Y&R Actor off contract

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dee dee, just how many Black actors does a show need to have, and how many days a week do they need to be on before you consider a show to not be racist? Just what is your threshold, or criteria for this? I've never seen MYSELF on this show, EVER... but I still watch it and still love it, are you saying that black people only watch TV shows if there are black people on them? When I was a child, I enjoyed the HELL out of Good Times, Soul Train, The Jeffersons, as well as Y&R, Three's Company, and Charlie's Angels.... are you saying the black viewer isn't capable of the same? And there isn't just BLACK racism, you know.... when was the last time you saw a native american on ANY show? Even in popular culture, who do you have? Rita Coolidge and Cher? You suck all the joy out of TV if you stand around and nitpick every little thing, and act like it's some racist affront if ANY black actor is EVER let go from this show. Would it make you happy if no black actor was EVER dropped from this show? Do you want that special treatment? Would it make the ratings go back to 8.0?

• Members

I agree.

I am not blaming him, not at all. But the writers have tried various things here and there. They tried making him a buisness man and work at newman, it went nowhere.

They chem tested him with... was it Kimsey's Mac? Or Bash's Mac? I liked that. I actually would have liked to see if her and Clem had any chem.

There was some time there to where it was obvs they were chem testing him with various girls on the show. But none of it seemed to work. I actually liked him and Colleen. But they would have been super boring.

Sometimes it has nothing to do with the writing or the actor. Sometimes things just dont click and characters just dont work. IMHO Devon is one of them.

Then again Cane is another one...

They have almost nothing to work. Eva is an AWFUL actress. She is playing an awful role. She needs to go - and take Anna with her. Now.

I wonder if TLW would commit if they gave her a story or if she likes it the way it is? They could always use her as a major supporting character, it does seem tho as if since they brought her back they have done nothing. Give her some friends, bring her child back. She is amazing.

• Members

With all due respect brimike, you're not "discussing" either.

I normally love your posts, but whenever this comes up, it's never about "the discussion".

You're creating one strawman after another in order to not discuss the very real issues minorities have to deal with in Daytime because they happen to affect a minority you feel doesn't "deserve" it.

Other posters are trying to discuss things but you passively attempt to control the context of the discussion to downplay and/or ignore their valid points altogether. That's not a discussion. At all.

If there is nothing remotely close to a "discussion" you're as much as fault as you feel I am.

And since you're intent on trying to control the thread with passively condescending ad hominem attacks like you're doing that's on you.

LMAO. What?

Are you serious?

• Members

I'm sorry, but when you have like...maybe 5 or 6 people across an entire network, if even that much, then yes, yes indeed, there is something fucked up about the way minorities are treated in daytime.

But honestly, that goes for all of network television. White TPTB never have to worry about alienating an audience by making a show "too white." And this comes from a person who rarely, very rarely, pulls a race card.

• Members

Yes, I'm quite serious. We don't know for SURE the reason he's been dropped to recurring, he could be a pain in the ass to work with, we can assume he has a healthy ego since he doesn't even use his last name.. who does he think he is? Cher? I don't disagree that racism exists in daytime, I really DON'T... I just feel that Y&R is the last place you need ot be lookin for it. Because every time a black actor is let go or dropped to recurring, this same song and dance is trotted out, "so and so was fired because they were BLACK".. if the show was so racist, there wouldn't have been any black people on it to begin with... ever watch Dallas? Falcon Crest? Beverly Hills 90210? Melrose Place? Look at those shows, and you're bustin Y&R's chops?

• Members

And again, I do NOT blame Bryton. Not at all. Its not his fault, but nothing clicked.

I dont know how those two could have ever been compelling and more than fluff.

Well then they should use her to introduce her son, and build off that.

But i really do want them to bring in more AA's and various other races, among other minorities, and blend them through the canvas. They do not all need to be in one house in one story in one family.

• Members

It's not the fact that they are lacking in people of color. It's the fact that they, at one time, had people of color in significant roles and were praised for it, but for some reason, are forgetting that now. Dallas and Falcon Crest, MP and 90210, they didn't have to have minority characters to appeal to large audiences (though, really, MP and 90210 were never widely watched by minorities anyway, and FC did have many ethnic characters). They didn't build up a respectable reputation with regards to casting minority characters and then tear down said reputation. If you were watching Dallas, you weren't going to expect to see a decent amount of minority characters. It's different for Y&R, and pretty much all other soaps that had a healthy amount of, at least, black characters around (AMC, OLTL, GL, looking at your sorry asses!).

• Members

Dee dee Ah.. I see what this is about. You think since the show didn't fire Stafford over the spitting incident, then the show is racist, and everything they do, every move they make from now on will be tainted in your eyes. Ok.. if you feel that way, nobody's gonna stop you. But I hope you keep watching, or else your only black experience in daytime is gonna be judge Hatchett and Whoopi Goldberg! I jsut wish you'd put blame on people who TRULY deserve it.

• Members

And what I'm saying is that it hasn't stopped TPTB from giving his peers plenty of chances until something clicked.

Graziadei being a perfect example.

The same could be said of most of their peers romances too.

Why can't they SORAS Nate & put as much effort into writing for Devon as they do everyone else?

LMAO.

If you say so.

Pretty much.

• Members

I totally understand this argument/feeling.

However i do think that Y&R is TRYING. They made a huge mistake in that when they killed Dru off she was the anchor of the Winters, aka the only minorities on Y&R. And in losing her they pretty muich lost all direction for the rest of them as none of them were any thing more than an extension of dru, aside from Lily. But thats why this time around they need to build up some newer ones.. on their own. Its never good to have characters crippled onto one character.

Then there is Lily. I have seen many disregard her as being AA because she "acts white". But fact is she is AA. She is the daughter of Malcom & Dru -- and she has very much been used front and center for most of the past few years.

Then there is Tyra, They brought her in. They seem to be keeping her.

Hopefully Nate is next, among others.

I just dont think that them placing Bryton - who has no story and has not in a long time and whom we never see - on recurring is a racist move.

Archived