Pratt on Bianca/Reese from TVGuideMagazine.com

• Members

JP I'm curious why you think this, given it was common knowledge that ER and TB had their contract for a set period of time. I don't know why he'd think this, and he was writing this storyline like he didn't want to write a lesbian storyline, but a storyline about a faux lesbian who is lusting after her future BIL.

He had more than enough time to write a story for Bianca & Reese and chose not too. That's all on him

He should have been writing for them like he had them long term, then if they decided to leave when their contracts were up, he could have written an exit for them, it's what GH did with Brenda when VM returned years ago

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They did have a short contract, true. However I do believe that he was lead to believe Eden would be staying on longer than what she did. (and again, i am placing NO blame on Eden at all. Its the shows own damn fault. I just dont think 100% blame belong on Pratt)

I disagree about how he was writing the storyline. I never seen a faux lesbian who was lusting after her BIL. I seen a woman who was a lesbian but had repressed that for so long. She ten accepted it, and then had this connection and bond with a man. But we will never agree on this storyline, thats for sure.

He didnt have enough time. AT ALL.

I do think he wrote it as if it was long term, and thats the issue. It wasnt. VM's return to GH cant even be compared, IMHO.

• Members

I disagree that he simply didn't have enough time, I think the storyline was terrible pretty early on and the way Pratt chose to go about doing it was all wrong. Given what he's done with the longer term characters I don't have confidence that the story would have been any better had ER stayed longer.

• Members

Pratt hd time, he had a bible ready and some SLs written before he came on the show, full time and his stuff was being shot weeks before his name showed up on the credits. So he had time and KNEW what he was doing. Pratt had planned a 2 yr story and that included Reese and Zach, not Bianca. TB decided to bow out because that was not what she was pitched and agreed to play; neither did ER and they ARE lucky she came back to wrap it up.

Pratt has said some INSULTING things in the past, but the phrase "angry lesbian" is the final straw in how he views women and even the actresses on the show. I mean, LOOK at how he is writing the show and believes "Strong men make stronger women"-- what!? Seriously, between him and Frons believing viewers should be trained- or punished when they do not comply- to watch what HE thinks is good tv, I am in AWE about how they both have jobs in a female-based demographic.

And to think that BEh was passed over for the role she wanted (Liza) and was pimped out and stuck with a character Pratt doesn't even attempt to write for (and he doesn't have the stones to write Brot/Taylor) only to be passed over in favor of JL as "vampy!Liza". If I were her- and the rest of the cast- I would be p*ssed and acting out, too. Just shows how classy and profession they are in comparison to Pratt. If I were JHC, I would be beyond mad to have to help get his foot out of his mouth by propping him and his comments with more stupidity.

I hope this comes back and bites them on the @ss. This is ridiculous and show that he (and Frons) are the problem, not the viewers.

• Members

I agree. The writing for women is terrible and there is a clear lack of respect for the female characters and relationships between women on the show. Few women are aloud backbones and independence and even a story featuring a same-sex relationship has to be largely about a man.

• Members

As far as I am concerned she can stay in Paris..... and its quite obvious ABC has no plans to write long term for a lesbian character. Those days are gone. The show can get along fine with out her, better if you ask me.

Guest dc cubs

Both Eden and TB had stated in interviews that if the storyline was good they would consider extending. I think AMC thought ER would extend when asked but she put her foot down and left when she saw the direction the storyline was taking. I applaud her for doing it too as the storyline tanked. AMC took a big risk in expecting Eden to extend and it backfired on them big time. If Pratt had told the storyline ER and TB were promised I think they would have both stayed.

• Members

I think the fact of the matter is this type of storyline should never have been embarked on in the first place.... 4 months is not long enough.... to tell it in a cohesive way, obviously. And its easy for Eden to play the card "the storyline tanked"..... I don't really buy that. Eden knew she was only staying for four months.....Eden has probably the sweetest deal in the industry.... basically all she has to do is say "I want to work" and boom 4 month contract, 6 month contract..... whatever you want.

Its been now what four years of this garbage? I for one am sick of it. It really makes me lose alot of respect for her..... and takes away from what she did bring to the show those original five years. Bianca was one of my favourite characters.... and I loved Eden.... now I can't stand either.

• Members

It can be done, it has been done, and in fact, it was done on AMC (w/ Devon McFadden and Dr. Lynn Carson). So, whatever Chuck Pratt is saying (I'm sorry, I don't speak Head Writer), that's clearly his opinion.

Guest dc cubs

I have said this here before that if AMC was committed to telling a long term story for Bianca they would have recast the character. The short term visits that Eden does work for both sides. AMC gets to trot out Erica Kane's daughter for the social issue story of the year and get nominated for their GLAAD award. Yet, they don't have to commit to the story for an extended period of time.

I don't begrudge Eden for having this type of arrangement as she's earned it. As much as I love Eden she's not irreplaceable and if AMC was truly committed to telling a story for Bianca they would recast. This is AMC's fault and not Eden's and IMO she is not holding the show hostage. Pratt is a moron for trying to lay blame for his poor story telling on Eden.

• Members

Oh I totally agree with that. That's what makes it all the more frustrating that they aren't able to let Eden loose. No, it definitely works in their favour. Its a nice excuse to hide behind for actually telling a decent same sex storyline. Daytime should not write for gay characters if they are not fully committed to them. What is the point? It just ends up doing more damage.

• Members

ITA AMC/ABCD is not committed to writing a lesbian storyline. Had ER stayed or been recast, I have no doubt Bianca would have been destroyed more than she already has been by making her a bisexual and pairing her with a man.

Whatever, Pratt bombed this one and I believe ER and TB way before I would believe him; it's a cop out.

Archived