Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

David was a normal, happy child for some time, even after his parents Gail and Martin split up. Jack P Shephard wanted to play him as bad and the show went along with that. He began to go off the rails when Martin moved away with his new girlfriend, had a child with her, and was no longer interested in David. David became very bitter, and he started to turn against Gail, especially after he found Gail's former mother in law Ivy's diary. Ivy was grandmother to Gail's oldest kids, Nick and Sarah. Ivy was a real piece of work -- she always had problems with Gail and after her husband and son died Ivy became a complete religious fanatic and miserable all the time...she finally moved to a convent and died in 1995. Anyway, the diary mentioned that Gail had nearly aborted David. David was furious and read the diary to everyone at Christmas dinner.

Things got worse and worse after this, with murder attempts and all sorts of ugliness, culminating in him pushing Gail down the stairs a year and a half ago and going to a facility for a few months. There's rarely been a breather. I think the character needs a break, but they're bringing back Gail's oldest son Nick so there will probably be some rivalry there.

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I read about Nicky coming back, but didn't know if it was a rumor or not. Adam Rickitt's in NZ doing Shortland Street, isn't he? I'm surprised that they're gonna recast.

I finally got to see Peter's AA meeting from last week with Ken, Deirdre, and Blanche, and damn! Blanche had me rolling. When she accused the one lady of having halitosis, that was it. And then when Deirdre stormed out and Ken went after her, he walked down the stairs as Blanche just rode the stair lift. Too funny!

I like Ashley and Claire's story, but please, no more sobby bedside scenes. Steven Arnold just ain't got it in him.

Sean is a hot mess for trying to snag that guy at the gym, and the guy was 100% right when he called Sean camp. He's been pretty camp since day one, especially when compared to brooding Todd.

Fiz/John = Zzzzzz.

I've been loving Betty's appearances lately. The scenes from about two weeks ago with her at the Rover's with Ashley, Lloyd, and Peter were great fun.

• Members

Nick returning isn't a rumor. That's confirmed. There's a rumor Sarah Louise will be returning.

Adam Rickitt has given negative comment about his time on Corrie and from what I've seen he can be easily replaced, if the writing is there. The problem is they don't know how to keep leading men, and often struggle to write for them. What can you say when the leading man on your show is a murderer/attempted murderer of an old man/all-around loon.

Sean is so annoying. Anthony Cotton can't do comedy or drama and has little charisma. I wish they could write him out. He's an easy, safe choice of gay for them. I prefer this to a show that makes a pretense of being hard-hitting but actually delves into the same, or worse, pathetic stereotypes, like Eastenders does with the forced Christian/Syed story, but it's just tiresome. I would rather see Leon stay on the show, and bring back Sean's adorable boyfriend Marcus.

The scene with Tony decimating Liam's mother was fabulous. She's a nice woman and all but I hate those Connors.

• Members

I like Antony Cotton, but yeah, Sean is pretty annoying and sorta boring. I've been reading that my darling Bruno would love to return to Corrie, and I wish they'd bring him back. I'd love for him to come back with a spicy American boyfriend who doesn't take any crap from anyone on the Street. I just want Todd back full-time.

Rickitt can stay on Shortland Street. He wasn't irreplaceable at all, and I'm sure there are some good young actors in the UK who could do wonders with the role of Nick.

Where are they going with this Ramsay/Norris/Emily/Rita thing? Something is telling me that Ramsay won't be around much longer, and that his departure won't be very pleasant.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

The Ramsay stuff will be over soon.

Barbara Knox is taking six weeks off to recover from an illness. I hope she will be OK. I get upset when people say characters like Rita, Ken, and Emily are just useless relics. They are a link to the past, but the actors are still there, still giving their best, and are a great example of the continuity and seasons of life that many soaps no longer bother with now. When they're gone they can never be replaced.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

OK. I haven't seen the recent episodes but I'm trying to keep up when I can.

Rosie Webster started sleeping with factory boss Luke Morgan, not realizing that he really just wanted the money she'd gotten from the man who kidnapped her, John Stape (John gave it to her as a way to make amends). The one he really wants is Michelle. Rosie and Michelle got into a catfight over him. Michelle won. But Luke is on his way out and Michelle is getting a new love interest.

John Stape is in prison but has been regularly visited by the love of his life, Fiz Brown. Fiz agreed to marry him, to the disgust of her family, but is now having second thoughts.

Peter Barlow and his little son Simon found Leanne working as a waitress. They convinced her to return to Weatherfield and try again with Peter. I'm not sure if she knows he was in love with Michelle (aren't they all!) while she was away.

Sean fell for a hunk named Leon. Leon had eyes for Jason. Through a confusing series of events, Sean convinced Leon that Jason was gay, but not available. Jason ended up entering, and winning, Mr. Gay Weatherfield, not knowing it was a gay thing. He has decided to enter the bigger competition because he wants the prize money. Jason and Leon now know the truth. I'm not sure if Leon has forgiven Sean.

Emily became very close to Norris' brother, Ramsay. Everyone loved Ramsay, everyone but Norris, who was disgusted by the way people fawned over Ramsay and saw him as a saint. Ramsay suddenly died and Emily was heartbroken. Emily said everyone always pities the dead, but not the living who have to pick up the pieces time and time again. She said she's tired of picking up the pieces.

Kevin and Molly are having an affair. Molly becomes very angry and insecure whenever Kevin is around his wife Sally.

Becky and Steve married, but Becky was arrested on her wedding day after her old cop nemesis, Hooch, found stuff on her. The charges were dropped, but her old boyfriend is back in the picture and will probably be causing trouble.

Maria and Tony are together and are raising baby Liam, but Carla is on her way back to town very soon.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I'm still watching July episodes.... the show is in a bit of a slump this summer, but that is not to say that it isn't still well-written, at least in an episode-to-episode basis.

Ramsay has turned inconsequential... I don't really care anymore, the sooner he leaves the better.

Graham is just amazing, hilarious fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I hope you will keep Maggie Jones in your thoughts or your prayers. She plays Blanche, one of the funniest characters around. She's 75. They aren't releasing details, but she had to have emergency surgery and she's in critical condition. :(

This has not been a very happy year for Corrie.

• Members

So I'm studying in England for the year, and eveywhere that I go that sells magazines I see the Soap ones with a Coronation Street cover. Is it worth checking out while I'm here? It seems to be pretty big. And if I start watching, can I keep watching somehow in the States if I get hooked? LOL!