Can GL go back to the old camera style

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GL is in this format till the very end. Bloom has already stated it will never go back to a traditional format. GL would have been canned in 2007 if the new production model had not taken place. They could not afford to keep the show on the air. The format and Ellen Wheeler are here until the end.

• Members

Would it almost have been better for it to end in 2007? It seems it could go as early as next fall... would it really have been worth it?

I know I'd rather see AMC go out in its original form, rather than watch Blair Witch Pine Valley for 2 years only to see it canned anyway....

• Members

I see. I think i realized why this isnt working for me...its the background music. there have been some emotional scenes and all get is the dumb guitar in te background. I think if they went back to the traditional scores the scenes would come out better

• Members

At the time, I was happy that they found a way to keep the show on the air. Fast forward 9 months of this crap, and I believe it would have been better to have had the show go off the air last year rather than see it continue to get worse each passing day. Yesterday was so awful. They stuck 1 sign in German in the ground in Peapack and suddenly Dinah was in Germany. GL can't be put out of its misery soon enough. And yes, I know it says something about me that I'm still watching - but it's like a train wreck to me. I have to see how low they go next and how they top themselves in terms of ridiculousness. lol.

• Members

They really should've just ended it right at their 70th anniversary. It would have been fitting. Perhaps scrounge up some money to put together a half-decent farewell episode/reunion finale. Instead, it's slowly limping to its death. It's DISGUSTING to watch what has become of this show. It's just so utterably awful to watch. GLisNo1, I commend you for putting up with it to see how it'll go out, because I just can't. I stuck through it when Springfield became nothing but Main Street & a Beacon hotel room, but Peapack NJ / The Hills / Blair Witch / Folksy Background Music / Cast-of-Nobodys-and-Kim-Zimmer is just too much for me!

• Members

I agree 100%. The 70th anniversary was the last time the show was actually good. I stuck through with GL until June 2007, when the writing and the stories became unwatchable for me. The production values were pretty bad even then, but it didn't bother me that much. I never thought I would actually want the Beacon hotel rooms back!

Right now I really wonder, if GL's writing was actually good, how much of an impact would the current production model have on the stories? I guess we'll never know.

• Members

Unfortunately, the reason is financially-related, and not creatively-related.

IN order for GL to go back to what it was,P&G/TeleNext needs to invest in studio space. All of that rental money used for the studio has been cut from the budget with the new business model. They can't go back to the old look without re-hiring studio workers AND renting out studio space. And that's a lot of money for a show that had those dollars cut last year in order to stay on the air.

Their best bet is to find a way to make the new production model WORK. For whatever that's worth.

• Members

It really is sad to see so much antipathy with the current state GL is in. I suppose we all have our breaking point. For me, the last good episode of GL was February 28, 2003. It was the last official date Millee taggart's material ended before Ellen Weston's miserable tenure. Since then, we simply haven't caught a break. Here I was so excited about David Kreizman. That was before he completely f-ed up the Roger storyline, made Phillip an insane prick, and centered the show completely around disgusting jack-off Jonathan and his clueless rape victim Tammy.

Archived