Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So it looks like we might get a happy end after all?  

I'll readily admit that I was very worried earlier today when the numbers pointed towards a Trump victory. But it feels much better now.

I had hoped for a more decisive victory for Biden, but getting rid of Trump was the ultimate goal, and if that is achieved then that's a good result.

• Members

That was the most frightening part of this election for me. This wasn't just a battle of values it was a fight for the system itself.  Before 2016 I had no idea that there was such an authoritarian streak in this country. It's clear that we are in a long term battle for democracy itself.

• Members

As a Canadian, this is what concerns me most. The sheer mass volume of American citizens who voted for all of that when they had another choice is incredibly disturbing. That this election is as tight as it is, based on Trump's cult of personality, when he has been an absolute failure, is unbelievable to me. 

That white America did not do the right thing and vote his ass out hard is also very disappointing. I had hoped for better. This is not an election about differing views like McCain v. Obama or Bush v. Gore. This election is truly about good and moral vs. evil and corrupt. It is astounding to see how many people have aligned with Trump's malignancy. 

• Members

Yes.  Child separation was my number one issue. It's a crime against humanity as far as I'm concerned. Also Biden can end the travel ban, he can take in more refugees and he can halt the desecration of federal lands. He can also allow Brix and Fauci to do their jobs. There really is a lot he can do to make things better.

• Members

I’ve noticed a number of people talking about how the Democrats needed to do better in this and that and whatever. But speaking as someone outside of the US looking in, their campaign was exactly the campaign that would make me vote for them. And judging by the popular vote figures thus far, the majority of the US population thought that too.

The only reason that it is such a sh*tshow is because of the Electoral College. It outlived its usefulness many years ago, and unfortunately it means that election campaigns are unnecessarily skewed to a handful of swing states, when really it should be about the whole nation.

But also, I wanted to say this: the fact that so many people still voted for Trump despite (or perhaps because of) the wreckage he has caused the last 4 years indicates to me that America is a very very broken country, probably permanently so. And I don’t think even the best Democratic campaign can start to fix that without a lot of pushback from vested interests at the very least.

But yes - America is severely broken.