Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Ste exists solely to make us weep for Brendan. Why does Ste make Brendan so angry? Why can't Ste understand Brendan? Brendan can't be a perfect father like Ste, he's had it so hard...why doesn't Ste get this? When Brendan hits Ste, it's out of love. It's dark, and sexy, and hot, and maybe they will live happily ever after. If not, who cares, since Ste is the equivalent of a punching bag who occasionally forgets his place.

The real key to the horrible writing for Brendan is everyone around him. Ste is pointless. Cheryl is a braying jackass, no more or less. Pete, who is in a wheelchair for life, was removed from the story after the show turned it around to where Brendan was the victim for getting into a car accident/suicide attempt that almost killed Pete. Brendan's ex-wife, who appeared not even a year ago saying she knew and had accepted Brendan's homosexuality, suddenly acts shocked and bigoted.

It's Brendan and the straw people.

This show is so hollowed out that I can't even blame them for destroying everyone around Brendan to give Emmett Scanlan good material. He gets attention, he gets awards, and the ratings have increased in recent months. Great. But please please stop writing "Stendan" as a love story, and Brendan as a poor little angel. Just write Ste out. He's already gone anyway.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I agree with everything you said, but I don't think writing Ste out is the solution. I like him, he has history, but they need to put him in a new relationship....and a dynamic one at that.

Noah was cute and all, but their story was so boring compared to what Ste's first gay relationship was. Brendan and Ste were exciting, and riveting in the beginning, but after it became apparent Brendan was not going to stop hitting Ste...it became unsettling.

I would like Ste to find someone else, the complete opposite of Brendan, but with a story just as riveting. Right now he is just coming off as so sad, when I saw him run after Brendan half-naked , my heart sunk, it was his lowest point on this show...so sad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, with Sarah Jayne Dunn leaving again, it just brings up old emotions of fury for the complete waste of a talented actress and one of the characters that first put Hollyoaks on the map. Really, really, sad. Who wants to bet her and Tony will reunite just in time for Silas to claim another victim? angry.png

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

I assume they had some contract with Sarah Jayne Dunn that was too expensive to break - otherwise, there's no reason for their piss-poor writing for Mandy when they clearly had zero interest in the character.

But then the whole show is piss-poor, full of stories that simultaneously rush through and go nowhere. What annoys me most is when they get praise for "issue" stories, like Brendan beating Ste (a story that has, from very early on, been one pity party for Brendan after another). Or the Silas mess. Or worst of them all, the Jason story, which somehow became about months and months of a very uncomfortable actress, in an extremely bad wig, popping out her eyes and yelling over her middle-aged would be boyfriend.