Y&R: Week of February 23, 2009

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This week was superb.

Cane/Billy/Lily/Chloe: Cane is a dumbass. He has no claim to that child, at all. His ridiculous threats to Chloe and Billy need to be squashed like an insect. Cane committed assault on Billy, some great parent he'd be. Ridiculous. Lily, to me, is chemistry free with everyone she's put together with. She just has this half wit persona that isn't changing and it's irritating.

Esther/Jill/Katherine/Clint/Roger/Annie: HEAVEN. Marcia Wallace is terrific in this role, Kate Linder has never had this kind of storyline and she's doing a beautiful job. Jess Walton, as always, is magnificent and Jeanne Cooper is in a league of her own.

Colleen/Victor/Jack/Ashley/Victoria/Nikki: It's interesting. Tammin can't act her way out of a paper bag but the storyline itself is quite good. I'll be happy to see Victor crush Jack, as always. Victoria, like Cane, is a dumbass. Her poor me routine is getting really old, really fast. I do like Nikki's interaction with Colleen. I'm starting the official Countdown to Ashley's Meltdown! Tick Tock...

Tyra/Neil/Karen: I LOVE Karen. She finally called Neil on all his sh*t. You go Karen! Eva Marcille is a terrible, terrible actress and she sucks, along with Ana, the life out of every scene she's in. I hope she, Ana and Devon get the shaft ASAP. Terrible, terrible, terrible. A new hot dude could really spice of Karen and Neil, they also need to get Olivia more into the mix (which I know is dependent on Tonya Lee Williams' availability)...Tyra, Ana and Devon are 'over'!

Sharon/Nick/Phyllis/Jack: SHARON, Oh My Goodness, she is the one to watch! I have never been a huge Sharon Case fan, but my my my she is sensational! When she broke the elephant in Brad's house and then just sobbed outside the door, I was riveted. Stealing the books was another great thing. I just am LOVING everything that Sharon Newman and Sharon Case are doing! I like how under control Phyllis is, her scenes with Noah were great, but Jack nailed it, she's on the edge. I loved Jack ripping into Nick, that punk needed a reality check, he still doesn't get what a douchebag he really is.

Noah/Eden: They're cute, I really liked Victor's scenes with Eden, Eric Braeden can be a charmer.

Jill/Jeff/Gloria: MAB really got her legal references right with Gloria getting off the way she did. I would prefer that Gloria just leave town because I don't think there is any storyline left for her to play. The same goes for Jeff, he's 'done' and it's time to go back to Korea. Like Jill said, she's "above this" and it's true, Jill doesn't do this kinda crap. I thought the catfight was half assed, Jill should have BEAT Gloria to a pulp, asking Jeff to get her off her is out of character. Jill Abbott does not back down from a fight. A Jill vs Gloria feud would be stupid...Gloria and Jeff just need to fly off to Seoul together and never return.

• Members

I agree. The writing is actually good enough that it raises Tammin's acting ability IMO. Kinda like an high tide lifts all ships in the harbor, the writing on this show tends to lift the more mediocre actors on the show. That's why I don't really care if Tammin, Christel, even Goddard aren't as great as Miller, Hendrickson, or Rikaart. The only one not really helped is Marcille and that is because of how completely directionless the Winters storyline is right now. Of course, it helps that none of the others are really that horrible (translation: I wish this would effect the shitty actors on GL as well).

• Members

There is gold in Karen. I can't decide if they should double back and make Karen the "fierce" Dru-like one (then, she can cut up Tyra's clothes like she's a Carmen Mess-ta)..fight for her man, win, then kick the donkey to the curb and show Jack what a REAL woman is like.

Alternatively, there is the "psycho" possibility with Karen, but that will cost us a good actress.

Tyra and Ana MUST go.

For me, Devon needs to be recast...that is the problem before. He was a STREET THUG. Now he's been gentrified, but he still should betray his street thug roots. The music he likes, the clothes he wears...they should all still *hint* at his rough start in life. The character should still have a vicious temper, so that there is always danger lurking beneath.

Think of it this way: Devon and Victor Newman had VERY similar starts in life. Therefore, I feel Devon should be on the queue to be a bit more like an African American Victor...not so mean, because he had the love of the Winters to temper him. But we should see flashes of temper and the survival spirit in him.

Honestly, IMO, likeable Bryton NEVER had that. Victoria Rowell brought out the best in him, but that ended 2 years ago or more.

Tyra and Ana must go, though. No matter what. Ana needs to go back to that music school in New Hampshire, and Tyra must plunge off a cliff.

• Members

I don't understand what possessed them to give the actress who plays Tyra a contract in the first place. She was dreadful from day one. Why compound the casting mistake? What irks me is that there are so many talented young AA actresses who deserve a shot at this role and instead it goes to a talentless reality show person. It is so lazy.

As for Devon, it doesn't matter. Soaps rarely write for young AA male actors, period. Bell's Y&R was always the exception with Nathan, Shemar and Kristoff. Now their AA cast has been whittled down and that will not change.

I have always loved Nia Peeples and felt that she was treated like crap almost from the beginning. I hope that MAB and Sheffer have a change of heart and build up Karen as a vixen. They need to move her away from Neil who sucks the life out of just about every actress. I can see Karen falling into an affair with Jack or even J.T. who hasn't done squat in forever away from Victoria.

• Members

Yeah, but they STRUCK GOLD with Shemar (admittedly, mostly on his looks). But Shemar tried, in his own way, to add some verisimilitude to his portrayal of Malcolm as a man with a distinct cultural background. In some ways, Rowell did too. And it makes sense for Neil to be the way he is, because one gets a sense that he ran away -- a little -- from his origins and tried to reinvent himself as a "new man" at Stanford.

For Devon, we have no reason to understand why he is such a soft, gospel-loving boy these days. Absolutely nothing we have seen on screen explains this.

Now, none of us are naive. We realize that the soap may be afraid to play out the REALITY of a man like Devon...his bitter background...his underlying mercurial danger. BUT IMAGINE IF THEY DID! Cast right and written right, it would be the most compelling, new, REAL character on daytime! Of course, the Winters clan would still have softened his edges...but we'd know that they are just beneath the surface.

This could still be accomplished:

- kill off Tyra. The way I see that happening, I think, is to show that Tyra is -- in her own way -- as whacked out as Yolanda. It's fine with me if she goes psycho, threatens the clan, and dies. This way, Devon is reminded that he CANNOT TRUST family.

- I wouldn't kill of Ana, because when she is older, if she comes back embittered (recast) I think she could be worth something. So, for now, I think it might be interesting to have her run away and not be found. That would create danger and worry. In the long run, she should come back with the same kind of runaway experiences as Drucilla.

- Perhaps the last thing that needs to happen is a romantic betrayal...but that may not be necessary.

Hard, untrusting, Devon would leave town to get his head together. Angry, he realizes that all the progress he thought he made in life was illusory...he was still stuck in the bowels of hell thanks to his genetic gifts from Yolanda.

I would then keep Devon off canvas for a while...it doesn't have to be too long...3 months. And when they bring him back, the recast should be a strapping, strong, angry man...I picture someone very strong, with some scars. Someone who is hard and tough...and for whom it will take a very, very long time to get through. This is someone who will never again completely trust...even if eventually he is largely healed. Like Victor, the switch can flick and he will strike like a serpent.

I'm tellin' ya :). If they do this, the viewers will have a new anti-hero (think GL's Jonathan), and if he is AUTHENTIC, I think many viewers (African Americans and others) will be attracted to an earnest, honest portrayal.

Now, to watch this Devon slowly thaw, but never melt completely, would be a treat for years to come.

I know folks will say "Daytime will never do it". But, honestly, I think they could. What would they stand to lose, over this dishwater-bland Devon we have today?

• Members

I know I'm in the minority, but I LOVE Sharon's hair the way it is. Plus, the crazy hair really fits the story she's in- what a great acting prop!

Oh GAWD no. Jack/Sharon have ZERO chemistry- that pairing and marriage came off so forced. Even this friendship they have no makes Jack look needy as all hell.

I'm ready for Ashley's meltdown as well. I can't wait until she finds out what Victor is doing and gets knocked down a peg or two. Serves her right. As for Victwhoria, she's just being her usual whiny, mopey self. This interpretation of the character is absolutely dreadful. Come back Heather Tom! All is forgiven!

Agreed on all counts. Y&R could definitely use a new sexy AA man on the show, a la Malcolm, but not him. I say get one of those guys from the Tyler Perry movies and bring him to Y&R, stat!

Absolutely. I've been a Sharon Case fan for a while, dating back to when she played Debbie on ATWT. She is absolutely rocking this storyline! Every scene she steals (pun intended) I can't take my eyes off of her. And you're right about Phyllis teetering on the edge (so is Jack!). But I don't think she's going to go there- she's letting Sharon be the one to fall apart. My how Phyllis has grown over the years- this is a much smarter character than the one that came on, fooling Danny Romalotti about his 'son.'

I totally agree about Jill, as I stated in my previous post. No, Jill does not back down for a fight and I'll say it again, she should have been kicking Gloria's ass. But their rivalry isn't really a fair fight because Jill would eat Gloria for breakfast. I liked when Jill said that the whole thing was 'beneath her' because it SO is.

• Members

Yes, the writers totally screwed up this storyline. They made up a stupid comment that the D.A.'s office couldn't find anything and surprisingly the judge had to let her go. Are we suppose to believe that Gloria actually cares if the judge told her he would gladly put her prison? I think not. I believe Michael asked her before they started the scene that the should try to act remorseful. <_<

• Members

I agree. I wish MAB would write off Gloria. She is not need in the canvas. She can take awful Ted Shakelford with her. He was great on Knots Landing but he is awful on Y&R.

Besides that I think the show is on fire. I LOVED the Friday cliffhanger and can't wait until Monday. Right now Y&R is the show to watch with GL a distant 2nd.

• Members

Yeah, strangely I am finding myself rooting for Jack & Sharon too :o ...how interesting that he is the one picking up that something is really wrong with her!!! Well he doesn't know everything yet!!! :lol: Gosh, when all this stuff comes out, OYE!!!

I think this sort of storyline is Sharon Case's cup of tea, she is good at it. Though I pray to the soap gods that at the end of all this, we will get a character who can admit that she has flaws and everything is not all about her!! And for heaven's sakes, GROW UP ALREADY!!! You are not 16 anymore!! <_<

As for Phyllis in this storyline, Jack is absolutely right, she is definitely on the edge, there is no way she can keep this up especially when the man she apparently loves more than your her own life tells you he thinks he loves his ex-wife. And when she does let it all out, not sure if Nick will be able to handle it because he seems to think that Phyllis is this strong person when she herself keeps telling him otherwise. What a messy storyline, LOVE IT!!!

Archived