The Politics Thread

• Members

And now Republicans are ahead on the 538 Senate tracker. Ugh.

Thanks @JaneAustenfor the Rosenberg links. We'll hope. 

I agree about needing a liberal - a genuine liberal, not the [!@#$%^&*] New York Times - media. That's what Air America should have been all those years ago. 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

538 is contaminated. Read Rosenbergs thread. The GOP has flooded polls - over half in the last month into 538 also. And look at the states targeted. ALL THE STATES BEING DISCUSSED. I agree with Rosenberg. Follow the voting numbers. In Kansas there was a huge turnout and the narrative was it was going to be a narrow win for illegalizing abortion and it went massively the other way. I am not suggesting it's not going to be close, but keep looking at the early voting numbers. There are some concerns in Nevada but Mastro has a huge lead with latinos but guess what you'd never know that by looking at 538 because of all those Laxalt favoring polls. Know the 2 most reliable polling of latinos had Mastro up by 30 points. Both of them.

• Members

At least the Latino contingent by the way is on the media train. Eva Longoria along with a number of other prominent latinos are investing in Spanish radio stations with the intention of growing a progressive spanish speeking latino network. I wish we'd see others. Of course it's minority women doing this. Where are all the white progressive men? MIA as usual.

Female-Led Latino Media Network Launches With $60 Million Acquisition Of TelevisaUnivision Radio Stations (forbes.com)

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I have mixed feelings about the claims of whether Oprah is "to blame" for what has become of her former proteges. I could agree with that more in the cases of people like Jenny McCarthy, who was peddling dubious evidence even at the time, than with Dr. Oz, who for most of his years with Oprah was just the cuddly doctor talking about fecal matter. Still, I'm glad she endorsed Fetterman.

• Members

So much of what we hear about Africa is overwhelmingly negative but this article offers a glimpse of contrast. There are a few ominous signs, depending on what politician ends up in control and every one of them seem to have drawbacks (some more than others) but the steps taken for conservation in Gabon seem hopeful, for now. Hopefully those efforts will continue in earnest, irrespective of who is in power. The aspect of influencing neighboring countries to launch similar conservation efforts is also a hopeful sign.

https://indianexpress.com/article/world/can-a-nation-replace-its-oil-wealth-with-trees-8249072/

• Members

There's this tendency among some on the left to always blame someone for not stopping the madness around us. They blame Oprah for Oz, they blame RBG for Roe falling because "she should've retired" they blame Gore for accepting the results of the 2000, etc... It's a childlike response from people who never understood that you need to show up every time. They are essentially demanding to speak to the manager. It's ridiculous.

• Members
  • Members

Stories like this, and the new polls (I know they are mostly junk, but still) showing Walker at 50%, plus Larry Sabato moving the race to the GOP (along with Pennsylvania - oddly he claims Nevada is going to stay with Democrats) was demoralizing enough until I saw this. The right, including media darlings endlessly praised for how moderate and sensible they are, are now openly calling for black Americans to be deported.

I don't trust early voting numbers, so the best to hope for is the polls being overcorrected this year in favor of the GOP...but days like this I'm so horrified of where we are heading and just how few of us will be left when they are through.

• Members

Barring a miracle, today marks a dark period for this country if predictions are true. Sorry to sound so downbeat, but hey...

Whatever happens, may this country survive GQP rule again, should it come to be.

Still, I feel compelled to say...VOTE. I have. Unsure if it will help, but it's better than doing nothing!

• Members

I went and voted early this morning in the NC election. I decided to go as early as I could today because I have to go to work early today.

I'm one that likes to go and vote exactly on election day and be "out in the crowd". One main reason is to take note of various things that happen during in person voting and see how that could possibly impact the results. (Like seeing what types of demographics are showing up, etc...) My polling place is only a 2-minute walk from where I live. I got there at 6:44 am this morning and was done in like 22 minutes. It was about 30 something people in line when I got there, and the process went smoothly.

It was mostly white people there, I was the only black person I saw there at that time. (Outside of some workers and one of the candidates there.)

It was mostly middle aged to older white people there.(50s and 60s.) There were a few  young  people there, I saw maybe two to three 20 something's. I wonder what's going to happen here in NC, last time I checked Cheri Beasley and Ted Budd were in a tighter race, but he was leading her by about 5%. I wonder how things will change today when more votes come in.

Edited by xtr