Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think of all the characters Marquess actually wrote out and who didn't leave of their own choice the only two who should have stayed were Michaela and Zak. I would also say Dave, but I'm not sure if he was fired. I would have said Charlotte but Marquess said she wanted to leave. I have mixed feelings about Dom - I don't miss him a lot but I hated his exit.

The new characters are a problem though. People love Brendan and to a lesser degree Jason so much that it's easier to ignore just how flat, and in the case of the O'Connor's, soul-sucking many of these new characters are.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

The Sun, which usually gets soap stuff right, says Hollyoaks might be canceled. Apparently Jay Hunt, taking over Channel 4 soon, is targeting the soap. She was pretty unpopular for her decisions at the BBC.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/3337159/SOAP-is-facing-the-axe-over-falling-ratings-and-failed-characters-C4-insiders-have-revealed.html

• Members

I don't think shock tactics work for ratings. Kirkwood slowly but surely rebuilt Hollyoaks before the Dog fire, which then created story for a fair amount of time. Marquess did the fire, with costly reshoots, and it is already an afterthought.

I just hate seeing soaps go because generally these days other soaps don't replace them.

• Members

I was looking at his IMDB, Gareth Philips had a long history with Corrie being a writer and then series editor from 2001-2006, which were generally very strong years for Corrie. The 2003-2006 era in particular being a real highlight.

Hmm, I may give the show a chance again when he arrives, but a few months after his name is credited. You know it's going to take a miracle to clean this show up...

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner