OLTL: Discussion for the week March 16

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

TBH I've been pleasantly surprised by Brotherton, because with a body like that and a face like that and charisma like that, he could have easily been a bad actor. Many men with his gifts wouldn't have ever made an effort. He's been much better than I ever expected. Where I look at him isn't in the big scenes, but in the smaller ones. He's always giving his all, he's always adding believable touches.

Mark Lawson is the same way. A very solid and good actor who just happens to have incredible looks. I don't see any heat between Jess and Brody, I think Jess is a useless character and she's been useless since Bree took over (probably even towards the end of Erin Torpey's run). Other people react for her and move stories for her. I wish they could find a way to permanently integrate Tess/Bess/Jess and rewrite Jessica's personality.

For someone who uses his looks to coast by on a lack of acting talent, I think Trevor St. John and John Paul Lavoissier are at the top of the list. I don't understand why they are given dramatic stories, especially now that TSJ phones it in most of the time.

• Members

Natalie and Starr. They are cousins? Ha! Its funny how the show never acknowledges this but conveninetly remember this now as teh story fits. I cant ever remember them having scenes before. Nat going to La Boulae to help out with the kids now that Blair is in the hospital. Give me a break. She never ever had anything to do with her cousins before. I dont think Jack and Sam even know who she is

And speaking of the little ho. Starr got even worse today. Jealous that Schuyler had some girl in his place? She disgusted me the way she wouldnt leave and was getting all upset when he kept trying to tell her that it was wrong of her to be there. He's the only one that understands her? I dont like the way she's talking and acting

I loved the Shane/Rex/Gigi stuff today. The actor who plays Shane did really good and I felt really bad for him

• Members

Did anyone watch 'Castle' tonight on ABC? Nathan Fillion (ex-Joey Buchanan) stars in the show.

In tonight's episode his character, author Richard Castle, had a line where he said that "I got the plot for my first novel by watching 'One Life to Live.'"

• Members

Oh wow, he said that? That's pretty awesome. Love Fillion. I think I read something where he gave really nice praise to OLTL.

I don't know, I actually like Farah in this storyline and overall as Gigi on OLTL. I think she's a LOT better than back in the day on DAYS.

I don't have a clue who Rex's father is. I'm trying to think of someone in the past that's done a lot of wrong. Who the heck could it be?

• Members

I agree that John Brotherton is a terrible actor. He's like something out of a high school play. Farah Fath is marginally better, but she can't do heavily dramatic scenes at all. The Shane cancer reveal painfully proved that. (and JPL didn't do all that hot during those scenes either.)

I just find it laughable Brotherton and Fath were brought onto the show with the expectation that they would each be the new 'superstars.' I think Carlivati was imagining they'd be akin to James DePava and Fiona Hutchison back in the day, or something like that...and God, no....

• Members

I just wanted to give some praise to Bob Woods, HBS and Eddie Alderson. I thought they were great yesterday. That's how you play an emotional scene. No hysterical screaming or crying or painful looks of constipation (Farah Fath) just quite acting. Bravo.

Also, if OLTL is doing this story to make me fall in love with Bo & Nora again then stop because you had me at hello. A year ago I would have said these 2 were done. Now, I can't imagine them apart. The way they have learned to lean on each other it’s like being in a time warp and going back 15 years before JFP killed the best love story Bo’s ever had.

I was also trying to figure out who Rex’s Daddy is but I can’t come up with a viable seed donor other than Mitch Lawrence or Victor Lord. The only reason I mention the later is because of the scene where Shane asked if anyone else in his family had leukemia. Maybe I’m making too much of the scene but RC is really good at intersecting his storylines and he usually will make reference to the past where appropriate. The only other child in Llanview to suffer from leukemia that I remember was Starr. She received a bone marrow transplant from Alex. Could RC be trying to explain Rex’s parentage and correct the horrible Victor is alive re-write of Josh Griffith?

• Members

Carlivati is the one I don't understand. Why does he keep featuring his worse actors in major dramatic stories? I know it is hard because OLTL has sooo many bad actors, but still he could write more lightweight weight stories for the horrific Farah Fatah, Brotherton, Bree Williamson, Kristen Alderson, the guy who plays Cole, and David Fumero.

• Members
I'm inclined to agree with you. Chris is lame jerk and I was hoping she was going to smack him.

I forgot to respond about Jared and Natalie yesterday. I love them! And Jess and Brody are great too.

• Members

ITA Carl. The way he responds to the dialogue in the scene from other characters is always very real, without being distracting. He just stays in character, which shouldn't be considered such glowing praise, except so many of the performers, when they are not at the center of the scenes, seem to just zone out and stand there.

I agree about Mark Lawson (finally). For awhile there it seemed he was doing the same thing day after day and I didn't think it provided a very good measure of his capability. But as the range for his scenes has expanded he's met the challenge every step of the way. I really enjoy him.

Bree is a funny one. I think she marvelously talented but she is in the wrong genre. Where she's missing the beat for me is her consistent portrayal of her character on a daily basis. Sometimes she plays Jessica as this sweet, sappy, Mary Sue. Then she will play Jessica as a sex kitten. Then she'll play her as a woman with some edge. The many Jessica's don't seem to tie together and her portrayal has very little continuity. I'm not talking about the many faces of Jessica as in her DID.

I think JPL is spotty. Sometimes he's surprisingly good and others he just falls back on his OTT choices and mugging.

• Members

Robin Strasser was amazing as always today and her scenes with Addie were also very touching. I really enjoyed seeing Erika Slazak. Having not seen her in a while I realized how much I missed her. Brandon Buddy continues to impress me and I can't wait to see his scenes with Matthew tomorrow. Loved Cris calling Layla a bitch and it’s pretty obvious IMO that TPTB are testing the waters between these 2. My only problem is why do these shows keep passing love interests back and forth between siblings. Seriously, it’s just gross.

Archived