The Politics Thread

• Members

Speaking of odd language, can the Jan 6 committee (and all government entities) stop using the term "gentlewoman"?  Given that it is derived from gentleman it doesn't make it seem as politically correct as intended.  Perhaps they could just refer to all members as the "elected official" from where ever?  It has the same number of syllables and it is much more gender neutral. 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I feel the same. While I believe the heart and mind are in the right place, I think the 'pregnant people' messaging is going to be a problem for a general public that just isn't there yet. There are better ways to lay these identity and rights issues out than to lean directly into frames like the ones Hawley sets out beforehand, especially when meanwhile you have publications like the NYT leaning into op-eds playing devil's advocate for anti-trans/LGBT stuff complaining about this language, trying to set women against transwomen or transmen. There has to be a more unifying frame. But I also can't blame trans people for not giving a fùck about that right now, when they're becoming Public Enemy #1 with the rest of us next.

• Members

Oh, I know. We're talking like what? .02% of the human population as a whole?  I just do an eye-roll because I feel like it's always being brought up around election year. After that, it goes away for about two years and then it comes back up again. To me, it's a constant cycle. To this day since 2016, I don't talk to my older sister because of her ignorant Facebook memes towards the trans community. And the more I have discovered her past actions, the more I realize what a disgusting human being she is with an ugly heart, and I refuse to talk to her. I still talk to my nieces, but her name doesn't come up during phone conversations.

I cannot stand hateful rhetoric towards marginalized groups of people and I'm very vocal about that. I don't care if it's family.

Edited by Noel

• Members

Unfortunately they can't.

I get why it chafes but that's the standard designation for women in the House. These hearings are historic and the term will matter in transcripts.

Notice how the Senate doesn't have this issue. Men and women are both called "Senator." But that won't work for House members in red or purple districts.

This.

Also this.

(I still can't get used to us agreeing. 

Please register in order to view this content

)

• Members

Don't worry, we can keep arguing about the WH response! But in seriousness, however we differ on the particulars of the next steps I think we're all just trying to get through the days right now and process it in our own way, I don't have the stomach for much else. Between Dobbs and the J6 hearings it's been a very hard time for my mother. She had some very difficult experiences with abortion well before Roe was law, and she's also never really has gotten over watching her former workplace under siege live on television.

• Members

Yes! When I lived in Tampa I had a trans woman friend. She was pre-op and about 6'3.  We ended going through the drive thru at McDonald's one night. I was the one ordering and I felt such a cold, hard wall of hate from the order taker. It was palpable. 

At first I just thought it was a black/white thing.  I was so used to Jackie I didn't even think it could be about her. Then I saw the cashier look over at her with such disgust and she did not try to hide it at all. It has to be awful to deal with that kind of random hardcore hate.

• Members

It just feels like such a cruel use of "culture wars" to distract from the congressional hearings, in order to not have the people who were so easily mislead by conservative social media for the past decade realize how often they've been conned into voting against their own civil and economic interests.

• Members

I know people get defensive about collegiate snobbery, but it is hard not to notice the effect of education (and gender) on opinions about Trump from today's NYT polling when almost twice as many people who didn't complete a university degree still believe Trump's big lie.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by j swift

• Members

The next Jan.6 hearing is to be on July 21.

According to NBC, it is "expected to air in primetime."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/jan-6-committee-expected-hold-hearing-july-21-prime-time-rcna37943

WASHINGTON — The next Jan. 6 committee hearing will be July 21 during prime time, according to three sources familiar with the planning.

The hearing will be the eighth in a series that started in early June.

The committee's chairman, Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., declined to say after Tuesday's hearing whether next week's hearing would be the last of its investigation. He said it would be “the last one — at this point.”

-------------
Other news sources seem to be all citing NBC on the primetime.

It's not (yet) up on the committee scheduling site:
https://www.congress.gov/committee-schedule/weekly/2022/07/18

----------

UPDATE, it's now confirmed for Thurs July 21
at 8:00pm EDT
https://www.congress.gov/committee-schedule/daily/2022/07/21

----------------
Preview of July 21 hearing (from GMA3 interview of July 14, 2022)
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jan-committee-member-previews-hearing/story?id=86743927

Rep. Elaine Luria, a member of the House's Jan. 6 committee who will be co-leading its next scheduled hearing, spoke to "GMA 3" Wednesday to give a preview of what's to come.

The Virginia Democrat and Navy veteran, who will be co-leading the July 21 hearing with Rep. Adam Kinzinger R-Ill., said that Americans can expect the most detailed timeline of the Capitol riot.

"Mr. Kinzinger and I plan to go through that 187 minutes. What happened between the time that [former President Donald Trump] left the stage, gave these inflammatory remarks and gave people the impression...that he was going to himself march with this crowd to the Capitol," Luria told "GMA 3."

"[And] what happened between that moment and then around 4:17 in the afternoon, which is about 187 minutes later, when he finally made a statement to the nation, to the people at the Capitol to go home."

The congresswoman said that the evidence shows that Trump wasn't emphatic in his call to the rioters to stop the violence and leave the capital.

"He didn't take the leadership role as the President of the United States, as the Commander in Chief. We're going to talk about dereliction of duty," she said.

Luria said she and Kinzinger, who is also a veteran, take that role of duty seriously. The congresswoman served two decades in the Navy, retiring at the rank of Commander before she was elected in 2018 to the House.

She is the House Democratic Caucus member with the longest active duty military record and is the vice chair of the House Armed Services Committee and a member of the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs.

"I think that while serving in uniform, I felt like the threat was clear...to protect our country, our homeland," Luria said. "But to see something come from within that is such a threat, it's really disheartening. It gives me a fear about the future of our country."

The eighth hearing is expected to be "the last one at this point," according to committee co-chair Bennie Thompson, D-Miss.

-

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Manchin was always going to do this, and any senator, official, aide or advisor who seriously thought differently at this point needs their head examined.

Manchin is like Michael Biehn said in The Terminator: "It's what he does! It's all he does!" Negotiating with him in earnest and hoping for good faith is completely pointless.

Edited by Vee