The Politics Thread

• Members

Didn't I say that it would be only a matter of time before Crazy Uncle Joe stuck his foot in his mouth (again)?  Didn't I say that, as long as he stayed on script, he might be okay?  Didn't I say that!?

Sigh.  FFS.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I really don't think any of this is going to stick to Biden. In fact I think his refusal to apologize will help him. People might want to keep talking about how Biden is prone to gaffes but he didn't make a gaffe here. He pointed to his ability to hold his nose and do what it takes to get something real done even if it meant working with awful people. That doesn't play well with the Woke Police because they only care about performative outrage not making real, concrete progress.

• Members

I see it both ways. And I think his comments about not changing the system are the biggest mistake in this day and age. I understand his POV but we're past that now. Things have to change to survive. Maybe not in the way Sanders cult wants, but in a lot of ways, over time.

Meanwhile:

• Members

I'd like to wait for the debates to see how they pan out but it's well known that anyone who is perceived as the frontrunner (whatever that means at this very early stage) will draw a lot of scrutiny.  It's going to be interesting to see how the words spoken will play out in debates.

Not to be 'piling on' or anything but this does seem close to employing a Trumpian tactic.  I just don't know who this type of response would appeal to, besides Trump voters (for various reasons).

• Members

Bernie pulled the same [!@#$%^&*] with Sherrod Brown in 2016 after Brown endorsed Clinton. Politico quoted an anonymous campaign staffer then Bernie called Sherrod to say it wasn't true.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/blogs/2016/06/08/politico-bernie-sanders-furious-sherrod-brown/85589252/

Bernie attacked Warren on Twitter from his own account. This is the kind of petty, bitter trash he is.

• Members

The GOP is feasting on this Hunter Biden thing.  This is just going to remind people of his relationship with his dead brother's wife.  Maybe the GOP is expert at maneuvering this type of thing but for Democrats, this has the potential to snowball.  Already, it seems like this is becoming way too much baggage for one candidate, jmo.

• Members

I think it's a bunch of nothing. Everyone involved were adults. Was it seedy? Maybe. But nothing that the GOP likely hasn't done. And the GOP clutching pearls when all that would have to be said is, "President Dump on third wife, cheated on previous wives, five kids by three different women. The end." would highlight the hypocrisy beautifully.

Edited by Wendy

• Members

IA with everything you're saying here, @marceline.  Nevertheless, I still believe that his words WILL cost him in the long run.  If only because the GOP, in tandem with the media, will continue to blow this more and more out of proportion, to the point where many on the left (who are clearly too dumb to see the agendas) will start to believe he's too toxic to be the nominee.

Exactly.  Trump wants a war, because he knows wars win elections.  And, as always, the American public is just too dumb to realize it.

Don't forget, though, that many on the left love to play Purity Olympics.  Otherwise, Al Franken would still be in the Senate.

Edited by Khan

• Members

The weird thing is that Trump blew the drone incident off as an accident.  If he wanted to escalate that was a strange thing to say.  At the same time, I won't surprised to wake up to find we have attacked Iraq for no other reason than Trump felt like it.