Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Members

Yes, that's it. A Ford. No wonder I can't watch them.

Everything they've done with the Ste story is so irresponsible and poorly written. The chemistry isn't worth it, and they have so limited Ste that he would probably disappear if he wasn't there to help hype Brendan. I'm still baffled about why they ever planned to make Brendan a monster in the first place. Emmett Scanlan has played him as a loveable, comic character who suffers the most of anyone, and that's where the show went too. It's always disconcerting to see such a violent figure turned into a campy martyr.

I read that they are finally showing Charlie. I guess all the Becca/Justin clips I've been watching lately put that into the universe.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They're finally bringing Charlie into the picture of Hollyoaks?! It's been, at least 3 or 4 years since he was born out of Becca and Justin's affair.

I'm thinking that TPTB are just amazed that the soap press in the UK have lost their minds over Emmett Scanlan, that they're going to do anything and everything to keep him front and present on their show. It's like he's the Luke/Todd/EJ/Victor/Adam Jr. of UK soaps. American soaps for decades have turned male violent figures into martyrs all the time.

• Members

You're right. It's very offputting, and it doesn't help that his backstory is so poorly written and so scared of actually making him edgy. It's all posing. What is the point of bringing in Pete for a revenge tale when it turns into another example of how Brendan suffers (Pete's accident being a result of Brendan's suicide attempt)? Then you have the stuff with Macca that went nowhere, the family we never see, the rivalry with Warren that is mostly for laughs. Anything bad he does is treated as being out of love. He beat Ste out of love. He killed Danny Houston for love. And so on.

I would probably care less if they hadn't ruined Ste for all of this.

• Members

Seriously. The Macca part of the storyline just ended strange. Didn't Brendan put Macca BACK in the hospital, in order to get him to leave town and go back to Ireland? The same viewers who are now rooting for Stendan, thought that he was "delusional and pathetic" for wanting to get back with Brendan (after knowing that he was abusive towards him). Yet, it's a COMPLETELY different situation for Stephen, because "he's in love". On one hand, I'm glad that these characters (including Noah) aren't written like US based daytime serial gays have been in the most recent past (that they have to be "non-threatening good gays" all the time), but in Hollyoaks need to keep a "good thing going", they're destroying (IMO) one half of that pairing.

• Members

Thanks, Carl for posting up the clips. I never knew that Darren was working the 90's bleached blond hair in the past. The casting folks will always remember what viewers are really looking for in the show: YOUNG AND HOT BODIES. Damn, Danny Mac does look like the actor portraying Ford on OLTL.

Carl, have you seen the latest clips in the abuse storyline between Brendan, Ste and Noah? I still think it's interesting that, for some viewers, it's worse to be perceived as being an effeminate gay character on screen, then being a self-hating, manipulative and abusive gay man, who beats up on the men he has sex with.

Edited by difficultdiva

• Members

I haven't bothered with the recent stuff yet. I have heard some fans say they think Ste will pretend to be abused by Brendan and this is all some big secret plan. I can't imagine what that is about. All I know is that Hollyoaks teaches viewers abuse is love and the abuser is the real victim.

There is also some rumor that

• Members

Brendan's just misunderstood. :mad: Can't you see how much pain he's in, because he's got to "protect" Ste from Warren. Even though, Ste doesn't have to be in this mess at all, if he just allowed himself a BIT of common sense and self-preservation and stop allowing Brendan to call the shots all the time. Amy was right: Ste IS a puppy.

With that spoiler, CarlD. Don't you know