The Politics Thread

• Members

I definitely don't trust the media. Beyond horse race coverage, many of the toxic operators who collaborate with the worst in this country and internationally, like Sirota, are already pushing the line that abortion is  going to cost Democrats and that they should have focused on economic issues and so on. I also know if Democrats manage to not collapse from where they are now in polling this would be a much better midterm for them than many would have expected six months ago. It's just after so many elections, especially 2014 and 2016, I have no more expectation of the public seeing what is best for them, even when Republicans are explicitly telling them they are coming to take everything they have.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This last story is so distressing to me. I've heard some people say the pandemic has accelerated this ugliness and bigotry and paranoia at school board meetings, but I also think a failing, dying country, with a corrupt media and at least one party who only operate on hate and fear and violence, inevitably has this type of  display as an increasing norm. People can't push back as they are in fear for their safety and their life. 

• Members

Oy! Inflation is a current issue that's universal and not just in the U.S. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't heard of one strategic plan that the GOP has to remedy (if that's the right word) high prices. I mean, if they couldn't come up with a plan for health care, then why should voters trust that the GOP would have a plan to solve or tackle the economy/inflation? It's bothersome to think that we live in an individualistic culture where our society has the tendency to think about what's in it for themselves and their pocketbook instead of considering groups of people and the rights that could be stripped away from them as a whole.

Inflation is an issue that fluctuates all the time; whereas, the fragility of our democracy and our human rights should not be an issue where people feel like they are actually sitting on pins and needles.

• Members

Yeah, I have my share of issues with what I refuse to call "The Squad" but this seems like tinhattery and paranoia over them (and people like Raskin, among others). I also frankly do not think Kevin McCarthy is capable of that kind of plotting or strategy. All he knows is that he will take hostages out of sheer obstinance.

Most of the time when you hear people talk about a "GOP Master Plan" in the Congress and how all their stupid blunders and embarrassing mistakes are 'calculated distractions' it is doomer fanfic about incompetent racists who say no to anything Dem. The real master planners on the right are in high finance and at the oligarch level or in the higher courts, and they aren't necessarily pulling the strings on this kind of crap.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Again, I think McCarthy is just a blind obstructionist. I don't think it's part of a grand scheme. He's not capable of it. The rank and file congressional GOP has not had a plan beyond obstructionism for over a decade - it's the higher institutional figures or money men that are the dangerous ones.

• Members

The GOP has already bragged about their "don't say gay" bill plans if they take back Congress, but the strategic figures of the party are planning much more,  saying outright they are just going to start arresting people. It's horrifying, most of all because so many do not care. I guess they don't think it will affect them, until it ultimately does.