The Politics Thread

• Members

Let me be clear: I didn't want JUST for Biden to win, or JUST for the Democrats to regain the Senate (while keeping the House).  I wanted (White) America to vote the muthafuckin' GOP out with a vengeance.  I wanted y'all to prove -- to me, to my fellow black and brown peeps, to the whole damn world -- that we are wrong to mistrust and despise you; that, deep down, you're really glad to have us around.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I also think it's a very important question what the red base looks like in two to four years without Trump on the ballot. AFAIC a lot of those surprise voters in the last four years are fickle, ignorant and just looking to see if a Black dude or a woman is daring to tell them what to do.

We all wanted that here. But this is what we have to live with, because no matter what could've happened last night this would still be the country that did this to people of color over the last decade. And it's still better than where we've been.

He's having a real one:

Edited by Vee

• Members

IMO: McConnell knows the map is bad for them in '22 and doesn't want to let Biden hang him with that. He's also said in his new press conference he is very concerned about GOP losses in the suburbs. I think they'll do a stimulus deal come January at the latest, but it'll still be a knifefight.

• Members

Exactly.  As a Black man, how do I reconcile all those votes for Trump with my Christian beliefs (to love one's neighbor as you would love yourself)?  How do I keep myself from going apeshit with paranoia and rage?

I realize that "a win is a win," but the fact is, Democrats should never have let things get this close in a year with a pandemic that's showing no signs of letting up.  Racism and sexism are strong in this country, but they aren't insurmountable.  Either our message is flawed, or we're choosing the wrong messengers to deliver it.

Edited by Khan

• Members

What would you have had them do? Run Bernie (god, I don't even want to think about what that night would've looked like)? I'm being facetious, I know you don't want that, but I don't know what we could've done beyond perhaps more Latino outreach. And even there there's stuff we probably couldn't change. Racism, misogyny and machismo run deep for a segment of the American culture. Trump was/is its id. That is all there is to it, IMO.

• Members

Well I gave a lot of money to Mark Kelly even though I'm across the country in Virginia but that race mattered to me.  We won

Please register in order to view this content

I'm hoping that's a good sign for AZ as they finish counting.  

• Members

You do not have to just know it is not all people who voted for the current president. Many go for what they think benefits them not caring what it does to others. I live in a battleground state but under 40% of the electorate went to Biden in my  county. part of it is racial motivated sadly but the moral majority of the 70s took hold here and never let go. They won’t vote for anyone who is pro choice or Catholic. Being a Democrat or Independent is seen as wrong. I had a leaflet left in my door last week about the abortion issue from a church and literally that and guns is enough to convince some to vote Republican as that is the only righteous path. so they do believe in love your enemies or so they say and turning the other cheek, but I do not see it.

Edited by ~bl~
Clarification