The Politics Thread

• Members

"Doesn't intend to veto" doesn't mean "will do it while scuppering reconciliation". It's word games.

This is performance. He knows what Pelosi will do and supports it. Beltway reporters who mostly were raised and reared by GOP education and later GOP sources (Sherman, etc.) are taunting 'liberals' claiming Biden made a veto threat and then withdrew - he never made a veto threat. They'll be negging this deal and being spiteful about it until and after it passes, just like they do any time the Democrats pass anything without the GOP. But it's important to screen them out and not like they are massively influential. The fact is outside the Beltway they don't move the larger public, and the polling has proven that for Biden so far.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Just politics isn't something I'm sure we can afford right now. It's word games on top of word games on top of more word games and the more this happens the more the benefits of whatever this deal is or was meant to be (whichever deal we even end up with...if we end up with a deal...) fades. 

Again, I blame Manchin and Sinema and the other gutless senators who let them say this stuff for the camera, I don't blame Biden, but I wish at the very least there was better coordination so we did not have to end up with confusing walkbacks that play even more into the hands of the GOP and the media. A nebulous infrastructure deal with so much else like voting rights left hanging in the wind isn't worth all this time and capital if this is the only way they can even manage to sell it, but if this is what we are getting (and I'm aware it may be the only thing Manchin and co will even consider), I just hope the unforced errors can be contained. 

• Members

I don't see how the benefits of this deal fade if both the bipartisan deal and the reconciliation package pass. Pelosi and Schumer have made it clear they will not pass the bipartisan bill without the reconciliation package, and Biden has backed that up. The GOP whines and the press avidly covers their whining in good faith, but none of that theater can stop this deal.

• Members

The New York Times decided to interrupt their regularly scheduled habit of navel-gazing at Trump supporters to try to analyze something that should have been fairly obvious to anyone paying attention for the last decade. And the analysis still falls short.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Kind of a lazy take but there are a lot of truths in here as well. If only the paper would spend as much effort on understanding these voters versus the transparent MAGA supporters whose main tenet is really one thing. I don't know but black and brown working class voters are less of a monolith than white working class voters are, but you'd never know it from the attention from the press.

This article is interesting. Certainly not comprehensive but captures a bit more of the complexity here and less of the broad brush the Times article points to.  And don't mistake me for some substack groupie. Far from it.

The Cabán-Adams Voter - Vulgar Marxism (substack.com)

• Members

What really annoys me about all of these articles and think pieces is how they neglect to mention that NYC voters did trust a progressive mayor for two terms and many came away disappointed. People may not want to remember this but DeBlasio was voted into office in his professed progressive 'bonafides' and disappointed in many areas, the reasons are complex in some regards but the current mayor's defiant stance in wanting to credit himself, even for things he has yet to accomplish probably had a hand (even a small one) in the current standing in the mayor's race, although there have been whispers that DeBlasio had a preference for Adams to succeed him. That alone should've told everyone that things were never going to fall squarely on ideological lines. But somehow when it comes to POCs and politics, many would rather claim we're simple "sheep", rather than people weighing the history and making practical decisions.

• Members

Mike Gravel, Democratic senator of Alaska from 1968-1980, has passed away. He is likely best remembered for his efforts to get the Pentagon Papers put into the Congressional record.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/27/1010702706/mike-gravel-former-alaska-senator-and-anti-war-advocate-dies-at-age-91

Unfortunately much of his legacy ended up being exploited by a lot of the dead end/nihlist/grifter left - I believe there was even an instance last year where the edgelord youths who ran an account for him ended up having to do cleanup duty because in an interview he did it was obvious he did not entirely share their views. 

Anyway, I won't be posting any Twitter links that they made all about themselves, so just remember the man and not the narratives. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Kathryn Garcia made up a lot of ground with the ranked-choice voting in the NYC Dem mayoral primary. She has 48.9 percent to Eric Adams’s 51.1 in the simulation with all the other candidates eliminated, a 16k gap. 124k mail-in ballots have yet to counted. Those results will come July 6.

Eric Adams claims irregularities: