• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

+17 and +11 were always ludicrous. 

The main problem is that so many polls, everywhere, showed much tighter races up and down the ballot. This is the third straight election to have polls that were off. I think that this county no longer has enough trust to be honest with pollsters. I also think that in Trump's case, while the "shy Trump" voter is overblown (many are loud and virulent in their support), there are many people who find him repulsive but still vote for him because of religious reasons, or taxes, or racism. They wouldn't admit this.

The other problem is that we see Democrats still don't have a proper national strategy to be able to have a dominant bulwark like the GOP does. The losses in the House make that clear. And I don't know what they can do, as the GOP has the institutions, along with the easy appeal of racism and bigotry, on their side. Democrats, if Biden wins, were able to cobble together a patchwork of voters who may not be there for anyone else, or against anyone else but Trump, especially if Hispanic voters continue to move away from the party. 

Part of the losses are down to people buying McConnell's lies and spin about the stimulus (and good luck getting one of those now, you dumbasses out there), but there is also just a lack of strength and solid planning through the leadership, especially on the Senate side. 

There's also the usual media games (the Playbook in Politico was reporting on news this morning and showed a few headlines that were clearly salivating over Trump's strength and showing Democrats what's what, etc.). As long as Democrats do not have more media say in this country, we will continue to see the GOP have an advantage on every level. 

• Members

Not having Trump in office would still be a major plus, and will change things within that party bit by bit. McConnell and Graham will go where they think survival is. It won't be a huge change in the GOP base, no, but it will make the Republicans in office operate somewhat differently by not cowering from the demagogue at the top of the ticket tweeting at them nonstop.

Republicans don't weep and rend their garments when they take the WH but not the Senate. They get on with it however they can. That's what we have to do now. I think there will be another stimulus, for example, with Trump no longer in the mix and more pressure on the Senate from above. But it's going to all be a series of fights.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I am still concerned about Trump (with perhaps Supreme Court) stealing it.  There are probably going to be recounts in most of these states.  This is probably going to take awhile.  I know it will be difficult without the Senate but I just really need to have a new cabinet and new aides (goodbye Ivanka, Jared, Stephen Miller, Bill Barr, Betsy DeVos, DeJoy, etc. etc.) and all the other crooked accomplices gone.  

• Members

McConnell is already well-compensated and has no reason to work with Democrats on anything IMO, but yes, hopefully they will be able to stop Graham from basically sucking up endless media oxygen with fruitless investigations against Biden and his son. Maybe for once his never-ending need for validation and love will find another outlet with his "daddy" leaving office (if he goes). 

It looks like Gary Peters is going to hold on, barring a shift, so that's good news at least. He was always the danger spot (poor Doug Jones had no chance). 

Off topic, but while I have issues with Ilhan Omar (mainly due to her apparent grifting) I do have to give her some credit for the MN victory. She had people going out campaigning in person even when the official campaign word was not to do so. That probably added a few points at least. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The difference is, the GOP face a challenging map in 2022. And McConnell has no soul, but he is a reptile who goes where he senses victory and avoids where he senses danger. If Biden and the Dems properly use the bully pulpit they can push for the vote on stimulus or act by EO, just as Trump has done. We're going to have go hard, and we can.