The Politics Thread

• Members

I appreciate your insightful comments, Qfan. I have a lot of mixed feelings about the Clintons, because I think that they are very unethical human beings, yet their moderation and sensible foreign policy is something that is sorely lacking right now in the Democratic Party.

If Hillary weren't so ruthless, I would feel sorry for her, because it seems as if she can't win. If she embraces Obama's foreign policy, then she turns off independents, but if she criticizes it she turns off the far left and gets huge grief from Axelrod and company.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Rick Perry has just been indicted:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/15/politics/rick-perry-indictment/index.html

I vaguely remember reading about these allegations in the past, but compared to all the absurd "hoopla" that Bridgegate received, I never expected Perry would be the sitting governor to be indicted. He will be lucky to serve out the rest of his term.

Edited by Max

• Members

I fully expect McDonnell to go to prison, as his offenses are worse than the things that Christie and Perry are accused of, and are even more severe than the wrongdoings that sent Blagojevich to prison.

Bob Taft was involved in a big scandal, though he wasn't forced to resign. Do you know what happened to him legally?

Edited by Max

• Members

Hillary didn't say anything wrong...the problem is the Left has become totally unbearable and unreasonable. Hillary simply said a common sense approach to foreign policy. Yet somehow she committed the crime of the century by saying "Don't Do Stupid Stuff" is a dumb foreign policy approach.

Hillary already has the center locked down and there's enough reasonable Democrats that she will win the nomination.

The indictment of Perry is dumb and won't hurt him at all. Judging by the amount of support he's received even from Davide Axelrod I find it laughable that they moved forward with this.

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

You're welcome to it. We've still got people here in Ohio trying to get them to bring the DNC to Columbus. If we had the RNC in Cleveland and the DNC in Columbus on top of the usual superPAC ad blitz and the visits we get from candidates, I think I will just have to stay drunk for the entire year of 2016. I barely survived 2012 because the right wing dark money was gunning for my Sherrod Brown in addition to Obama.

Hilary needs to put some space between her and Obama so I'm glad to see she's starting to do it now. In fact it would actually be very good for them to have a public "split" sometime in the next year. The lefties you're talking about are the Warren/Sanders folks. I won't lie, I'm not entertaining that nonsense.Warren needs at least two more terms in Congress before she'd be anthing close to White House material. Part of the reason I'm down for Hilary is because I want a street fighter. If there's one thing the Clintons are good for it's a good, old-fashioned street fight.

Edited by marceline

• Members

There doesn't need to be a split IMO. People can be allies and friends and still have fundamental disagreements about certain key issues....such as Syria. I happen to think the Madam Secretary and God help me angry John McCain have a point about arming the "moderate rebels" there. Perhaps it may have been difficult and yes they were facing a difficult enemy in the Assad regime but the same could be said bout the people fighting in Egypt or in Iraq way back when.

I just find the whole media treatment of everything Hillary Clinton says or does completely sickening at this point. They complain she's inauthentic and then when she says what she believes they crush her for it. SO of course she's going to deny you access and become more careful with her word choice.

And lol if a Republican wins in 2016 or 2020 I'm fine with it. Cuz then Democrats and the so called "Warren wing" of the party will truly see just how "centrist" and unliberal Obama or Clinton really were. Just the thought of what a President Cruz or President Paul would do makes me laugh cuz the reaction among the left of most left and certain groups would be outright panic.

Good by food stamps for one thing....or at least very tight restrictions on that and welfare (which I support).

• Members

Obama is such a tone deaf speaker and he never fails to unimpress. He has no ability to convey passion of any kind on any subject at any time. "We will be vigilant" is not quite "Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" or even "There is nothing to fear but fear itself". The thing that elevated Churchill above all other speakers is he always knew when to stress a word and sound out some conviction. "We shall fight on the beaches...we shall fight in the hills" simple and to the point and drives the point home where "We will be relentless" does not. It's a hollow promise he knows is false because he cannot go into Syria. I don't see any way for the US to get at Isis without going into Syria and that is not nearly as easy as going into Iraq. The US and Iran need to bury the hatchet and unite against the greater enemy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

This has been quite a good day in the courts: the DC Circuit takes a do-over on Obamacare, BP is found negligent for the Gulf spill, marriage equality hits two blood red states, and Ohio gets its early voting days back in time for the midterms. This is a champagne worthy day for this liberal politics wonk.