Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

THANK YOU!

Blanche to Deirdre:

"You need to learn to enjoy other people's misfortune; otherwise, you're going to have a very unhappy old age."

hahahaha!

Blanche to Tracy:

"You look remarkably chipper. Trod on a snail?"

Double hahahahahahaha

Blanche talking about Ross at Peter's AA meeting:

"I've never heard so much self-indulgent whinging in all my life. Is there some correlation between how boring you are and how much you drink?"

triple..

And this just typifies Blanche:

Blanche to Deirdre:

"Good looks are a curse. You and Ken should count yourselves lucky."

• Members

Oh, Maggie.... :(

The AA meeting scenes were indeed just pure gold...

Meanwhile, Joe smashing his way into the medical centre in search of pills made it far easier to accept all the months of his addiction. (yeah, I'm still watching Aug eps :lol:) It was a good, unexpected climax.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

OMG What a shock to see her in her first episode! I had never so much seen a single photo of hers from an earlier era....

I just feel sad they didn't use her more since the 70s... it was decades before they brought her on permanently.... She will be so missed.

• Members

I also wish they'd used her more earlier on. She was a talk-to for Deirdre, she dated Dave Smith (a bookie who also dated Elsie Tanner), and for a few episodes ran the Rovers (can you imagine later Blanche doing that). She was a very different character back then. Then they wrote her out for years and mostly focused on Deirdre alone. It was only when they brought her back 10 years ago that they added more of the sarcastic touches, but even in the older stuff you can't take your eyes off her.

Of course she wasn't even the first actress to play Blanche but she did take over early on and she was amazing.

Funny, you can see Ken in that 1974 clip, looking on after the slap.

Edited by CarlD2