Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was just happy to see Steph laughing and smiling again, and leaving on a more touching note, instead of choosing to burn up in a fire after a horribly maudlin, poorly paced cancer story. And she got to go on her own terms, instead of her death being about Lee Hunter's boy band. The last scene where Frankie got her message meant a lot to me, even if I don't like Frankie.

Those types of moments are what Hollyoaks does so well, not the endless regurgitated dourness which goes nowhere and has no followthrough. The least believable family I've ever seen on a soap (the Costellos) being rushed out after their plot device grandfather murdered his daughter. Warren given the bum's rush mostly because the actor quit - before that they never bothered to give him a storyline. Yet more installments of the noblest, most long-suffering murderer and boyfriend-beater around, Brendan Brady. No thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

This story will likely make Doug a hate figure among "Stendan" fans, as no story is ever told for them other than the latest cannon fodder for Brendan's abusive ways. The more Brendan beats, the more noble he is, according to the show. I liked Doug a lot but I think this story will end very badly for him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I only mostly keep up through reading soap boards. It's tough to care about any of the British soaps now. What annoys me most is when I hear endless talk about how brilliant the Silas or Brendan or Jason stories were - I thought most of them were garbage, poorly paced and not all that well acted. They just had more energy than the show has now.

I do like Doug, although I'm not sure where they will go with him.

I'll always have a soft spot for Darren (not with Nancy) and Jacqui (not with Rhys).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Jay Hunt, now running Channel 4, said that Hollyoaks is not on best form. (That's an understatement). This is leading to more speculation about the show getting the axe. What annoys me most with this is people will say, "Oh if only they'd kept up those great Marquess stories." Yes, nothing says success like a horribly edited fire that served no purpose, dumping an entire family and the only likeable member of another family, rendering that family totally pointless, and telling stories that say domestic violence is sexy and that if you cut yourself, you can get whatever you want.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/may/15/channel-4-axe-hollyoaks?newsfeed=true

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I am loving Hollyoaks at the moment. I just love Mitzee and Riley. Mercedes stalking Mitzee and stabbing herself is a great story. My only problem is what the actress who plays Mercedes has done to her face. Now we have the murder mystery over Lyndsey's death.

• Members

Me to. I've never watched this show regularly, and only recently started casually watching, but now I'm hooked. It's not perfect, and there have been some dodgy editing going on, but it's definitely engaging me. I love Riley & Mitzeee, too, and hope they find their way back to each other; deranged Mercedes is awesome, and what a pathological liar she is. My only issue is how fickle Riley is - he has no loyalty to any of the women, and is so quick to believe that Mitzeee stabbed Mercy, even though he'd just declared his love to her! Seriously, he's so stupid he doesn't even ask himself how Mercy knew about Mitzeee's anti-anxiety meds, not to mention her history of lying!

Lynsey had become a bit of a favourite character of mine, so I'm disappointed she's left. However, this mystery is certainly intriguing. I hope it has nothing to do with Silas, not after she brought him to justice.

• Members

Riley definitely does not come off well in this story, but I am giving him a break for believing Mercy because it is a plot device and I am willing to think that it is guilt on his part. After all, even Mitzeee is not sure what happened. Mercy is playing them both at the moment.

I just adore Mitzeee. I love how she goes from looking glamorous to looking like the girl next door with barely any make up and sweats. She really is a sweet girl. Riley needs to man up and show that he is worthy of her love and devotion.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

That's true, Mercy is very convincing; however, there's no excuse for not standing by your girl - innocent until proven guilty, Riley. But, it's a plot device, so I can let it go. He's sure gonna look stupid when Mercy's lies eventually hit the fan.

Mitzeee is very attractive without all the make-up on, but she can pull off both looks. She's my favourite character, now, and I love that she has modern ambitions without being arrogant and vacuous, but is instead genuinely nice.

What do you think of the teens? There a low point for me.

I haven't had to suffer through all of that like you, so that didn't bother me. From what I saw of Cheryl in the past, I never liked her, but now, they've toned her down and given her nicer hair, and she's growing on me; I though BW did a great job with her scenes, especially when she had to identify Lynsey's body.