Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I would enjoy watching these jackals turn on their own a little more, if not for the fact that we have some of our own. I do feel bad for Mitt though. Being confronted by these loons would have scared the hell out of me.

As for Stacey Abrams,may all the karma come her way. She deserves to be lifted up by the Democrats for all the work she has done.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

After reading an article a day or two ago where some of Biden's people viewed the chances of winning both seats as being a miracle, I was thinking about the discussion here last week about whether it would be appropriate to see the outcomes as a miracle.

If Ossoff wins, then the stars truly were lined up - if jean jacket king David Perdue, whose bland malevolence and sociopathy is a dime a dozen in today's GOP and still appealing to many voters, had decided not to make a racial attack against Kamala Harris (he can't pronounce her name - lol!) at a campaign rally, if he had not tied himself to Kelly Loeffler, one of the most heinous (in every way) candidates I have ever seen in my life, if he had not continued to tie himself to Trump long after it was clear that was literally a losing proposition, then he probably could have pulled it off. 

Yet it takes a lot of hard work to get to a miracle. Ossoff never really stopped running after his 2017 House loss, and he recalibrated his message for the current climate in a way that seemed sincere. He was also able to make the attacks that Raphael Warnock would not be able to make - blasting Kelly Loeffler (on Faux News no less) for "campaigning with a Klansman" was the type of to-the-throat moment that Democrats could always use more of.

Stacey Abrams put aside two years of her life - during a pandemic no less - to help other Democrats avoid the same voter suppression and racism that robbed her of being governor. It became very popular, on the right and among the fauxgressives of the left, to mock her determination, yet look what she did, along with every other black voter and activist who were written off over the years. Republicans will be pulling out every trick in the book, and a few that haven't been written yet, to try to stop her from beating Kemp in 2022. I hope she is given everything she needs and more than deserves. 

It would be easy for me to say that Loeffler, whose entire campaign strategy involved looking for puppies to make coats out of and modeling trucker hats several sizes too small, defeated herself, but that would be ridiculous - she was still a very rich white Republican woman in a system that usually rewards her type of politician (if you can even call her that) at every turn. Raphael Warnock managed to survive everything from a pathetic splinter campaign from Joe Lieberman's son to months of vicious racist attacks and personal smears from the GOP and their media outlets, and he did so with grace and compassion. 

There will be pushback to the idea that these results "saved" America, but at least they gave us the chance. We won't have 2 years of Mitch McConnell choking the life out of everything. We have options, and plans. And that's a lot more than I thought we'd have a few months ago. 

• Members

More importantly, it gives the world a chance to save itself from climate change. We didn't have the last 4 years to lose on that front. Yes, parts of the world went on trying without us, but we are a huge carbon emitter.

Anyway, I guess the next couple of days are just ones to celebrate this amazing win and worry about the rest once Biden/Harris takes office.

Here's some extra good news.

• Members

I remember in Obama's first term they were going to try cap and trade, but big money pushback, and worries from Blue Dogs, helped kill it. Now that the Blue Dogs are mostly gone I wonder if they may be able to work something out, if Joe Manchin goes along. 

(if Ossoff wins, I mean)

I know what you mean about a day or two to be able to enjoy the moment. I was looking at some of the memes going around about Kamala Harris walking into the Senate to cast the tie-breaking vote. 

@Vee Stacey Abrams and LaTosha Brown were interviewed on The Daily yesterday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/04/podcasts/the-daily/georgia-runoffs-stacey-abrams.html

• Members

Today is going to be absolutely apeshit back home (DC) - even more than what was anticipated. These results (and it's now presumed Ossoff has won, per the Decision Desk) are going to create an even crazier powder keg. I've told my mother to stay indoors even more than usual, not that they're going out when my parents are late 70s and at risk lol.

I still feel we need to re-pack SCOTUS and equalize it. Destroy McConnell's crowning achievement. Let him take that taste of ashes to the grave. We also need to push out the 2K checks. So much to do. Joe needs to know this is his hour to be bold in the twilight of his career. Like FDR, this is what he will be remembered for.

• Members

With Manchin I don't really know what to expect, but I do hope they will at least put the checks out - and as soon as possible, before they can be browbeaten into not doing them, or means-testing, giving less, what have you. I think Ossoff campaigning on those at the end was key to his win.

I'll be thinking of your mother. I have some family there too, or nearby, and am hoping they will just stay in as long as possible. 

Edited by DRW50