Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Members

I would love if they traded Walker for Brendan. I was so into this current story with them and maybe I was foolishly ignorant, but I really thought he was somehow going to pay this time. I kept waiting for Cheryl or his kid to end up dead or something, but it seems he's now going to be rewarded with Doug being villainized and his reunion with Ste. I've been had! :(

However, though it is sad to see how much Mercedes has fallen, I can't deny that this week was great entertainment. I just fanwank it all that she's never truly recovered from Malachy's death. Plus, Jack / Frankie / Darren / Nancy always, always deliver.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There wouldn't be much to fast forward, just teens and Mercedes being nuts to prop boring Mitzeee. I am so detached that it's difficult to invest again. If Emmett Scanlan finally leaves to be the big movie superstar, or whatever, and Ste goes too, I will be more likely to try the show another time. I'd like Doug to murder them and then walk off into the night. If they do that I will watch.

Doug is evil, and a bad person, and pathetic, and wants to stop true love for "sassy" Ste. I never know how "sassy" you can be when you're getting beaten unconscious, but hey, sounds like fun, doesn't it.

The whole story is a soap killer, and it's no coincidence that Brendan's tenure has had all time low ratings.

• Members

Another firing list.

All the students bar three or four who are closely related to core families. They are all disposable and intensive efforts to make viewers love them doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Ste - Sorry but I don't care how "sassy" it is to pine for getting a cracked rib. This character ceased to exist once they just decided to give him Kieron Richardson's personality and have Ste there to swoon over Brendan. Have Brendan beat him to death, and play this throughout:

Theresa - written into a corner a long time ago

Carmel - mostly around because she is a McQueen

Mercedes - too much to come back from

Cheryl - a bad drag queen who has zero purpose outside of enabling her rubber faced brother

Brendan - Emmett is likely leaving soon anyway, to become a global superstar, but I'll still include him

Texas - is she still a thing? Can she read her lines yet?

Will - shouty fake nerd loser

Ally - pointless

Diane - have her go teach seminars on agoraphobia and having invisible children.

Tom - it's just time

Doug - I just want anything that went near Ste or Brendan off of the show, and the character will always be a hate figure to most viewers anyway, because he dared to touch Sassy Ste

And please don't bring hammy Silas back, ever.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Barney / Annalise / Ash / Liberty / Ally / Will - I don't mind the rest of the young ones now that I've actually watched the show.

You can't get rid of Texas, Carl! Texas and Dodger are one of the best couples this show has had in years.

Doug - I don't like the actor.

Jenn / Tilly - They suck. Becca is rolling in her grave!

Diane and Sinead I want to stay because they are tremendous actors. Diane especially. Brookside 4eva!

Bring on a recast Holly and Tony's son, Harry. I'd start a returns list, but it would just hurt too much.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

I fell for their romance story, but so far they have done zero as a couple. I think you could blink and miss the fact they are finally together.

Hit list: (I don't think many of these need much explaining outside of: they suck.)

Ruby

Sinead

Jono

Bart

Neal

Ally

Liam

Jen

Tilly

Esther

Liberty

Dennis

Leanne

Ste

Brendan (I'd substitute him for Walker)

Joel

Theresa

Diane doesn't harm anyone; she's recurring, and barely at that, but she does steal the scenes she's in. I also like her friendship w/ Martha, and she does need a friend.

I think Annalise and Barney have potential. Rob, as a supporting player is OK.

If they can do something with Texas & Dodger, then she can stay, as they do make a lovely couple. But, she's very wooden, and if she and Dodger fail, then she should go.

I like Cheryl, now. I used to think she looked like a drag queen, too, Carl, but since they've straightened her hair and dressed her better, and toned her down, she's a much better character, IMO. But, without Brendan and Lynsey, she would have no connections left, so I'd get rid of her.

• Members

Didn't see this posted yet and I can't imagine this return turning out well....

http://www.digitalsp...ul-mcqueen.html

Funny enough, BBC America started airing Bedlam (which stars Lacey Turner) last Saturday, and Sutton guested in that episode. He really doesn't look all that different than he did 6 years ago.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I have a feeling this was all Kirkwood.

The "McDean" fans will be very upset, as they got their happy ending. I was not a fan of that relationship, as it quickly destroyed both characters and suffered from poor writing and awkward performances, but I can see why their fans will be upset.

John Paul lost any purpose as a character over a year before he left. James Sutton had so much personality and spark early on which went away and never came back (not even when he was on Emmerdale).

Will John Paul get punched by Brendan? Or raped by him? Maybe both? I can't wait to find out. Even better, how quickly will viewers hate John Paul for being a threat to Brendan and "sassy Ste"?

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

On the bright side, the show should at least be commeneded for the amount of gay characters they have on the show: Brendan, Ste, Doug, George, Esther, Tilly, Jenn and now John Paul. Though with JP returning, I do think this will be the end of Doug, whcih is fine for me because I don't like the actor.

Oh, and I must say I really like Dylan, the partially deaf character. I wish they would have Esther / Phoebe / Dylan / Lacey team up to destory Maddie / Sinead / Ruby. And Esther needs to pull a Nicole Owen and tell these bitches off like Nicole did to Sarah and Nancy.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

It's interesting to read the comments about Rhys being "ruined" by this story with Cindy. All I can think is ruined from what? Rhys has always been weak, selfish, a liar, a cheat. That's a basic part of the character. It tells me that people who say this mostly just cared when he was holding Jacqui's hand, a relationship I never believed, and one which mostly felt like Paul Marquess throwing actors together because he had no other idea what to do with the characters.

The same goes for Nancy and Darren. What a relentlessly depressing and miserable couple this is. Nancy and Darren would never be together. Darren would hate everything Nancy stood for, and vice versa. The actors have little chemistry.

Paul Marquess threw actors together instead of writing stories, and destroyed the last bits left of Hollyoaks in the process.