Y&R Actor off contract

• Members

Why not?

His peers are never at a loss for story.

Nothing happens.

That's the point.

They're given scraps, expected to spin them into gold & bashed all to hell when they fail to do so.

That's like expecting Julia Roberts to be Frannie on ATWT.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When has Rowell ever spread LIES about the show. GMAB please! Rowell has always been an outspoken actress who held no punches. Take it or leave it but her outspoken attitude endeared her to a lot of fans. Rowell has always... always spoken very highly of Bill and has always expressed profound gratitude to him for giving her the opportunity and creating Drucilla. If she experienced racism behind the scenes or unacceptable behavior from her co workers was she suppose to bow down, accept it, and keep her mouth shut? My guess is too many African American actors and actresses have did just that to stay employed over the decades and she wasn't having it. :rolleyes:

• Members

She said in "that" interview that Y&R went to number one in the ratings AFTER she came on the canvas... NOT TRUE. She also made a comment about daytime only being comfortable casting Mixed race actors because they were only comfortable with a certain amount of "blackness". She seemed like she was referring to ALL of daytime and if that inlcuded Y&R, she needed to do her homework and she would KNOW that before she darkened the doorstep of Y&R, in the 10 years previous, the show had SEVEN black actors, and ALL were contract players except ONE.... and NONE were mixed.

• Members

Dee Dee, I honestly feel it's the natural ebb and flow of the soap itself. I can remember a time when the Winters were on vitrually EVERY DAY and Kay and Jill were nowhere to be found... now it's the opposite, and I'm sure in the next year, it will turn back around again. I just don't buy into this notion that a show is somehow racist unless the black characters are on the front burner 365 days a year. I admit, my dislike for the Winters stems from Neil supposedly being such moral, upstanding man.. yet standing by for Victor's unethical crap, and even ASSISTING him with it... I want a good, decent man to be a GOOD DECENT MAN all aorund, Neil just comes off as a fake ass sellout kissing the ass of the man who pays his salary, putting his morals int eh backseat for the almighty dollar. This show HAD a good, stong black man in the likes of Frank Lewis, THAT is the type of character I wish Neil could be. And some of my dislike of the Winters rests SQUARE on the shoulders Of Kahlil... I loved Sherwood, but Kahlil is just so grating it drives me nuts. I would not mind ONE BIT to have Tonya Lee Williams play a bigger role in this show, I've always liked her. But Bryton is just not someone I feel is worth fighting for... Sherwood certainly was!!! And YES... his costars get more airtime, but to be honest, Graz gets more airtime because of the heartthrob factor, and Bryton is not a very attractive guy. And Rikkart is TEN TIMES the actor, so he gets play based on his talent, although he's beginning to get SERIOUSLY over exposed, and I feel the character needs a rest. Franz... I think she's just someone the Bells really CLICK with, they like her, they get along... and she's not nearly so bad as I thought she'd be.

• Members

I don't think that letting go of Bryton is racist. What I think is racist is the inability these writers appear to have incorporating their black characters in with the rest of the cast. Why would Tyra not be interacting with people at Indigo? If she's so much like Dru, one would think her and Sharon might hit it off and be friends. That club was featured a lot the year before last, but instead they had to go and build Jimmy's bar so that the white characters would have somewhere to go for their late night hook ups. Why isn't Ana interacting with Noah, or Eden or Abby, there really isn't that much of an age difference? Devon could have been against Cane, or something that would interject him a bit into Lily's story, or been incorporated into Katherine's. It seems to me that MAB has her certain pets and can't write for anyone else. While the storylines involving the veteran's has been good, the complete writing out of her non faves, is becoming glaring.

With this news though, I wish they would introduce a new family around Detective Hotty Gil. Maybe he could have an ex wife, some kids, maybe younger sisters or an older brother who would be a good match for Nate or Olivia.

• Members

FACT is Daytime does have a problem casting Black actors to play BLACK roles, especially with their female roles. This is nothing new and has been an unspoken rule across Daytime. YR may have a better track record at casting AA actors in AA roles but let's get a reality check because most of the female leads who had a modicum of longevity have all been mixed since Daytime always shun away from casting dark skinned actresses in lead roles.

Another fact is that Drucilla and The Winters were instrumental in making YR no. 1 because of it's strong African American audience and that fact was reported in SOD.

Lemme guess... she's also lying about the blatant racism that continues to be rampant in Daytime and she's also lying on Bergman and Stafford, right? Right... because Rowell is just one big ole' liar who has nothing better to do with her time than to make up lies about her cast members...

• Members

Ugh.

Can't we just move this all to the "Is Daytime Racist?" thread, and get back to the subject of Bryton/Devon?

All we know is Nelson said he was put on recurring. So is Bregman. The guy is only on three or four times a month anyway, so maybe we'll just see him as often as we do now. They probably just don't want to pay him on a guarantee for work he doesn't do.

• Members

I didn't say anything about her statements regarding Stafford and Bergman. I wasn't there, so I don't believe one party over the other. BUT by that same token, the fact that she lied about the ratings doesn't make Rowell exactly look trustworthy. The show was number one and stayed there for a full two years before we had ANY Winters family, if oyu want to credit a black actor with bringing this show to number one, you need to look to Phil Morris, Stephanie Williams, John St. Elwood and Brock Peters. And if Bergman and Stafford would have lied about the ratings, I would be bustin their chops just as hard. I don't like it when people take credit for someone else's success. And It's just characters and chemistry, and writing, and a million other things that bring a show success. Not just ONE GROUP of viewers! Don't forget, that this show went from Seventeenth place in the Nielsens to THIRD in 18 months in 1974/75 when the show was all white. I don't think credit goes to any one group of viewers.

• Members

Under who?

Exactly.

Who said that?

Refusing to ignore the BLATANT disrespect of & lack of attention to the minority actors in relation to their peers is NOT branding TPTB racist.

It's a fact.

Douglas was a good, moral, upstanding guy yet he helped Victor too.

Almost EVERY character stands by & excuses Victor's unethical crap.

Not just Neil.

Neil has questioned Victor & wanted to quit many times.

It's TPTB who refuse to let him.

Oh please.

That's the type of character Neil is & Frank was barely in Victor's orbit.

Every character is flawed.

Here we agree.

And it DOES come down to looks.

If it were Lawrence St. Victor or Texas Battle they could be useless & collect a check like Graziadei.

Rikaart is an overrated HAM.

Hence why TPTB keep repeating the same stories with him.

So it's acceptable that TPTB MAGICALLY are able to keep all the young actors in CONSTANT story EXCEPT for the ONE Black male?

If you say so.

Archived