Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't know how to do any of that. :lol: I haven't even seen it yet. I hope it's worth it, as the show has toned down the nudity in recent years. I would care about Carl Costello if he got naked.

It reminds me of when Andy Moss was asked about an embarrassing moment and he mentioned the first late night special he was in, where he and Gilly were in their underwear, with closeups of their crotches. I wonder what he'd say about this one...

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Oh I will probably watch the episode -- I have been trying to get back into the show. It's just not all that easy, because I find the whole thing so sleazy and hollow. I hear such huge hype for the show from places like DS but I'm not connecting to it. I'm still so annoyed about Steph, and about the awful new characters. And the show seems to be made up as it goes along.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I'm glad I don't go to the NBC boards :lol:

I think some of them make good points and aren't afraid to criticize down spots, and one or two have even defended Bryan Kirkwood in the weird witch hunt against him there, but I think that the show just gets way too much leeway for being such a mess. I guess it depends on how much you care about Brendan. If you love him then apparently you love the show.

What I really don't get is how do you bring on 3 new families and then know very little about what to do with most of them storywise. Not to mention the mess of the new students -- they wrote out Charlotte and Dave just for these ciphers who are barely around?

It's all style over substance, but there isn't a whole lot of style.

At least they are giving Jacqui more to do, which is nice, but I could think of better for her. I guess I should be grateful she's not stuck in the baby hell she was for most of 2007-2009.

• Members

Watched the King of Hearts thing.

I enjoyed the scenes with Myra and Kathleen. I don't like Kathleen but she's believable as a McQueen, one of the darker of the bunch (I'd love to see her with Nana). Myra had some great lines, the best being when she dragged Kathleen out of the police station ("she weighs more than me!") and then when Rhys said "ASAP" and she said, "are you calling me a sap?" Nicole Barber Lane makes the silliest stuff work.

Was it wrong that by the end I was hoping Jacqui would get together with Danny Houston? Once you get past the accent which reminds me of the worst of Eastenders "gangster" stories, he seemed to respect Jacqui by the end, as he offered her the money with no strings attached. Meanwhile, Rhys called her a prostitute twice and immediately had unprotected sex with another woman.

I don't see any chemistry between Jacqui and Rhys. The body language and the reactions aren't of people who are in love. When Rhys called her a slut and she left, hurt, he barely flinched. He should have been devastated at what he'd said.

Andy Moss is a good actor but you wouldn't really know it from here. A lot of face-pulling passed off as acting. And Gilly -- shoehorning his rage issues into this story was a bit of a strange choice. Since they needed some pointless sex, I would rather have seen him with the woman who had the briefcase. From past episodes, Anthony Quinlan has the arse for a late night special.

Does anyone else wonder if they only had that Cheryl/Rhys sex scene because someone had some Russ Meyer fetish about Cheryl's breasts? You can't have that head-in-cleavage shot in the regular timeslot.

Why did Cheryl not remember she set Rhys and Jacqui up in the first place?

I did not like that bad club music overpowering scenes in the first half.

The best part for me was Clare Cooper's performance, especially her scene with Carmel, which I LOVED, even with Carmel's Rickie Lee Jones beret. It was beautiful, especially when Carmel told Jacqui she would be giving her last bit of dignity away, and Jacqui asked what Carmel would have done to save Calvin. Great stuff. It reminded me of when the McQueens first started on the show, and how special they were. They still work well together, especially when Bart isn't around.

• Members

I haven't watched Hollyoaks since the episode where Malachy died.

As for the Sharpes, that's just pathetic really. So much time wasted on these nothing characters, and it all lead absolutely nowhere. Good riddance though, but still, they need to focus on getting rid of the heavies (and I mean that literally.)

• Members

That is awful but I love it :lol:

We are two of the only ones commenting and we haven't really watched recently. The King of Hearts thing was the first for me in a while. Clare Cooper was good and I loved the Myra scenes and the Jacqui/Carmel scene but be grateful you missed Rhys on top of Cheryl and her legs in the air.

I'm surprised at how quickly they dumped the Sharpes, I mean they ripped a hole through weeks of filmed episodes just for this. This didn't happen with the Valentines. I wonder if the ratings are still so low that Marquess was told to do this. But generally most of his new characters have been duds, brought in way too fast, given no personality or a personality that changes depending on the day.

I don't see much reason to keep a lot of the other new characters either, although Jasmine/Jason seems popular, and Brendan is also popular.