Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Catching up on Hollyoaks, not having watched that much regularly since JP/Craig left. But I did watch a bit during the Ravi/Kris period some of the Nancy/Lynsey stuff and then I've of course seen this dreadful Ste/Brendan mess. Poor Doug.

But watching this and Days at the same time is making my head spin. Going from JP and this baby to Will and his baby drama and then Will claiming Texas shoved him down the stairs after just living through that Nicole/Jennifer storyline. Good grief.

• Members

From what I've read, people have said the story basically tells viewers not to bother reporting bullying, because everyone will laugh at you and hate you and no one will believe you, and will always side with those who hate you.

If so, then I guess that's not unrealistic, but it's a very stark message to send.

It sounds like he also is back to writing Frankie as a huge bitch, as he did the last time he was at the show. I wonder if he has an issue with the actress.

• Members

I don't see that message at all. I don't know how these ridiculous hidden meanings are conjured up, but it's pretty pathetic. You should really watch how fantastic today's episode was. And I like Frankie as a fabulous yet hypocritical snob, because that's how I fell in love with her. The only thing Kirkwood disrespects about the Frankie character is the existence of Debbie. Plus, like today's episode, he's given her great material. And the only message the show is sending out is that bullying is wrong and has dangerous consequences. Period. End of story.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

That episode was awesome, but the writing for Jen ruined what could have been perfect. This is a character who has tried to support Esther, and then she sees her with a bottle of vodka, knows about the bullying, but walks away!? That seemed out of character to me. They reunited Jen & Tilly, but are simply retreading over the same old ground. Jen chose her career over Tilly, and now they're back together again, it's still a secret and her career is still more important than anyone else. So what's new?

I think everyone's reactions have been credible and realistic. The Headmaster not wanting it to get out that he did nothing about the bullying when it was brought to his attention by Jen; Frankie's reaction to Esther's suicide attempt has been realistic, even though she's been portrayed in a very poor light prior to this. Jen is now a ruined character, and she's not rooted enough to the show to be redeemed in a believable way, so she really should leave at some point. I think they've got the right message across about attempted suicide, but I can see where Carl is coming from regarding the bullying aspect of the story. The Headmaster knew about it and did nothing, and so did Jen - a teacher - and she failed her. So what encouragement is there for other victims to talk to a responsible adult at school about bullying, when Hollyoaks have shown that it may all be for nothing? Of course Esther is representing the kids who don't feel they can talk to anyone and choose suicide as a way out, but I don't think the show should have had the school knowing and doing nothing about it, only to cover it all up. It would have been better if Jen wasn't thrown under the bus and shown to be trying to support Esther whenever she could, or the Headmaster should have been in the dark all along. One of them needed to be written in a more positive light, IMO.

• Members

Tilly has redeemed herself in my eyes, from being fast forward material, if anything else.

Next week is going to be amazing as Ruby and Sinead finally get their comeuppance. And Jen needs to be Becca'ed STAT!

On the opposite of the coin, I can't say enough how great an addition Phoebe is. Absolutely love everything about her.

Also, Emmett Scanlan has been looking so goddamn hot lately. Damn!

• Members

Even more fantastic and incredible news!!!

http://www.digitalspy.ca/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a455764/hollyoaks-bronagh-waugh-leaving-cheryl-brady-role.html

With her gone, all the characters Lucy Allan brought on are gone, too. (And yes, I know Kirkwood technically created her.) However, ever since they toned her down, I've been able to stand her existence.

• Members

Looks like the Gillian Taylforth rumors were true. I've grown to miss Kathy quite a bit over the years and even though Taylforth has mostly done some not overly memorable reality TV in the last few years, I hope she still has the acting chops. I may actually have to watch her first episode, especially if the show can somehow make sure people like Ste and Frankie are not on my (computer) screen at that point.

Clare is also returning. I don't think that will work, but we'll see.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a456298/hollyoaks-gillian-taylforth-joins-gemma-bissix-returns.html

• Members

I don't have good vibes about Clare returning (again!). It just seems like a desperate attempt to recapture the past instead of moving the show forward. I hope she won't be a panto villain, which I suspect she will be.

The show has lost some characters recently, and could do with losing a few more to give them a more manageable cast size; but what do they go and do? Add a new family of 6! What happened to Kirkwood loving the Kanes? Lacey was given an off screen exit, while Callum, Martha and (until last week) Ash have been MIA for months. They're badly written characters now, anyway. And GT's character is gonna be another spare part, just like all the +30 characters end up being.

I'd love for them to all work out, but I just think it's a way of papering over the cracks, just like he did at EE, when he continued the inherited mess left by Santer.

GT's comment about being approached by TPTB at EE to think of a way to bring back Kathy was odd. How come she couldn't think of a single plausible storyline to resurrect Kathy? Actually, how come TPTB couldn't think of a way to bring back Kathy?

• 2 weeks later...