Can GL go back to the old camera style

• Members

Here's my question.... P&G has been producing soaps for how many decades??? And they are RENTING studio space? Can someone tell me why they don't own their own their own production studios? You'd be an ignoramous to keep producing a show for 50 years on a RENTED stage! I still maintain that it would have been better to return to the 70's model of live to tape... but maybe everyone is too lazy to shoot eh show that way anymore?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Regarding your last sentence, I think they could improve the new model by cutting some of the annoying music, stopping the wierd camera angles and concentrating on STORY. I know they have no budget, but if the story and dialogue was halfway decent, I could put up with scenes in the middle of a field. The main problem is that there just isn't any story on the show. Or the story changes from day to day and like others have said, it seems made up as they go along.

But, unfortunately, I do believe the viewers who have tuned out have been burned too many times and will not ever come back to the show. I doubt Grant A or David A Macdonald will have any positive impact on the ratings. It's too little too late.

• Members

Yeah, with one of her handlers always within five feet ready with sable cape.

Like another poster said, it's that damned folksy Starbucks background music. GL airs in the morning here, and that crap puts me to sleep. I could live with the cameras, even the claustrophobia-inducing sets, but that music goes hand in hand with what really bothers me, which is GL trying to be something that it's not. It is just so darn boring and sleepy, and when there isn't some frizzy haired guitarist moaning in the background, it's eerily dead silent. Feels like one of those mid-morning PBS series that teach you a foreign language. And just for craps and giggles, how bout just one outdoor scene at the country club with Reva, Alex, Blae, Dinah and the rest in big hats, the men in summer suits, all being bitchy, drunk, and awkward. That's the fictional "Springfield Township" that I miss. All this hand holding hippy dippy [!@#$%^&*] can go. I want the show to open one day with a shot of Paul Rauch walking through Peapack and stopping to stamp out a daisy. And cue the real soap opera.

• Members

I love GL's camera style. It is gripping and intense, allowing me to really feel the characters. It continues to remind me of EastEnders in a good way. It also reminds me of the focus on characters and realistic dialogue, rather than splash, of what I have seen of the classic soaps from the radio and black and white era.

The permanent sets and outdoor locations are a big step up on the "everything in the Beacon" years. There could be a little more music, I agree, but what there is fits the tone great.

I'm way way more bothered by the shoehorned in V8 scenes than the new style, which I think is brilliant!

• Members

I think AMC has made a lot of improvements with the new format. It looks much better than when it first debuted. Most of the time I don't think AMC looks that different than the other soaps. On the other hand I think GL's format looks radically different and is really hard to watch.

• Members

Why should it return to the old style? It's not going to help me understand why they put Mallet and Marina together, having Coop and Beth going at it like rabits, and god knows what next.

No the current productions style is deserving of the shitty writing.

• Members

Mallet and Marina has been building for years ever since they became partners on the force. With Dinah being a mess and Harley leaving, it makes sense to me.

Beth and Coop was a surprise, but a refreshing one. I don't have a major problem with it. It will be interesting to see how Alan, and then Phillip, reacts.

I agree with you that writing is what makes the show, not the camera style, but I am fine with both! GL is as gripping as it has ever been to me.

I had to force myself to watch during the "the people" period in San Cristobel (and eventually gave up after a few months despite having vowed to tune in because of Claire Labine -- the only highlight of what I saw was Sam/Marah/Tony, the vets were underused or given ridiculous story even more than now), and often found it a chore to watch the show when everyone had moved into the Beacon (except that I loved the Inside the Light episodes, and probably still liked the show better than many here), but I can't wait to watch every day these days! Both ATWT and GL are must-see TV at the moment for me.

Archived