Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

You might as well give it a try.

There's some stuff on Youtube, a lot of 2009, bits and pieces of earlier stuff.

You should try Emmerdale too. Really good show, full of various story threads and great actors and soapy plots. Lots of hotties too.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I hope Maggie Jones is recuperating well and getting the treatment she needs. Blanche is worth her weight in gold on this show. Her snark represents the viewers' voice!

I need to rant about the Connors. On paper, I am sure they were meant to be an up-and-coming, partly recurring Irish family that the audience would love. Oh, those Connors! So tight-knit and loyal and fiercely proud! Stop me if you've heard this tune before.

Well, what this viewer is getting is a whole big dose of smug and judgmental, served with a side helping of hypocritical. Maybe it is because I have warmed (if that's the right word) to the character of Tony. The actor is acting his little heart out, and seeing his scenes with Roy at the weekend (though a sightly contrived plot device) made me realize how much I am enjoying watching him. What will he do next?

By contrast, I cannot stand Michelle. Maybe it's because I suspect the actress, Kym Marsh, to be a raging bitch behind-the-scenes. Maybe it's because her tatoos are always on display and they are distracting. Maybe it's because she is always passing judgment on somebody. Maybe it's because everybody talks about what a great person Michelle is, and I have yet to see that greatness.

It ain't just Michelle, though. Liam was meant to be this hot leading man but he came across as a two-timing jerk (not helped by a talentless actor who thought he was Olivier). So all this grieving for "our Liam" feels alien to me.

Now. Their lovely parents. Thank God they aren't series regulars! Big Daddy Connor is a walking Oirish stereotype who looks like he is about to break into "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" after a couple of drinks. Mama Connor may look like a loveable, cuddly matriarch but the instant anybody does anything she doesn't like, the inner bitch is released. I can see why she'd be concerned about Maria moving on so quickly after Liam's death, but it comes across as bullying, like she wants Maria dressed in black and geneflecting in front of a shrine to Liam for the rest of her life. Everytime the Connors urge Maria to visit them in Ireland, it doesn't come across as a loving invitation but as hectoring, like they want Maria and the baby under their complete control.

All this to say that I can see where the Tony SL is going. I'm sure there will be a mega-reveal one of these days, and Tony will have to pay for his crimes. I, for one, am dreading the Connors' reaction of smug "Told you so"-ism, invective and self-pity.

[/rant]

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Kim Crowther steps down as Corrie producer

Coronation Street's leading producer Kim Crowther is to step down from her position after two-and-a-half years.

She will be replaced by former Doctor Who series producer Phil Collinson in the second half of next year, just a few months before the show's 50th anniversary celebrations.

Speaking of her decision to stand down, Crowther said: "Coronation Street is very special to me. It's been a huge privilege to work with such a wonderful cast, production and writing team. But after a couple of great years, I'm looking forward to reintroducing myself to my children."

She continued: "I'm delighted to be passing the baton to Phil, and wish him all the best for what should be a spectacular fiftieth year for the show."

Crowther joined Coronation Street in November 2007, succeeding Steve Frost as the soap's showrunner.

Collinson will begin working at Corrie's Manchester home at Granada Studios from March to allow for a substantial handover period, before he officially takes office from late summer. He will work alongside Weatherfield's executive producer Kieran Roberts.

Of his appointment, Collinson said: "I am absolutely thrilled to be joining Corrie, the nation's favourite street and a show I've been a huge fan of all my life. It goes without saying that it’s a tremendous honour to be entrusted with building on Coronation Street's success and creating the must-see storylines for 2010 and beyond."

He went on: "Kim will be a tough act to follow but I will be working with one of the best teams in the business and I can’t wait to get stuck in."

Director of ITV Studios John Whiston commented: "We are delighted Phil has agreed to join ITV Studios and carry on the fantastic, creative work that Kim has spearheaded. Phil is a hands-on producer, with a fine track record in shaping much loved and treasured programming and I have no doubt he will bring all that talent to Coronation Street.

“I would like to thank Kim for her immense contribution to the show. Kim's sheer hard work and her boundless imagination are the qualities that have continued to keep Coronation Street as fresh and exciting as ever as it enters its 50th year."

He added: "Kim leaves Corrie in fantastically good health, having increased total audience share in the last quarter as recent storylines around Tony, Carla, Maria and Roy Cropper have been delivering spectacularly large audiences day in day out this autumn. This achievement is testament to the skill and talent of Kim and her team."

Edited by dannigold

• Members

Something definitely needs to be done. The only good story is the one with Tony, which is winding down, and was mainly saved by some of the actors. A lot of the stuff needs to be dialed down or dumped entirely (Kevin/Molly, anything with Michelle, more of David's feuds). I'm not sure if Collinson will have that much leeway, unfortunately. I hope he keeps the vets and continues to use them, and that he keeps focus on Peter and Leanne, and Hayley and Roy, and brings in some better gay characters.

Collinson and Russell Davies are both big Corrie fans. Collinson was said to have gotten the position last year, after he left Doctor Who, but that didn't happen.

• Members

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2755471/Maggie-Jones-dies-aged-75.html

Maggie Jones dies aged 75

By CARA LEE

Published: Today

CORRIE star Maggie Jones passed away this morning, aged 75.

The much-loved actress, who played Weatherfield's battleaxe Blanche Hunt, died at the Salford Royal Hospital after battling a long illness.

She was forced to pull out of filming on the soap in October after being rushed to hospital for major surgery and remained there since.

She had been making a slow recovery but her condition deteriorated early this morning and she passed away in her sleep.

Today her colleague William Roache, who plays Ken Barlow, payed tribute to her.

'Greatly missed'

He said: "Maggie was a big part of the Barlow family and a brilliant actress.

"She was a tower of strength, physically frail but mentally strong as an ox and sharp as someone half her age.

"She had an amazing dry wit and was as funny if not funnier than Blanche. We were great cross word partners, we sat through Tracy's trial scenes doing the cross word together.

"I don't think Maggie ever realised how much she was loved not only by everyone on the show but by the millions of Blanche fans out there. She will be greatly missed."

Corrie's Executive Producer Kieran Roberts added: "Maggie was a much-loved colleague and a wonderful actress who turned Blanche into a true Coronation Street icon.

"She will be hugely missed by Coronation Street's many millions of viewers and by everyone who works on Coronation Street. Our thoughts and prayers go to Maggie's sister Joan at this very sad time."

Maggie won several comedy awards for playing feisty Blanche - who is loved for her sharp tongue and tell-it-like-it-is manner.

She first appeared in the ITV1 soap in 1974 and became a regular cast member in 1999.

The character is famed for her put-downs, especially to her daughter Deirdre and son-in-law Ken.

In one classic 'Blanchism', she said: "Good looks are a curse, Deirdre. You and Kenneth should count yourselves lucky."

:(:(:(