Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Members

Darren's grief will be all about Duncan making grotesque faces and eating. Cheryl will take center stage, as always.

I think they wanted some big dramatic death for Steph. The problem is that the show is so empty and gimmicky that it doesn't really work. Look at the emptiness of this story about how battering your lover is hot or whatever.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

All of this talk of Stephaniedeladean dying is making me sad. I just don't get how/why people accept it when shows are almost entirely unrecognizable from what they were just four years earlier. I don't have the history most of you guys have with Oaks, but Steph is one of my faves.

And Duncan? Please don't tell me they really want him to happen. He's gross. And not because he's fat.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Max and OB are the greatest partnership in Hollyoaks history. Nothing will ever come close.

To involve Steph, if Matt Littler had stayed, Max and Steph would have been the signature couple of the show. I'm sure they would have had their problems, but I do think the show would have been committed to them in the longterm.

• Members

Duncan is, like Cheryl and Brendan, a cheap, easy, one-note character. Silly faces = lots of attention. And they have no real history so Marquess can do what he wants with them.

Marquess is lucky because Hollyoaks was gutted by the last producer before he came along. Unfortunately he has just gutted the show even more and produced some of the most shallow characters I've seen on a soap.

After the last few years I don't know. I can easily see Matt being let go even if he'd wanted to stay. Or completely backburnered. I think Allan would have just given him dumb comedy stories and Marquess would have fired him.

• Members

That's exactly it, Amello. It just reeks of "Well, he's not a hunk, so obviously we can't put him in any serious storylines. Or serious scenes. Or give him anything serious to say. We have to call attention to his girth as often as possible because if we don't, the fans will be confused. And he must be sexually-frustrated." Judd Apatow would be proud.

And those three are all Marquess creations? Sheesh. Cheryl hasn't been on too much yet for me to fully form an opinion on her, so we'll see. Brendan...ugh. A cartoon.

What really was the deal behind Matt and Darren leaving the show? I haven't really found anything other than they just wanted to break more into behind the scenes work and presenting. For some strange reason, I've always had this baseless notion that they were disenchanted with how soapy/dramatic the show had become as opposed to what I've always figured were lighter and more comedic earlier years. But I could be totally wrong on that.