The Politics Thread

• Members

Wow, another interest rate hike? I know two people who have been looking for a house for well over a year. This will undoubtedly make things worse for them in terms of mortgage rates. 

First, it was people moving from NYC and snatching up houses with big $$$$, the part of the tri-state area where I live has been the slowest to recover/build up housing stock.

At least there’s this,

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I hesitate to trust Joe Manchin on one *amn thing, but this sounds promising. McConnell threatened to not pass the CHIPS bill if the dems passed their reconciliation package. I think Manchin FAKE tanked it 2 weeks ago. Today they passed the CHIPS act then Schumer announced they had a deal on reconciliation. They allegedly have 50 votes. If so, they out maneuvered McConnell. We'll see.

• Members

The rumor is Manchin reversed course when Mitch threatened to kill the CHIPS Bill if they did reconciliation. Manchin does not take kindly to threats (or being blamed for anything) which is why he nuked BBB last year. (OTOH, there's also a chance Schumer gamed this out weeks ago.)

Edited by Vee

• Members

I don't believe it was all theater a few weeks ago, but I do suspect there was some strategy involved at least recently and it's impressive.

Hopefully this will get wind in the sails of some truly dejected people both in government and out here among us, myself included. This is the kind of work the majority should've been doing all along, so I'm not going to quibble about Manchin calling it the 'Inflation Reduction Act' or only going for it out of pique, if true.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I'm glad that these things are passing, but so many have been demoralized for many months now, it may just be too late to get those people back. 

I saw that Bernie was upset, which means his remaining cultists will be too, although I don't think he has the same influence he had  a few years ago. 

• Members

Most of the progressive caucus is behind this bill atm, so I'm not worried about that. I doubt Gottheimer has the stones to blow this up, and I have a hard time believing Sinema will. But we can believe it when it's signed. I'm mostly very curious how all this happened at all.

I do agree it's late in the game, but it will be a good example of a Dem majority actually doing what it's supposed to and that will be something to put some juice behind. In many ways the "Inflation Reduction Act" appears to be largely BBB with a more Manchin-friendly name that appeals to his ego and sensibilities.

Meanwhile:

• Members

Good luck with that!

Meanwhile, Manchin's favorite subject is back: Himself.

The report allows Manchin to cast himself in the best, most martyred and noble light possible, which is always what he wants. But as long as the bill passes, I don't care:

And, like sands through the hourglass....