The Politics Thread

• Members

Very true regarding Walsh. His struggle to get traction kinda surprised me....almost makes me wonder if that annoying guy Jon Schwietzer would have been a better senate candidate.

As for Kansas I think the Republicans are gonna lose Governor and the Senate race for sure. I wasn't expecting the race to get this competitive but it does make me laugh to think that control of the Senate (which was practically guaranteed to become the Republicans) is now completely in chaos.

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

One of the most bizarre ads I've seen in a while that isn't intended to be bizarre. From the terrible makeup to the divatastic Dance Moms wannabe who seems to suggest caring about veterans/Medicare/Social Security is "nonsense," to the creepy shot of Cassidy at the end. I hope no one was paid money for this.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I find this court refreshing because it turns conservative BS on its head routinely. For decades these republicans have pretended they respect the constitution and are so-called "strict constructionalists" but that was always just code for yes on guns/no on abortion. Now the five most powerful republicans in the land don't even try to hide the fact that their job is to get more republicans elected any way they can. I imagine a hundred years from now their decision on Citizens United will be deemed one of the worst court decisions ever right up there with Dred Scott.

• Members

Republicans routinely spit on ideas they claim to believe in. Look at the free market.They claim to love that...unless you're Tesla and want to sell cars direct in Arizona or Texas. Or you're an insurance company that wants to offer abortion coverage in Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and Utah. Or you're a consumer in Oklahoma who wants solar panels (you'll have to pay an extra fee).

There's nothing surprising that the same people who claim to believe in democracy have done everything possible to undermine it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In a widely panned endorsement, the Denver Post (which is up for sale and likely trying to appear "balanced") endorsed Republican extremist Cory Gardner for Senate. Here is the part which gets the most howlers.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/denver-post-endorsement-colorado-senate-race

"If Gardner wins, of course, it could mean the Senate has flipped to Republicans. However, that doesn't mean it will simply butt heads with President Obama as the Republican House has done," it wrote. "As The Wall Street Journal's Gerald Seib recently pointed out, 'A look back shows that eras of evenly divided power -- Congress fully controlled by one party, the presidency by the other -- have turned out to be among the most productive" because both sides temper their policies."

• Members

I don't care about MSNBC losing ratings all that much. They need a serious revamp. Most of the daily personalities are long past any prime they may have had. It's ludicrous that the morning show is hosted by the odious Joe and vapid Mika then you move on to such heavy hitters as Chuck "Starbucks vs Chik-Fil-A" Todd and Al "Can't get a sentence out" Sharpton. And while I love Rachel and admire her thoroughness, I admit that I often scream "get to the [!@#$%^&*] point!" when I watch.

The real tragedy of that article is the news that CNN - a network that discussed alien abduction as a possible cause for the disappearance of the Malaysian jet - is gaining viewers. That's ridiculous. At this point the only solid sources for news are Al Jazeera, BBC and PBS.