Y&R Actor off contract

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, that's your perception. It appears many people WANT the Bells to be racist, and refuse to see any other reason behind certain moves.

This is the same subject matter that got me upset the one and only time I ever got snappy on SON. So I really don't want to go down that path again. I learned my lesson, it's a losing battle anyway. Nothing will open up some minds to the possibility that there are other factors. So I won't bother.

So yes. It's all one big agenda. Conspiracy, if you will.

• Members

I am generally shocked and impressed that Y&R threads now go on for 20+ pages when absolutely nothing happens on the show.

This show just doesn't inspire me to talk about it.

But i can only say that it is kind of odd (after reading these passionate responses) that Bright-on's character was never mixed with other characters his age on the show. It guess i can understand the anger here. It was bascially him and that syrupy sweet Anna and their half assed attempt at becoming "The Carpenters" of 2008.

The Winters are generally a boring group of characters, no matter what color their skin is. I would be happy with Olivia getting a real storyline but could care less if the other's came or went. Nothing to do with color, everything to do with how they are written.

• Members

I agree, the Winters DID lose their protagonist, and it pretty much has torpedoed them. I wouldn't mind giving Neil a NEW love intrest, and give him some BACKBONE, instead of being some kind of Paeon or boob for Victor Newman. When you had the Lily/Kevin thing going on, we saw him being a STRONG MAN, but it wans't expounded upon. I don't know why some are so convinced that MAB is somehow racist because she dropped an actor that wasn't all that talented in a tough economic period. Do you ALSO think Bill Bell himself was racist? After all, Y&R was LILY WHITE for the first 10 years of the show, in case youv'e forgotten. Dru WAS a great character, but Rowell is one hell of a pill... spreading venom and outright LIES about the show and other cast members, one can't put much stock in any of her rantings. And Niel's new love intrest needs to be a black actress as well, not because "They all look alike" but because the show got all manner of complaints and even physical threats when the show tried to put him with a white woman.

• Members

Oh how i loved Y&R then, when Drucilla came to town. Just the simple talks with Mamie in the Abbott kitchen, Olivia, Nathan.. I loved it because Drucilla basically lived with the Abbotts since Mamie did too. It set up such a great dynamic. Such great conflict. Loved any scenes with Dru and John too. Those were some of my favorite times.

• Members

^I look back with some of the clips with Dru's introduction, and the dialogue was HORRIFIC. They tried so hard to make these characters "sound" culturally in-tact that it wasn't natural. Not to mention there was a certain PSA quality to the initial storyline and scenes. Thankfully, it mellowed over time and got more to be more natural.

• Members

Even better Neil was BASHED for picking on "poor Kevin".

If Maria dropped Graziadei would he be touted as "not all that talented"?

No.

And yet Daniel has NEVER been at a loss for story.

Never.

Bull.

Vicky has ALWAYS been vocal about her love for The Bells & has ALWAYS been appreciative & respectful to his legacy unlike others.

Look no further than Braeden & Scott being denied Emmy noms.

Kristoff & Heather got death threats yet it's NOT ok to discuss the blatantly racist double standards in Daytime.

• Members

Alvin, you want to see horrific dialogue from Y&R in that era- Go watch Jessica's announcement that she had HIV at the Abbott's dinner table. I was 11 or 12 and laughed then (and first learned the meaning of -camp-) and i still cringe and laugh now. ANY of Y&R's "topical" storylines- AIDS, Illiteracy, crack babies..rape- had the most horrific dialogue, ROTFLMAO. It was the combination of modern social issue storylines and Y&R's 1940's inspired dialogue (and Lauralee Bell's "talent" at that time didn't help the line readings).

However, i loved those days and the clunky, trite, written from an encyclopedia dialogue.

• Members

Deedee, i love your passion and i agree that their has always been an undercurrent of racism in daytime. I think Cliff and Angie on AMC were a case in point. OLTL has SUCKED as far as minorities as well.. But Brighton??

Shouldn't we at least wait and see what happens with the rest of the Winters?

And I am so anti Fishers and would take the Winters ANYDAY. But the Winters need a wolf in the lions den. Angela Bassett would be nice.

Archived