Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

John Thornton (John Barton) quits Emmerdale!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a353277/emmerdale-star-james-thornton-to-leave-soap.html

I'll definitely miss him. The Bartons were once a great family unit, and it's sad that it'll be destroyed... actually, it's already been destroyed thanks to the inane Moira/Cain affair.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

On paper the Bartons should have worked, but the Blyth era had very little heart, and they were affected by that. They weren't very interesting or likeable as a family, and the show just kept throwing heavy stories at actors who couldn't handle it. John could have been a vital character for the show but instead he ended up being an example of what Emmerdale is now so ashamed of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I find the day-to-day episodes quite watchable and well produced; there is drama, but it's a shame in order to make this drama, characters had to be assassinated with stories that sucked. But, not all the suck-y stories have drama. Case in point: Ashley/Laural/Marlon triangle - it's tedious, dull and so far out-of-character they may as well be from another show. Give it a try if you wish, it's certainly a lot easier to watch than EE or Corrie.

• Members

I like all the Emmerdale themes until this recent one, which is so generic and poorly edited.

So what do all of you think of Amy, the world's oldest teenager? I can't deal with the endless propping of her as she is abusive to everyone around her, and the ruination of Eric and Val solely to try to make her a star. She is disgusting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The gorgeous Matthew Wolfenden, perpetually underused by Emmerdale, is going to be on Dancing on Ice. Hopefully he will stay long enough to show off his nice ass in a variety of costumes. As for the rest, I don't care, although it has to improve now that Jason Gardiner is gone.

• Members

I don't watch Emmerdale so feel like I shouldn't be posting in this thread, but does Matthew Wolfenden not get much screen-time? You are right, he is very nice-looking, it's a shame if he's wasted. :(

I can't get into Emmerdale, the production standards seem terrible - it doesn't have a light feel that draws you in. I imagine it's probably better than most of EE at the moment though.

• Members

He doesn't have a lot to do.

The show is garbage and has destroyed nearly every character - it's worse than Eastenders. At least most of the Eastenders characters are recognizable.

Just go back and watch Viv's and Terry's last episode and compare it to Pat's exit.

• Members

Matthew Wolfenden is a godsend. One of the most beautiful men I have ever scene and he comes off so likable on Emmerdale as David. He really should be one of the main leads of the show, but they treat him, like Victoria, as a burden. It's ridiculous. Emmerdale is just as bad as any U.S. soap now I'm afraid to say. Even Corrie / Hollyoaks / EastEnders are have strengths, but there is absolutely nothing about Emmerdale that hasn't been ruthlessly destroyed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Didn't he have a wardrobe malfunction? Or am I thinking of someone else (i'm crap with UK soap actor names...)

We had Emmerdale for a year here in Canada, back to back with Eastenders. For whatever reason, they dropped Emmerdlae last Fall but kept Eastenders (the CBC still shows Coronation Street which seems to be unshakeably popular in Canada sperately in the early evening and again at midnight). I was getting kinda back into Emmerdale but have to admit that it's last few months here you could alrady see the show getting more and more directionless (we were a year or two behind and ended during the gay euthanasia storyline, a story I'm sure has been endlessly debated about on here but I don't even feel like getting into--at least I grew pretty uninterested in the characters before it started...) It's too bad to hear it's become such a mess as over the years when it's popped up on Canadian TV (it used to be paired with Corrie by the CBC for ten years or so in the 90s and early '00s) it's often the UK soap I have enjoyed the most.

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

Apparently he flashed his bottom during a rehearsal, although Emmerdale viewers have already seen that.

Emmerdale is a great example of what is killing the British soaps, as it previously did US soaps - sensationalism all the time, random destruction. It's a shame.