing.

• Members
This may be true, but this is not on ER.

Pratt is just stupid and I can't see how anyone believes him (some sites I went to, people are ripping him a new one) because he says this crap about ER in once sentence... then in the VERY next one, he states his agenda, sorry, back-up plan. Sorry, but soap fans are not stupid and we ALL knew and could see that there was only ONE plan. So this was just another installment of "Why AMC Should Not Allow Pratt to Speak in the Press".

He and Frons are digging their own graves, really, with the viewers. TB and ER only helped with the confirmation of how they were lied to, but these interviews do not make Fratt look good. They look like clueless idiots. No one liked Reese due to what we were seeing- that was HIS fault. And he just made a fool out of JHC... *L* I guess the next try will be with JL's Liza. And if that doesn't work, he will blame who?

Oh and Nelson Branco snarked at Pratt re: his JL interview and Guza one-upping. Sounds like Pratt (or Frons) is not making friends or influencing people. I really wonder when Sweeney or SOMEONE is going to step in.

I have SO much more respect for ER and TB after this... Pratt should just stfu.

• Members

Pratt is talking rubbish because he knows that Eden is too much of a class act to speak out against AMC which is a place she still calls home(because of the close ties she has with the actors). Pratt insulted his entire cast in order to prop Jamie Luner in his other recent interview which was beyond the pale. So I'm not surprised that he is trying to put the blame on Eden for his beyond horrible writing for Bianca and Reese's story. Pratt is trying to cover his arse. Does anyone believe for a second that the HW writer would not know the exact length of time of the contract for one of his top contract players? Pratt blaming Eden Riegel and actors contracts for all of the beyond horrid schizophrenic writing is rubbish!

Pratt knows bloody well that Eden and Tamara had short term contracts and never had any intentions of signing any long term contracts to play out this story for 2 years. Pratt, Carruthers, and Frons all knew that Eden had only signed a 4 month contract for her last return. They all knew her exact contract details from A to Z. There were absolutely no surprises on that front. I also clearly remember Eden in an interview stating she would extend her contract if AMC continued to be committed to telling a lesbian story this time around. However when the writing was on the wall that Pratt had no interest in telling a lesbian love story. Eden smartly bolted AMC after completing her original 4 month contract because of not liking the horrid writing Pratt lobbed on her and how he ruined such a great opportunity. Tamara has stated interviews that she and Eden were led to believe that Bianca and Reese would tackle some important and timely issues on the show, but that it was drastically changed. And it speaks volumes that Tamara did not renew or stay with AMC like Pratt was hoping and trying to finagle behind the scenes. It seems clear to me from her interviews that Tamara also had no interest in playing a story she did not believe in and more importantly sign up for. From Tamara's interviews it was apparent that she and Eden were misled, lied to, and used as well as being disappointed with how badly executed and written their story turned out.

Pratt wrong-headedly had the character of Bianca(legacy character with boatload of ties) playing a supporting role in her own story from the get go. It was apparent and clear from the get go that Pratt had absolutely zero interest in writing a real lesbian love story for Bianca and Reese. It was clear that Pratt only was interested in wanting to pen Reese as a confused bisexual whose only purpose was to be a spanner in the works of Zendell's marriage as well as put the Zendell and Rendall relationships into the forefront(Pratt is now just putting Jamie Luner's version of Liza in her place to some extent). Pratt was only interested in using Reese as an obstacle in those two relationships. And he even used Bianca to be a spanner in the works as that is the only reason Pratt made the bone-headed decision to have Zach be the bio father of Gabrielle. Pratt never had any intentions of writing for Bianca or Reese(and certainly not their romance). So to read that Pratt is trying to blame Eden or contracts for his abysmal and ill advised writing of this storyline is appalling and just a punk arse move. It is bad form to the max!

Actually in truth Eden and Tamara's short term contracts as a writer gave Pratt and the show a big advantage in knowing in advance that Bianca and Reese's story would have a beginning, middle, and an ending(Tamara even stated this opinion herself in one of her recent interviews). I have seen numerous entertaining, purposeful, impactful, and great short term story arcs where popular actors return to some very good stories that represent those characters properly as well as enriches the show. It was up to Pratt to be able to be a competent, skillful, and talented writer to pen an entertaining and uplifting love story for Bianca and Reese in that amount of time while focusing on their characters, their issues, their love, their story(and trying to tackle important issues that all gay and lesbians are facing as couples). But what did we get? Hours of Reese and Zach nonsense with no balance, no story movement, schizoid whiplash writing, and no focus on the lesbian romance or story(and this was happening all the way back in last Nov.) Even now after such destruction, has Pratt given Reese anything where it shows she is doing anything to get Bianca back or trying to save her relationship(except talking about it)? Surely Pratt is not blaming actor's contracts for the terrible, sterile, and lackluster writing he has given Reese in Bianca's absence, etc.

Pratt could have done wonders with these top actresses and their story if he had only been committed to actually telling a real and uplifting lesbian love story where the focus was actually first and foremost on Bianca(who is the legacy character), where we get to see focus on both Bianca and Reese's angsty issues that caused problems, where we get to see Bianca and Reese dealing with their parents and pasts, where we get to see Bianca and Reese be the focus of their own romance, where we could have seen more of the family unit, more focus on the wedding, the break up, etc. Pratt could and should have shown the ups and downs of their story while having them have plenty of trials to overcome and triumph over in a compact and entertaining manner. Instead Pratt chose to focus on anything but the lesbian romance, relationship, or even focus on the lesbian characters that were actually involved in the story. Pratt is the one who can only be blamed for making such a bloody mess and mucking up the proceedings of a lesbian romance that not only could have been groundbreaking but also well written as well as inspiring(and entertaining). Where there is a will there is a way. Pratt very well could have written a good story and romance in 4-6 months but he chose not to do so. He does not have the talent and he never had the intention of doing so. He ruined it. At the end of the day the buck stops with Pratt. Pratt is an arse!

Guest dc cubs

^^ Peyton, word to your whole post. I'm glad to see that here and various boards people are not buying this garbage Pratt is spewing. To throw an Emmy winning actress under the bus for a horribly written storyline is shameful.

• Members

This story was NEVER about Bianca, it was Reese's story from the get go. Bianca was a supporting player in this from the moment she returned.

Both her and Tamara were lied too, Tamara even said that the story would go one direction then veer off in another.

After Pratt's comments in his interview about Jamie Luner and this interview, someone needs to muzzle him. Hopefully this is what will get his ass canned

I LOVE what Mallory at Serial Drama had to say about this:

http://serialdrama.typepad.com/

• Members

Okay... heres the thing...

I get what he is saying in terms of keeping Reese as a lesbian on a show with no other lesbians. And this is why... Soaps dont write for characters, they write for couples. Esp ABC soaps. Having ONE lesbian just wouldnt work. Im not saying it COULDNT if things were changed and shows were character driven but thats not the way it is. I do wish they had been able to keep her longer AND make Reese bisexual -- or better yet, utterly confused and unsure. Why does she even need to claim a title?

I also do believe him that he was led to believe he had Eden longer than he did. Now whos fault is that? His, Im sure his EP's as well, prob Fronsie cuz we like to blame him for EVERYTHING. lol. Im really not saying Pratt is to blame, he is the HW - he takes most of the blame actually. I

I honestly do think that if he had Eden longer, the story would have played out much differently. I also dont see him blaming Eden, just the fact that he thought they had her longer than they did. If you really look - on paper - what all they wrote for Bianca & reese they did tell a lot, it just had no depth or anything because it was told in 2.2 seconds and not 2 years...

However this all could have been avoided by recasting Bianca right away, getting fans use to the recast. Then doing the tornado and beinging Reese to town to help rebuild it where she is working with Erica on a new building or whatever and she meets Bianca. They fall in love, get engaged, decide to get married, want a baby, have issues, etc...

• Members

I agree. And isn't that a bit of an insulting and loaded term to use? While I had many problems with Reese as a character she was not particularly angry by soap standards, especially when you have a raging hothead like Ryan on the show.

Archived