The Politics Thread

• Members

The "experts" have been so BAD predicting this.  I know there are some here who think abortion rights being stripped won't lead to a tidelwave.  The most important part of this in Kansas is that 74% of people that registered to vote after the Dobbs decision were women.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Hard to say. I don't know that Kansas is as ruby red as a southern state. I think it's more a victim of the Koch family propaganda. I mean they did chase Brownbeck out of office(his Koch utopian agenda was a disaster) and rejected Kobach as Governor in favor of Laura Kelly.  That being said, it may not be Alabama but it still is a red state.  And suburban women generally are still lite republican leaning IMO.

• Members

At first, I thought it was a fool's errand to try to generalize a national sentiment based on a Kansas primary where 1/3 of the population registered to vote

But, according to the Kansas Secretary of State, twice as many GOP members registered to vote, so the victory is meaningful in terms of the Dems ability to get out the vote based on civil rights issues

Kansas Voter Registration Totals
  Republican Democratic Libertarian Unaffiliated Total
  852,000 495,760 21,453 546,161 1,915,374

• Members

Sorry to hear about you’re getting COVID-19 @Vee. Wishing you a speedy recovery back to full strength.

In terms of the accidental delivery of Alex Jones’ phone data/messages, some people believe there are no accidents. Whatever it was, it’s karmic justice afaic and I hope the penalties for Jones are high and numerous. He’s a horrible person who deserves to be made to hand over every last cent to the people whose lives he has made unbearable. He also deserves jail time.

• Members

And the usual defensive responses:

These are the same figures who assured us that the GOP would not have a problem because it's all about inflation and wokeness. I already put Maga Haberman's posturing in the media thread. 

I do think there's a big question mark over how much this will be harnessed outside of this amendment - Kris Kobach, one of the biggest extremists in the country, won the GOP attorney general nomination so if there's any real chance of this making positive change I hope the Democrats might have some chance to win that race in November. 

If nothing else there is at least some semblance of Democrats being able to find a message that will resonate, enough to possibly avert a complete electoral bloodbath, which is probably why the media is so unnerved this morning. They would sell their whole family for a GOP trifecta. 

• Members

They're already unnerved by the potential triple header of the IRA Bill, the PACT Act and CHIPS IMO, which has put some wind in folks' sails again. They don't tend to like Dem comeback stories, ever. They wanted Romney to win in '12 to tell that 'sensible Republican' comeback story, and Obama cruised to victory despite many attempts to pretend it was a tight race.

• Members

Wow, Brittney Griner had been sentenced to nine years in prison in Russia. Irrespective of whether a prisoner swap can be arranged, that’s still a harsh sentence for some CBD oil.

EDT. it was hashish oil, I stand corrected. 

For a first time offense though? No intent to sell or distribute.