The Politics Thread

• Members

All these Democratic candidates breaking out their best high school Spanish at the debate is the height of shameless pandering.  But, on the other hand, at least no one's trying to garner the "Black vote" by playing the Dozens.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The consensus last night was that Elizabeth Warren presented herself as the front-runner of the group.  To those who have been following her/paying attention, what Warren said last night has been pretty consistent with what she's been saying all along.  It's no surprise.  The consensus seemed to be that Julian Castro did actually surprise.  If his strategy was to distinguish himself over many of the other candidates, especially his fellow Texan Beto O'Rourke, it appears that he accomplished that last night.

Although Gabbard made some good points about the Pentagon and the rush to war, I still find her shifty.  Also, for some reason, this made me chuckle.

• Members

The gerrymandering decision has thrown out any legitimacy of this court, IMO. It's basically spitting on the idea that a vote really does count. I don't know if it can happen, but Dems need a complete majority in 2020, House/Senate/White House, and expand the court to 13 or 15.

If the above doesn't happen, this "democracy" is basically done. There was an article in WaPo recently about some farmer in flyover country complaining about the "elitist" coasts. He stated that the coasts should be their own countries, and the rest of "salt of the earth" America would be fine. Well, I say, put it to the test. And stop letting the red states mooch entirely.

Let's see how Blue America would fare versus Red America. Separate but equal. We stopped being the United States ages ago, anyway.

• Members

Most of what I've heard about is Harris and Buttigieg. He has likely hit his ceiling, unless things really change, so she likely will have the breakout. I keep hearing about her calling out Biden and his struggling to respond. His struggles in how to respond to his past are my biggest worry in him getting the nomination. 

• Members

I've been watching these here in Australia. From my outside perspective (and I hope I get all these names right- sorry if I don't), it's Elizabeth Warren, Beto O'Rourke, Cory Booker, Justin Castro, and Amy Klobuchar from yesterday and then Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand, and Pete Buttigeg who are making the strongest impressions and cases for what they're going for. I think Warren, Castro, and Harris have been the strongest. I also liked the climate change guy from yesterday but he seems like a non-entity and I do like this guy that's all about gun control today even if he seems too eager.

Bernie and Biden seem like they're getting stomped.

Also, my stepmother loved Marianne Williamson and her whole shtick and I can't believe she's running for...anything lol.

• Members

Kamala Harris was the first one to have mentioned the Voting Rights Act, there were no questions from the moderators on this issue.  Neither on gerrymandering.  I realize that there are many candidates on the stage in these debates but the fact that a candidate has to bring up an issue to give it relevance is incredible.