Y&R Actor off contract

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Apr 7 2009, 08:13 PM)
My overall point is, I thought of SOMETHING in two seconds. These writers have had months and have not explored this side of the show at all. Even LML was better than that. Victoria Rowell's exit doesn't mean the black storylines have to suck, but they aren't trying. Why is Eva stuck with Kristoff when they have no chemistry? Why hasn't the show even attempted to chemistry test her with someone in her own age range? It does seem awfully shady and old school racist. I'm not saying it's intentional (is it ever?), but they're being very small minded and condesending in their thinking and storytelling for black characters. That insults me more than LML's writing for Dru (or Devon) ever could.

How do we know if they are going to keep Neil/Tyra in these boxes? Maybe Bell's plan is to eventually have these characters interact with other people once they've fully established Tyra? But then again, Chloe(a Griffith/Bell strike creation) came on with a vengeance and never saw her airtime dwindle.

A recast might help, but I also think you could have Debbi Morgan or Jonelle Allen playing Tyra(actually, I'd love that, but she seems to have zero interest in daytime) and I still don't believe fans would be completely satisfied.

I think what they need to focus on(even more than diversity) is telling good story. Which I understand is everyone's point here, but this is what happens when people do a story with minority actors for the sake of diversity. The characters and actors are marginalized into these boxes and stories and then the Writers/Executives go, "Oh look, we're not racist. We have black people on our show! Look, look, look."

It's a very unpopular opinion, but I would much rather see them drop the Winters/Hamiltons altogether(save Neil due to Kristoff's loyalty to Y&R and for the boardroom dynamics at Newman) and to have them focus their attention on delivering good story for the characters they have left that Bell gives a damn about working with. Either way she goes, she cannot win with Dru fans, African-American viewers, or fans of the Winters.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But Tyra could have been established. She could have been integrated into the Newman orbit as Sharon's replacement as the spokes model for Bitchy in Nature. That would have allowed her to interact with Nick, Victoria, Neil, Sharon, Phyllis, Restless Style, the possibilities are endless. She could have had a throwaway scene or two at the coffee house interacting with Kevin and Jana about managing a small business. Instead she's been segregated to just Neil, Devon, Karen, and Gil, which has done sweet piss all to establish her as a viable character. It also doesn't help that she has no chemistry with Kristoff, yet for some reason they are just determined to stroke his ego by forcing this relationship with a model young enough to be his daughter. As a viewer few things aggravate me as much as being told by writers that I'm supposed to want a certain coupling, or think a certain way, just because they tell me to. The passion isn't there and no amount of paying lip service to it is going to convince me.

Sadly, the only character who does interest me in the Winters orbit, Karen, is being let go. She actually started out interacting with a wide range of characters when she did PR for Newman, and could have easily transitioned in and out of the Winter's orbit, but MAB has never given her that chance. I think when she gave that scathing interview, she had already been told she wasn't being kept past her 13 week cycle and this time they knew when that was coming up. I guess a woman of colour over 30 has no place on the Y&R.

Somehow I think that the soaps in general would be a much better place if the writers would just write for characters. Characters don't need to be written a certain way depending on skin colour or which group they might belong to. Characters just need to be given realistic motivations for their actions and reactions to the situations they are in.

• Members

I don't think in a million years that age has anyhting to do with any decisions on Y&R, considering an 80 year old woman is driving this bus. It's widely known that Y&R has the oldest cast on daytime. In some case, it's the writing, in some cases, it's the acting. Kahlil is like nails on a chalboard to so many, and Marcille is an Ok actress, but nothing to write home about. You compare Marcille to someone like Debbi Morgan, or Rowell for that matter... and it's like night and day, Marcille can't even touch the hem of their gowns! Even Peeples is quite a bit more acomplished than Marcille.

• Members

I'm talking about Peebles. Its funny that she's the only one that people are discussing as the capable actress in the Winters limited storyline and yet she's out the door, while Marcille, a 26 year old model with no talent is being kept around and promoted as a viable love interest for Neil. It also turned out that the role of Karen was supposed to be for a 26 year old, which suggests to me that TPTB do not even want anyone over 30 in the Neil's love orbit. I think TLW was brought back mainly due to fan demand, but then she's been used as nothing but a sounding board.

I consider the fact that MAB has been doing very well at featuring the white characters over 40 in front burner storylines but not the black characters to be suspicious. It shouldn't be so hard, humans are humans, and there will always be compelling stories that can be told for all.

• Members

Maybe Bryton asked to go recurring for some reason.

Either way, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they put him back on contract some months from now, when they have something for him to do.

QUOTE (Chris B @ Apr 8 2009, 11:13 AM)
Devon and Colleen could make a viable couple.

Absolutely.

• Members
What would be the point? If they wanted to use him, they could just make him recurring as in TEB but something tells me they won't do that for him which is a shame since he has talent whenever he's given a chance. Hell, why not put him with Amber?

• Members

You've clearly got an axe to grind against me Bellcurve. As you pointed out, I clarified my point regarding the Kay/Joanne storyline that nearly killed the show after it appeared that some misconstrued by point about the Bells, believing I insinuated they are homophobic (which, when you look at the actors they work with, is laughable).

Of course DeeDeee and any poster is entitled to the way he or she feels, but I've been told I'm pushing an agenda so I see no problem in saying that about someone else.

After all, you've just done it to me :)

• Members

I don't have an axe to grind with you. Believe me, there are bigger fish in life to fry.

Well, you look at what you said. "It's a family thing." That could be taken many different ways. If you don't anyone second guessing what you're saying, you need to put it all out there from the get-go instead of throwing out these vague statements for/against a family you so claim to know and have so much respect for.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

And I've never accused you of pushing an agenda. All I've ever asked you do with that statement is clarify what you said. And I brought that up as a point to you to not be so quick to judge or assume everyone(upset about Bryton's firing and the shitty story for the rest of the Winters/Hamilton family) is leading a brigade against the Bells, saying they are racist.

• Members

Well that's good to know, I find negativity very tiresome and wasteful.

I didn't see "It's a family thing" as vague. Then, when people started misconstruing it, I clarified it. I have enormous respect for the Bells based on what they've given to the industry and the ones that I've met have always impressed me with their class, strength and tact.

I didn't say you accused me of pushing an agenda. I simply said that it has happened.

Archived